Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
puglvr1

June Buds and Blooms

puglvr1
12 years ago

Wanted to share some buds and blooms for the month of June...hope you like them! Thanks for sharing them with me!

Carnosa...

Meliflua...this particular bloom has the most nectar by far, very sticky.

Sigillatis buds...a little over half of them blasted due to the extreme heat and possibly because I didn't water it soon enough :o( Not sure if these will fall off too.

Hoya pottsii

Stephanotis floribunda

And the hoya that I'm most excited about...My elliptica has buds!! After seeing Cindy's gorgeous blooms several weeks ago...I'm super excited to see mine budding up. Hope it doesn't blast. Will post "if" and when they open.

Comments (34)

• cpawl
    12 years ago

Thanks for sharing your photos.I sure hope your Sigillatis goes on to flower.
    I am so excited for you to be able to get to see your elliptica bloom.
    My elliptica is about to open her flowers again.
    All your hoyas seem very happy.

Cindy

• kellyknits
    12 years ago

Fabulous pictures!

I keep debating meliflua- it's so pretty, but looks SO messy!

VERY exciting about elliiptica! After restarting mine last year, it's done REALLY well, but no buds. What kind of light is yours getting? Wondering if mine should be moved outside.

Kelly

• lightning96
    12 years ago

I love the meliflua the best! But they are all beautiful! And the stephanotis...I can't get mine to bloom. What conditions is yours growing in?

• mel_10
    12 years ago

Beautiful blooms, Pug! I keep meliflua on my wishlist but the amount of sticky nectar makes me nervous to actually get it. Just beautiful!!!!

Mel

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks everyone!

Cindy, I can't wait to see it...I hope it does open.

Kelly, all of those hoyas are outside...NO direct sun but very bright (North side) of my house against the white walls of my house...so lots of reflective light as well. I put elliptica outside in a covered entry way since March when I read Cindy got hers to bloom in a very cool room...my temps at night in March dipped in the mid to upper 50's. Not sure if the cooler nights with the hot day temps contributed to getting them to bud up? Now the temps at night have been in the low 70's and we won't be seeing 50's at night till Mid November.

Lightning, my stephanotis is outside...one of the few plants I left outside (against the wall of my house) all year.I covered them with heavy blankets when we wuld get freezes/frost. Although I did lose about 1/3 of the plant during one of those freezes, luckily it did survive and has put out some new growths and blooms. It also gets a lot of mostly indirect birght...and about an hour each of early morning and late afternoon sun.

Mel, Meliflua is messy but its worth it,lol...but I do grow it outside so I don't worry about the mess. Thank goodness!

Lightning, here's a picture I took in May.

• golden_ca_2000
    12 years ago

Beautiful photos pug!! Thanks for sharing... I really like the leaves on your Sigillatis well worth purchasing the plant just for the foliage! Also your pottsii looks very pretty with the redish leaves... do you happen to know the variety of pottsii that is? (As I am ordering one from the liddles and I really like the leaves on yours)

• dmichael619
    12 years ago

Very nice blooms Pug!!! I particularly like the meliflua pics!!!

Please tell me how you get your sigillatis to bloom. Mine grows fairly well,though it's not the fastest horse in the race and it has put on peduncles at least twice but never bloomed and during the winter months it tends to drop those peduncles.

I have a few flower shots to share. This first one is H. bicolor and you can't really tell by the photo but this is actually 2 peduncles that have fused together. The flowers are quite tiny and very sweet and spicy.

H. heuschkeliana (pink clone)

H. engleriana,took a little break now it's blooming again

I got this hoya from Asiatica nursery labeled as H. vitellinoides.

H. sp. Estrella Waterfall IML 1256. These flowers are tiny and apple green with a white corona and if you look closely you'll notice that they have some visitors on them!!

H. davidcummingii

H. kanyakumariana

This last one is H. sp. kalimantan IML 1168. I got this hoya from David Liddle a few years ago and it rooted very quickly and put on new growth just as fast. Soon after it went into decline for no apparent reason. I had to restart it at least a half dozen times or so and at times ended up having only a 2 node cutting left. This year it has taken off and is really growing!!! This is it's first time blooming.

I have several other things in bloom right now as well, I just need to go out and get their pictures. I also have a few first timers coming up that I can hardly wait to see, such as H. graveolens!!!

• kellyknits
    12 years ago

David,
    Can you post a picture of the leaves of H. sp. kalimantan IML 1168? Of leaves of this type which hoya would you say is the "best" for contrast between the leaf and the vein?

Also, noticed on the Bicolor the flowers don't have dark tips as I've seen pictured. Do you think it's due to light? Got this one last year and it's really starting to grow!

Great pictures!

Thanks!
    Kelly

• dmichael619
    12 years ago

Kelly,

I only have 2 hoyas (I think) with contrasting green leaves like that and they are callistophylla IML 0554 and the sp. Kalimantan IML 1168. Of the 2 the Kalimantan is probably the best but I like them both equally. The leaves on it are very dark green whereas the leaves on my callistophylla are a brighter, lighter green.

Speaking of H. callistophylla my plant is nearly 8 years old and FINALLY decided to bless me with some flowers.Which by the way look identical to those of the sp. Kalimantan,the only noticeable difference I can see is that the callistophylla blooms are a bit larger.

H. callistophylla IML 0554

H. finlaysonii "MM"

You know what I just realized that the hoya pictured in my first post above is not H. bicolor. Thanks Kelly for bringing that to my attention!!! I will have to look tomorrow and see just what it is. I'll also get you a picture of the leaves from the sp. Kalimantan.

David

• mdahms1979
    12 years ago

Pug those are all beautiful but if you ever need someone to plantsit your meliflua I am available. LOL

David I just love Hoya sp Estrella waterfall. I got my plant last year and I can't wait for it to bloom. Is the fragrance as nice as they say?
    Hoya kanyakumariana is such a sweet little plant.

I have a couple blooming now but the only one I had wanted to photograph was Hoya lasiantha. When I checked today the blooms were faded so I will have to wait until next time.

Mike

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Golden, David and Mike!

Golden, I'm sorry that I don't know what IML that pottsii is...actually got that one as a NOID and later was ID on this forum. Sorry, I couldn't have been more help.

David...OMG!! Those blooms are all to die for...just GORGEOUS! Its hard to pick a favorite. The leaves on the IML #1168 are absolutely beautiful! Thanks for the pictures!

Mike, you can plant sit that hoya anytime,lol...

Check out the tiny little spider on this bloom. I had to hurry and take the picture...I was afraid it was going to bite me,lol...

• rennfl
    12 years ago

Oh my what a wonderful group of pics to wake up to.

I love the buds on the callistophylla, they are so dark.

And everytime I see a pic of meliflua, well, I'm so glad I just ordered one of these. I can't wait for it.

Renee

• dmichael619
    12 years ago

Pug those are neat little buds,what do they belong to???

The spider on the other hand I can live without!!! I'm not sure why but over the years as i've gotten older I have become just a wee bit terrified of them. I'm not sure why though because some years ago ( still in my teens and i'll be 44 Sunday) I had a giant female red knee tarantula. Something just triggered in my head I guess and told be to be scared of them!! Now just seeing one gives me goose bumps and makes the hair on my neck stand up.

• dmichael619
    12 years ago

Several posts above this one you will see this picture

I listed it in that posting as H. bicolor but it is not that hoya. It should be labeled as H. macgregorii a hoya that I got from Sweden a few years ago.

• greedygh0st
    12 years ago

/Pug

I also wish I could figure out which pottsii you have, because every time I see it I admire it so much. I have a couple myself, but although I like them a lot, they do not have the rich velvety matte look of yours. Are those leaves succulent?

Also, congratulations on your sigillatis making the big comeback! Even if the buds are blasting, it's still looking good!

I forgot how beautiful meliflua's buds are!!! Every time a Hoya blooms, some other plant in the house hangs its head in shame. jk ;)

/David

Those 2 fused peduncles of mcgregorii are amazing. l I literally have to tear my eyes away from the photograph.

I really like the vitellinoides, too. Soooo pale and soft and creamy. I love all the water droplets you captured. Post-drenching pictures are the best!

All I have to say about sp. Estrella Waterfall is that if I get a cutting from Liddle and it doesn't root, my heart is going to crumple up and blow away.

Those chocolatey buds on the callistophylla are pretty rockin!

Also, I'm glad you confirmed to me that the finlaysonii "MM" really is as spectacular as photographs always make it look. What is up with this plant? Is it a Michael Miyashiro selected cultivar or something? Way too cool.

You know, it's funny you mention that you think your attitude toward spiders has changed because mine has too! When I was a kid, I was never particularly troubled by them, but sometime last year I was riding with my mom and there was a common spider climbing around over my head and I couldn't believe the humiliating way I was gripped by a panic attack. I like spiders and particularly like them hanging out near my plants, but if they get near me, the logic center of my brain has a freaking meltdown.

My dad says he wasn't afraid of heights as a kid and now he can't even watch movie characters walk around the edge of a rooftop, so it's clear that things can shift around in our brains. It's probably happening on a neurophysiological level.

• dmichael619
    12 years ago

GG,

Even when I was young and had the tarantula as a pet,I didn't hold or touch her but it also didn't bother me to look at her. Now spiders no matter how big or small just freak me out especially if ones gets on me!! I'm the same with frogs,and lizards as well even though at the same time I owned the spider I had an iguana as well. I don't know at what level it's happening on but something for sure has shifted in my brain when it comes to how I react to things now that never bothered me in the past. I guess it's the same with food,there are things now that I can't stand to eat that I loved when I was growing up and there's things that I like now that I didn't care for when I was younger.

I'm not sure what the story is with the H. finlaysonii "MM".
    maybe someone else here does know and will chime in and enlighten both of us!!!

• mdahms1979
    12 years ago

I think the MM was probably just to show that this plant of Hoya finlaysonii came from Michael Miyashiro's collection, the MM just stuck but it has no other significance. I of course could be wrong but it's my best guess.

Mike

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks David, I'm afraid of spiders too...but not nearly as scared as I am of snakes,lol...those are the third buds on my Square leaf.

Thanks GG, yes the leaves on my Pottsii are very succullent. The thickness actually reminds me of my Jade leaves, maybe just slightly thinner. I've put this plant in the shade(but bright light) for the summer. I will give it a couple of hours of sun in winter where it can handle it more, should get even redder.

I was surprised to find my sigillatis blooms opened this morning. Much quicker than I thought it would take.

• cpawl
    12 years ago

Congratulations pug,those flowers are pretty. I hope my plant will bloom for me this year.I love the color.Did you notice any fragrance?

Cindy

• greedygh0st
    12 years ago

Aw yay! sigillatis buds! They are so pretty. ^_^ ^_^ ^_^

That makes sense about the MM just kind of getting stuck on there. I did a little digging around, but couldn't turn anything up. I wish there was a Hoya wiki, where we could put entries on people and such. And link them to all the stuff they stuck their oar in.

• mdahms1979
    12 years ago

I just love the colour of those sigillatis blooms. I know if I had to rely on my plant I would never get to see those blooms.

GG I find that sometimes that kind of info sticks and in some cases it is useful but other times not. Sometimes you see the collection site written after the name and that's OK but really it does not make that plant any different than say one from a few miles away that you could assign a different collection name. Much of this info was useful for someone to help catalog their collection etc. but it is not always useful to others. I do like knowing the collection data for a plant if it�s available because you can research the climate etc. and it makes locating and trading for that exact plant possible as well.

Mike

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks!! It is a pretty color bloom.

Cindy, I didn't detect any scent even when I stuck my nose right up to it (very weak).

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Wow...I noticed yesterday my Elliptica buds changed colors on me. Just a few days ago it was green and yesterday it was Yellow! I hope its not a bad sign?

• dmichael619
    12 years ago

Pug those sigillatis flowers are awesome!!! I can't wait for mine to bloom. i've had the plant for several years now and it's made peduncles twice but has never flowered and when I move it back into the gh for the winter it always drops the peduncles!!

I really like the color change on the elliptica buds but like yourself hope that it's not a bad sign!!!

david

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks David!! I'm sure your sigillatis will bloom soon.

Yeah, I'm not holding my breath on these elliptica buds :o(
    Its been SO hot here lately, its so hard to maintain the proper moisture with the potting mix...I'm sure the inconsistency of the potting mix moisture is contributing to it? I think the buds are definitely not going to make it...Oh well, if they blast at least I got to see some closed buds lol...

• greedygh0st
    12 years ago

Whoa! That's some wild color change, Pug. Now they match the sigillatis! Very cool looking - even if they never end up opening they are a different sort of visual to enjoy.

The weather this year is so crazy. So much rain and this endless waffling between chilly and heatstroke. My plants are baffled.

• dmichael619
    12 years ago

This is one of my favorite hoyas,,as if I didn't like them all!!!

H. buotii

• greedygh0st
    12 years ago

Oh yay! Cuteness!!!! You did a perfect job capturing these little starfish men in action, clambering all about. I can almost see them taking their next steps.

• grmadarr
    12 years ago

WOW!!!
    What beautiful pictures and plants!
    D michael: I will try to fin a H buotii. I love that one.
    Good Luck to all of you. I love all the pictures.And of course all the advise that I collect on the forum. Now if I could just get a picture on I would show you mine..lol Darr

• mdahms1979
    12 years ago

Those are awesome flowers David! Hoya buotii is such a wild grower but each time I think mine is producing a peduncle it turns out it's just branching again.

GG I added a link to a song you might like to listen to while enjoying those buotii flowers. Ween is a pretty strange band and this must be their only song to ever be used in a movie. It just so happens that this song was used in the Sponge Bob Square Pants movie so it makes me think of starfish.

Mike

Here is a link that might be useful: Ocean Man by WEEN

• quinnfyre
    12 years ago

I love buotii. Love it. How big did yours have to get before it bloomed for the first time? Mine grows really really well, but no signs of a peduncle. It would be marvelous to see those blooms in person. The leaves are still worth it though. They are so pretty. Thanks for the pic! I can experience the blooms vicariously.

Also, Pug, those sigillatis blooms are amazing. I think you've convinced me that I need to give sigillatis a try.

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

GG, it does resemble the color of my sigillatis doesn't it?

David, those Buotii flowers are absolutely gorgeous!! Wow!!

Quinn, the leaves alone on sigillatis are definitely worth growing, I'm sure you will love it.

• greedygh0st
    12 years ago

/Mike lol I have a love/hate affair with Ween. I just love them sometimes and other times I just can't make it through a whole album. That's a great song, though. I love that buotii has a soundtrack now!!! I kind of want to give other Hoyas theme songs, but these things need to happen organically. /nodnod

• milocat4
    8 years ago

Puglvr1, I know this is an old post but which Hoya pottsii is that in your picture? Thanks.

Sponsored