Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greedygh0st

Hoya Genie

greedygh0st
11 years ago

If I told you, by the end of the day a package was going to arrive on your doorstep and it would contain any 3 Hoyas of your choosing, which would you pick?

Consider the rules of the genie to be in effect. Your choices must be as specific as possible, and absolutely positively limited to three. You may not wish for more Hoya wishes. In fact, if you so much as mutter a backup choice under your breath, the package will never arrive. I'm sorry, but genies work long hours and must be strict.

Comments (35)

• amber_m
    11 years ago

well since my Pubicalyx 'black dragon' cutting shows no signs of rooting i would have to say H. Pubicalyx 'black dragon', H. Multiflora or one of the ones that gets mistaken for it (i love them all), and H. Pubicalyx 'hawaiian purple' all of them hopefully would be rooted cuttings or whole plants...

• mitzicos
    11 years ago

H. SP Phillipines
    H. SP Nong Nocch
    H. Wallichi

• goddess9
    11 years ago

Right now, I'm a newbie:

H. potsii 'Chiang Mai'
    H. macrophylla
    H. latifolia

• Klea
    11 years ago

H. praetorii
    H. campanulata
    H. rotundiflora

• greedygh0st
    Original Author
    11 years ago

H. inflata
    H. nyhussiae
    H. lockii

Wow, that was easier than I thought!

• alavoneluvhoya
    11 years ago

H cummigiana
    H pubicalyx
    H lobbii black

• moonwolf_gw
    11 years ago

H. finlaysonii "Ripple Leaf"
    H. multiflora
    H. vanuatuensis

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• patrick51
    11 years ago

Wow, G.G., one of your easiest questions!!
    1. H. platycaulis
    2. H. telosmoides
    3. H. white-blooming patella

• rennfl
    11 years ago

1. imperialis - IN BLOOM!
    2. campanulata
    3. whatever publicalyx 'White Dragon' is named these days.

Renee

• Denise
    11 years ago

H. cv. Kamuki
    H. elliptica
    H. glabra

Where do I rub to make this happen??

Denise in Omaha

• luvidaho_2010
    11 years ago

H. glabra
    H. meredithii
    H. sp. nong nooch

Tami

• Aggie2
    11 years ago

GG, I would make it easy for her:

H.flagellata
    H.lasianta
    H.rotundiflora giant

Aggie

• kathybennie
    11 years ago

I would like to have back 3 that I lost and was not been able to resuscitate:
    Hoya sigillatis
    Hoya longifolia
    Hoya subcalva
    (Actually, it was an order that was delayed two weeks in the USPS mail last December, and they were too far gone to revive.)

• Kittee-Bee Berns
    11 years ago

This was hard!! SooOOOooOO many lovelies out there...
    H. Meliflua
    H. Gracilus
    H. Ischnopus

xo
    kittee

• Hoyasfovever
    11 years ago

Hoya inflata
    Hoya caudata
    Hoya buotii

• Aggie2
    11 years ago

Ha ha, and I will get none for inventing names ;)
    It should be;
    H.flagellata for crazy shaped buds
    H.lasianta for crazy color
    H.lacunosa giant for being a lacunosa I don't have, and bigger flowers!

Aggie

• grubworm
    11 years ago

1. H. darwinii
    2. H. marginata
    3. H. sp. Philippines IML 0831

• emt23
    11 years ago

H. Finlaysonii Ripple Leaf
    H. Ariadna Red
    H. Coriacea

• mdahms1979
    11 years ago

Hoya lockii
    Hoya ignorata
    Hoya stenophylla

Mike

• hannnah
    11 years ago

HMMMMM....

H. Infalata
    H. Megalantha
    H. Acicularis

This would be my dream trio!
    Seems like these Hoyas are never offered anywhere in the u.s even as cuttings, and since I have yet to build the courage to order from overseas, these are my three most wanted because they seem the most unattainable. Why is it that I want most what I can't have ???
    Does anyone know why these are so rare, are they difficult to root from cuttings, or slow to grow, finicky as all get out ? Do they even exist?
    hmmmm.....

• mdahms1979
    11 years ago

Hannnah try Hawaii, Ted Green has all of those species but they will not be inexpensive.

Too bad the three I want really are not available. Anyone want to offer to take a Hoya collecting trip to Papua New Guinea to grab me a Hoya stenophylla?

Mike

• greedygh0st
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I feel so soothed reading most of these responses, though. It's like we all have a different set of self-replicating baseball cards, and most people's top 3s are actually sitting in a fellow member's collection, tradeable down the line. It's a very hopeful feeling.

But not you, Mike. You're going to have to find a genie, for sure.

• hannnah
    11 years ago

Thanks Mike,

I have tried Ted Green before for the megalantha and latifolia-however per the ordering instructions I always provide alternates in case my first choices are not available, and then end up getting the alternates! (which of course I am still pleased as punch with) But you've inspired me to try again!
    I was telling my significant other just yesterday that I wanted to join a hoya collecting expedition somewhere like papua new guinea at least once before I croak. He reminded me that there are probably a LOT of spiders (and other crawlies) that live in the types of climates that hoyas are native to. I am so fearful of spiders especially the tropical kind that I think its officially off my bucket list! Are there any hoyas indigenous to say... Antarctica?

• mitzicos
    11 years ago

Mike,

Your wish list is also very hard to google.... I didn't find any image, only ignorata! You really need a genie!

• greedygh0st
    Original Author
    11 years ago

lol You could always travel to Sweden... the Swedes are to Hoya growing, what the Japanese are to gaming. Or something like that. :P I see greenthumb has a full grown acicularis up for auction atm... coincidence?

Yeah Mike, I like the way even the PNG folk say only that they may have the first possible stenophylla in 100 years.

Mitzi, the lockii can be viewed here.

• mdahms1979
    11 years ago

Fear not Mitzi for I started a thread on Hoya ignorata mere moments after I saw it's drab little flowers for the first time. Also check Flickr Hoya group because it's on there as well because Montela_Hoya was kind enough to post the photos to the group. I am warning you that this is not an exciting Hoya for most people, more a botanical curiosity for me.

If you are lucky there might be a Hoya stenophylla photo on Paradise Forest. I have this one in my Hoyas of North Eastern New Guinea.

Mike

Here is a link that might be useful: Hoya ignorata thread

• mitzicos
    11 years ago

Mike and GG, thank you for the link.

Ignorata I've seen in the thread Mike started. Stemophylla I'll look for at Paradise Forest, but never heard about this hoya before.

Mitzi

• mdahms1979
    11 years ago

Mitzi there are hundreds of Hoyas that are either not in collections yet or that are very rare. Many are delicate plants with thread like stems so they are very hard to transport as cuttings.
    If you want to know more about these rare New Guinea Hoyas go to Rainbow Gardens Books. A translated version of The Hoyas of North Eastern New Guinea is available for a really good price. There are also two on Australian Hoyas.

Mike

• mitzicos
    11 years ago

Thank you Mike, I'll try to find it at internet....... but it is kind of dangerous for me...... I'm afraid it can make my wish list to increase more than it is right now! LOL.

Thanks again

Mitzi

• geosdee
    11 years ago

Hmm after much thought I think these would be my wish:
    H. desvoexensis
    H. dolichospate pinkish white flower
    H. perakensis

Dee

• dutchplant
    11 years ago

Hoya multiflora
    Hoya fraterna
    Hoya amoena

Ingrid

• patrick51
    11 years ago

I love your choices, Mike. To make things more interesting/challenging, I encourage everyone to subscribe to the "Hoya Telegraph", it's put out by the Swedish Hoya Society. I received my 2nd issue today...they do mention H. lockii, and have wonderful articles on hoyas being collected in S.E. Asia, as well as new names that have been published for hoyas. The first issue has a picture of the most fabulous hoya I've ever seen...collected by the Swedish woman, Nathalie...no name given...but, truly "to die for". Nathalie is the woman who wrote the article that G.G. linked to on H. stenophylla. I believe these hoyas will soon be available...first in Europe, then here in the US.
    Hannah...never give "alternatives" to any one...simply ask for what you want, and if not available, ask again in 6 months. I just ordered H. megalantha from Ted, it should arrive tomorrow. Fondly, Patrick

• hannnah
    11 years ago

Patrick- I like your no nonsense approach, henceforth it will be implemented!

In fact with this threads encouragement- meek though I am- I too was able to strong-arm Ted Green into selling me a cutting of H. Megalantha!
    (And H. Latifolia-hooray!)

xo hannah

• eye_love_begonias
    11 years ago

Thanks for posing the question!
    Hoya pachyclada var. variegata (there are two versions, I'll take the Genie's choice)
    Hoya macrophylla 'Snow Queen'
    Hoya javanica 'Siam Smile'

• greedygh0st
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I didn't realize how intriguing I would find everyone's responses. It really provides a lot of insight into what kinds of Hoyas people are thinking about. It's kind of like when you look at a vendor's selection, and pick out your plants, and you think "I have to move fast, everyone is going to want the exact same Hoyas as me!" But, then when you compare your list with your friend's list, they have chosen completely different plants.

@ Dee

I love your selection of the perakensis. And the pink/white dolichosparte - genius!

@ ELB

Very interesting requests! I hadn't seen the Snow Queen before - what a beauty!