Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bama_gardener

ID on hoyas

bama_gardener
12 years ago

I am a novice at growing hoyas and still totally confused at ID'ing the ones I have recently purchased. There are so many experienced and knowledgeable enthusiasts here, I am hoping some of my confusion will be cleared up. All of these are EA plants purchased either at Lowe's or The Home Depot.

I'm pretty sure this one is Chelsea.

I have no clue what this one could be

this is another picture of the leaves

I'm wondering if this is Royal Flush

and a picture of the bloom

Any ID at all on these will be much appreciated.

I enjoy reading all the posts and learning from everyone with such vast knowledge. I am even tempted to start a database as greedyghost is using, but with only 6 hoyas I might should wait a little while.

Thanks everyone for all your help.

Beverly

Comments (8)

• ima_digger
    12 years ago

I think you're right on the first pic as carnosa Chelsea. It looks like the one I purchased last year from Lowes with a name tag. Second one may be bilobata or brevialata. EA usually has that tag on the pot. And last one is lacunosa 'Royal Flush. It could be Snow Caps which looks the same to me. EA seems to chage names each year to confuse us and to sell us more plants that end up to be the same.

• greedygh0st
    12 years ago

Congratulations on your new purchases, Beverly!

1. Chelsea
    2. Some kind of Aeschynanthus (a Gesneriad relative to African Violets). You'll have to wait for a bloom for a positive ID, but it resembles my 'Thai Pink.'
    3. Definitely not Snow Caps, which is very distinct from Royal Flush and Ruby Sue, imo. It has very strong pale green variegation and green vines. Seems like Royal Flush vs Ruby Sue to me, due to the speckles.

• mdahms1979
    12 years ago

I think the second plant is of an Aeschynanthus species or hybrid vs a Hoya. The leaves are opposite just like Hoya but the cordate (heart shaped) leaves are not all that common in Hoya and certainly not common in the small growing species.

Mike

• bama_gardener
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I thank all of you so much for the ID's. It's good to know that the second one is not a Hoya, since I've looked high and low for heart-shaped leaves to no avail. Now I can go in another direction as well as wait for a bloom - so far there is no indication that it will. The Royal Flush is loaded with blooms everywhere! It should put on quite a show when they are all open.
    Thanks again for your help.

• bama_gardener
    Original Author
    12 years ago

greedyghost, I've spent some time looking at leaves on the plant you suggested might be 'Thai Pink'. It sure looks like that's the one. Now to wait for a bloom for a definite ID. Not that it will make a difference; I have been buying for the foliage since that what I enjoy the most. Thanks again.
    Beverly

• greedygh0st
    12 years ago

I think it's a super cute plant, and very low maintenance. I find Aeshynanthus so much more laid back than Columnea and their blooms are just as pretty. They are also more tolerant of harsh light, if you decide to put it on a porch or something.

• pirate_girl
    12 years ago

Hi Bama & Welcome,

I've not grown Chelsea, so was going to suggest it's a Carnosa of some kind.

I believe the 2nd is some kind of Dischidia -- Oh Denise, are you around pls, would you agree? or suggest something else?

The 3rd is some form of Lacunosa, I'm not up on these names, Snow Cap, Ruby Sue. I'd found this or something very much like this at HD several yrs. ago & I called it 'Speckled Lacunosa' for lack of a better name.

Accents for the Home sold something like it several yrs. ago (which I unfortunately lost along w/ 3 other plants I bought from them) & called it 'Indonesia'. These people & their crazy made up names --- arghhhh

They look like healthy, beautiful plants from here - Enjoy!!

• bama_gardener
    Original Author
    12 years ago

pirate girl, thanks for the welcome. I've been around the forums "lurking" for a while. I also have Sans and some cacti/succulents. Hoyas are new for me, but I'm loving the leaves on all of them and learning about them. The Chelsea was labeled as such when I bought it at Home Depot and looks like the pictures found on different websites. The bloom on the speckled lacunosa looks like the one posted by puglvr as Royal Flush. I have one more I would like ID'd (I'm thinking it is DS-70;was labeled as bilobata) and will post later in a separate post.
    Everyone here is so helpful and I'm loving reading all posts.
    Beverly

Sponsored