Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mdahms1979

Hoya pentaphlebia

mdahms1979
13 years ago

After seeing photos of Hoya pentaphlebia IML 0391 on the internet I decided that I needed to get this Hoya for myself. There seem to be several forms of Hoya pentaphlebia available and this one seems to have the most beautiful leaves and flowers.

Two leaf tips, neato!

A new leaf

A group of leaves

The whole plant

Does anyone else grow Hoya pentaphlebia? I would love to see photos of your plants for comparison. So far the largest leaf on my plant is 5.5" long by 4.5" across so it is a big plant. I can't wait for blooms but I think it might be a while longer although this Hoya seems to grow quite quickly.

Mike

Comments (10)

• dmichael619
    13 years ago

Mike I grow it and will try to get a pic today and post for your comparison.

This is an easy hoya to grow and seems to be a rather fast grower but thus far has proven to be quite stingy with the flowers.I've been growing it for at least 4 years now and haven't seen a flower yet.

Nice plant by the way.

David

• Denise
    13 years ago

Cool, Mike. I'm always fascinated when my Hoyas produce a weird leaf. Here's one from my macgillivrayii...

Pentaphlebia is going on my wish list - love the leaves!

Denise in Omaha

• dmichael619
    13 years ago

Here's a pic of a single leaf from my hoya pentaphlebia.

This is what the plant looked like at some point last year. This is a very fast growing hoya and I have chopped feet of it off at one time to share with people so the plant never really gets a chance to take over. I swear if I didn't cut this thing it would take over in no time!!! Right now the plant is actually quite a bit larger than what you see in this picture as the photo was taken last year.

• mdahms1979
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Beautiful plant David, love those big leaves. Is yours from Mr. Liddle's collection as well and do you have an IML # for it? I think I might take a chance and order another Hoya pentaphlebia from a different source just to see what I get. MyHoyas has a profile on IML 0391 (which looks just amazing compared to my plant) and another variety with smaller narrower leaves. I have to admit that I find the large leaved variety more attractive.
    I am soon going to add a taller bamboo trellis so that my plant have have more room to develop, maybe it will produce some really impressive leaves.

Mike

Here is a link that might be useful: Hoya pentaphlebia

• dmichael619
    13 years ago

Mike I got my pentaphlebia from Hawaii, not from T.G but the other vendor. It was labeled IML 0391. I have heard of other clones but not seen any of them.

Seems like I recall a conversation taking place on one of the other forums a few years ago in regards to a possibly pink flowering clone,but I could be wrong.

David

• geosdee
    13 years ago

I ordered pentaphlebia from HI also, it should be here Friday. Can't wait to see this puppy for real. Your leaves kinda remind me of glabra.

Dee

• mdahms1979
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Dee the leaves are similar to Hoya glabra but they have no flecks, are much heavier and wider and with more substance, at least compared to my Hoya glabra. You will absolutely love this Hoya.

David thanks for the confirmation of the IML number. I would have guessed that our plants were different collections of this species but I guess different culture could be the culprit. Your plant is an overall deeper green and the veining on the leaves looks sunken vs my plants slightly raised veins.

Mike

• tigerdawn
    13 years ago

Oh wow! I'd like to grow this one someday.

• wrynsmom
    13 years ago

I just got a cutting of this, last week! Don't know the IML on mine, though. I'll have to ask. I probably came from the HI vendor. :)

So far, I'm lovin it!!! Does it root pretty quickly?

Carolyn

• dmichael619
    13 years ago

Carolyn, my experience with pentaphlebia is yes,it does root very quickly. The conditions here are just right for rooting and growing hoyas and in most cases I can get cutting to root in less than a week. I root in clear Solo brand cups ( so I can see the roots) and have seen roots in as little as 3 days.

There's only very few hoya varieties that i've dealt with that have given me issues with rooting. Hoya praetorii takes months to root. Patella seems to be another slow to impossible one to root as is hoya microphylla.

David

Sponsored