Posted by teengardener1888 none (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 8, 12 at 11:44

Were do you guys get all of your rare hoyas. Give me any variety
exept for carnosa and tll me how i can get it in albany,new york
The lovely new york state capital

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: were to find hoyas

Unless you are lucky enough to live near a nursery that carries Hoyas mail order is the best way to get plants. Try places like Glasshouse Works, SRQ Hoyas, Gardion's and so on.

Mike

o

LOL

Welcome, teengardener.

I get most of my plants from Joni at SRQ Hoyas, and I put in some orders to Thailand several times a year, with Aleya Garden and Epiphytica. Every spring I can't resist putting in an order to Ted Green at Rare-Hoyas. I buy some off eBay from a handful of trusted vendors, (e.g. TheHoyan) although that is NOT my favorite place to shop (I hate bidding!)

There are also some private collectors who can be prevailed upon for cuttings through trade or small compensation, and these are some of the best plants of all because they aren't cut that frequently and root easily. (Although conscientious vendors, like Joni, make a concerted effort not to cut their plants so frequently that this becomes an issue).

For me, what is most important in a source is variety, variety, variety. I have trouble getting attached to a plant if someone else has already grown it to a mature size. So, that's why my favorite vendors are people with large collections, who are always acquiring new plants, and whose product is really either a starter plant or a cutting.

I don't think there is anything wrong with starting your collection with cuttings versus rooted plants. Hoyas root very easily! But you should start out with species that are hardy and travel well. That's the key issue, as far as I am concerned. When I look back through my "Graveyard" list of plants, I can observe a clear pattern of plants that are delicate or touchy about travel. Do some reading on the forums - there are lots of threads devoted to recommending interesting but tough species. Then work up to the ones that will cause problems LOL.

o

TeenG,

Have you tried actually searching for 'Nurseries selling Hoyas'?

There are at least several on/near the East Coast who are reputable as mentioned here often.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hoya Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here