Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
barbmock

Advice on cv Mathilde, please.

barbmock
11 years ago

I just got a new shipment of plants from Gardino Nursery. I am little concerned about the mix the Mathilde is growing in. I noticed that the pot was light a a feather when I unpacked it. When I watered it the water ran straight through, and didn't saturate the pot. So, I watered it several times. The mix is different from the other plants in the same shipment. It seems more like moss with some wood slivers. I would like to repot the plant, but I am afraid to try to remove the stuff it's growing in now. The roots are tiny and would no doubt be damaged if I start pulling the mix away. I can just go up one size pot, and add some new soil, but is there a problem changing to a different soil? This plant looks perfectly healthy, with several vines with new growth.

Also, my other question is will Mathilde grow in the shade or does it need some sun? I have my plants outside on the deck, under my umbrella.

Thanks for any advice on this. Barb

Comments (11)

• mdahms1979
    11 years ago

If the plant is not well established I would not suggest increasing the pot size. Hoyas will often suffer if you put them into a pot that is too large because it slows the potting mix drying time. If you still fee you want to change the potting mix then water well and the next day or so carefully unpot the plant and put it into your preferred mix. You may have to treat the repotted plant like a cutting and keep is as humid as possible for a week or two but this time of year you have little to fear from repotting like this.
    If you are growing outside I would recommend bright shade or dappled light. Some direct morning sun would be fine but not in the afternoon. Eventually many Hoyas can take more sun but you have to get them used to this very slowly.

Mike

• barbmock
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Mike,

Actually, it seems well established to me, not to the point of being root bound. I slid it out of the pot to check, and could see roots all over the sides and bottom. I want to get it into a hanging basket. I'm in Georgia, and it!s similar to Florida this time of year, lots of humidity and showers.

• mdahms1979
    11 years ago

If it's established well enough you could put it into a small hanging basket but don't go up more than one pot size. Even then be sure to use a mix that drains well and does not stay soggy.

Mike

• Denise
    11 years ago

Barb,

I always repot new plants into my preferred mix as soon as I get them. If it looks like it had a somewhat potbound, healthy root system, I would move it up just one pot size. 'Mathilde' is not a large species, so you don't want to overwhelm it in a large pot.

I grow mine in my sunroom, near an east window. It seems pefectly happy and blooms in a bright spot with very little direct light. You'll find it a fuss-free Hoya!

Denise in Omaha

• barbmock
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Denise

That's just what I did, I moved it from a 5 to a 6 inch hanging basket. It was full of roots. I also got Callistopylla and Finlaysonii ripple leaf, I am probably not spelling these just right, but I'm really happy with Gardinos, Thanks for your recomendation.

• barbmock
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Denise

That's just what I did, I moved it from a 5 to a 6 inch hanging basket. It was full of roots. I also got Callistopylla and Finlaysonii ripple leaf, I am probably not spelling these just right, but I'm really happy with Gardinos, Thanks for your recomendation.

• Denise
    11 years ago

Oh, yeah, Gardino's rock! I'm always amazed at the size and health for the price. You should post photos...

Denise in Omaha

• scsva
    11 years ago

I definitely agree about Gardino's. The only problem is that they sell out fast, LOL!!

I just won Mathilde off Ebay and excitedly waiting for her arrival.

Susan

• barbmock
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi, it's me again. I got Mathilde successfully potted around the first part of June. I have my small hoyas all clustered under the beach umbrella out on the back deck. Mathilde started growing new vines and leaves. Yesterday we had a hot day, in the 90's. When I checked the plants, Mathilde looks a little shriveled, not every leaf, but enough to get my attention. So I brought her inside to sit in the kitchen window. The other plants look fine outside in the shade.

Do hoyas suffer from the heat?

• mdahms1979
    11 years ago

If the leaves look dehydrated it will be a problem with the roots and not a reaction to the heat. If you have been letting the plant stay dry for too long it may just mean that you have to water more frequently. I would keep a close watch and if the leaves do not regain their healthy state then consider rerooting some cuttings.
    Hoyas come from different habitats so there are cool mountain growers and there are lowland tropical species. It is not any hotter even in South Florida than it gets in Thailand, Malaysia, Indonesia, New Guinea etc.
    Hoya serpens is a species that appreciates cooler growing conditions and Hoya carnosa does as well but it much more tolerant of summer heat. I don't find Hoya Mathilde to be a fussy hybrid though and it grows much easier than Hoya serpens for most people.

Mike

• barbmock
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Mike, I promise, I have been a real mother hen with these new hoyas. I have several in the group that need to stay moist. I did check and the soil wasn't dry. It was just a sudden happening, lots of new growth and then some shriveling. I am going to keep her in the kitchen window for a while and watch closely. Maybe it will help to be cooler inside. I gave her an extra drink. Barb