Return to the Hoya Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
winter grow room advise

Posted by amber_m 5 (ambermcmyne@yahoo.com) on
Sun, Jun 24, 12 at 12:07

hey everyone... im trying to set up a grow room in my house for a good portion of my plants that are not going to be "living" with us throughout the rest of the house. ive got a ton of pictures so i thought id post them, tell you what im planning and see if anyone has any tips or advise for me. the room im planning is up on our third floor which is a finished walk up attic. there are two rooms, a large main room and a smaller room (which is the room im using). im planning on painting the walls with a high gloss white to help reflect light, im also planning on mounting grow lights to the ceiling and one inside the 'closet' too. when i have lots of plants to hang im going to mount two heavy duity curtian rods on large hooks to the ceiling to hang my hanging plants on so that they get plenty of lights. then any in pots can go on the shelves you see or in the closet with the light ill be mounting in there. just wondering if you have any advise on anything else i should do to try and help them have the best winter home possible. are their any tips i should know to help them be happy during the winter? i know the winter is a while off but i want to prep that room now so that its ready for them.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: winter grow room advise

heres some more...

looking forward to any advise thrown my way!!!
(i live in ny so i cant have a green house or else thats what id be trying to work on!)

o

I've never grown with lights, but I'll first say be prepared for your electric bill to go UP!

The other thing that comes to mind is to make sure you keep a couple fans moving air in the room. It's easy for air to stagnate and mold to develop. I keep ceiling fans running in all my rooms year round.

Looks like you have a nice space to use there. You'll have to show us a photo when you get it all filled with your plants this fall!

Denise in Omaha

o

im going to get a fan and attach it to the bottom half of that split door, so i can keep the top half open and be able to have the air circulate... ill also get a smaller fan for somewhere inside the room so that the air better circulates in there. we have a pellet stove so the air gets quite dry, is there anything i should do besides spraying them to keep the humidity up? maybe put a humidifier in the room with them? i cant wait to get it set up! my husband is actually 100% behind me with this one and is looking forward to helping me create my own space up there. we are talking about someday when we need the upstairs as a bedroom that we will turn this room into a bathroom... im thinking about keeping the plants in there and just puting in a nice big whirl pool tub or claw foot tub so i can soak in there and enjoy my plants. sounds like the perfect stress reliever to me!

o

Congrats on your future "green room"!

I would skip for now closet as a plant space; you can have potting table with good light and supplies there (hard to get good air circulation). For the lights there is a lot of info here on the forum and for sure our great Canadians will help with it. Check on srq (Joni) and Vermont hoyas web sites; there are pictures of set ups. As lightweight and inexpensive alternative to shower rods you can get pvc pipes from HD, these can be cut to any length, painted with spray paint and if you get end caps there will be no problem with pots close to the end sliding off or you can connect it with 90 degrees elbows to make rectangles etc.
With couple water filled trays humidity should be fine.

o

thanks so much for the advise!!! i didnt think of PVC pipes but now that you mention it they would be the most ideal thing to use! very sturdy and cheaper than curtian or shower rods! i will pass on the closet for now, i think i will use it to store all of my supplies.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hoya Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here