Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tomellain

Help - moving house with huge kerrii

AndrewH
12 years ago

Hi, I'm moving in a two days and I'm not quite sure how to move my huge Hoya kerrii. It's in a 12" pot with a teepee of 3 six foot poles. The vines extend two feet past the top of the poles, so altogether this monster is eight feet tall.

I'd like to move it with the least amount of damage and trauma. Do I wrap the entire thing in bubble wrap and blankets? Do I disassemble it and cut the rootball apart for easier transport? Any suggestions?

Comments (21)

• kellyknits
    12 years ago

How far are you moving and how long will it be in transport? Also will you be transporting in car or if you're using a moving van, could it ride in there?

• AndrewH
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I'm moving five miles, just within town. I'm using a moving van and movers.

• kellyknits
    12 years ago

Under those cirsumstances, I think you're idea of using bubblewrap around the plant and then putting it in the moving van is a good one!

I know it has to be a little stressful though! We do love our plants!

Kelly

• AndrewH
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you, Kelly.

Monday night I wrapped it in several layers of bubble wrap. Tuesday when the movers came I asked them to be very careful with it. When I unwrapped it last night only one leaf was broken off, otherwise it arrived intact.

It looks slightly droopy, I don't know if it's grumpy from the move or just a bit flattened from the bubble wrap. I hope it enjoys its new home in an east window, it's old home was a west window that got closed for a couple hours around dinner and TV time.

• kellyknits
    12 years ago

Yeah! I'm sure you were sweating it!

Hope you're getting all settled in!

Kelly

• quinnfyre
    12 years ago

It sounds like an amazing kerrii! Wish I could see it. Glad it made it safe and sound!

• greedygh0st
    12 years ago

Congratulations on your successful transport! Hope you and kerrii can recuperate together. Moving is so un-fun!

• ima_digger
    12 years ago

Glad your kerri made the trip safely. Please keep us in the loop of how it's doing. Does it like it's new home and window?

• AndrewH
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I finally got some pictures, but I had to use my phone so they're not the best quality.

The whole thing, floor to ceiling (eight feet).

I also use it as a place to set my Tilandsias. They aren't mounted, they just sit in the nooks so I can easily take them down and water them. (There are a couple more I didn't get pictures of, but they're nothing terribly special).

This Hoya started out as an 8" basket from Home Depot. For five or six years it didn't do much of anything, barely any growth. Two years ago I took it out of its pot, thoroughly washed the dirt away from the roots, and transferred it into Hydroton. It responded with a growth spurt, and last year I replanted it into the pot you see here (12" diameter, 12" tall). Three plastic poles form a teepee, to which the vines are tied with plastic stretch tie. It keeps growing and growing! No blooms yet, but it's a magnificent plant regardless.

• puglvr1
    12 years ago

That's an amazing Kerrii...just Beautiful! You've done a wonderful job growing it...Congrats! It appears to be liking its new home. Thanks for the updates.

• ima_digger
    12 years ago

Andrew, that is one magnificent kerrii. Do you still have it growing in hydroton? My kerrie hasn't put out a vine or leaf in two years. I'm tempted to repot in hodroton but don't know what kind of pot to put it in. Do you have it sitting in a saucer of water all the time?

• AndrewH
    Original Author
    12 years ago

ima_digger, yes it's still growing in hydroton. The pot is a really thick solid plastic (I think it was meant as a cache pot), but I drilled holes in the bottom and about 1" up the sides. It's sitting in a flimsy plastic 3" tall saucer, visible in the first picture. My cat tries to drink the water, so I have another identical saucer with the bottom cut out, turned upside down on top of the first saucer so he can't get to the water.

When the saucer is almost empty I fill it with 2" to 2.5" of water.

• quinnfyre
    12 years ago

What is it with cats? You provide them with nice fresh water, and they want to go drink out of the nasty skeevy plant saucers or puddles... when my cat used to be allowed in the back yard with me, she'd make a beeline for stagnant water that collected in the outdoor plant saucers. It may even have been green. Yuck.

I love tillandsias. Is that ionantha I see? Has it ever bloomed for you? I set one in my terrarium. It has now attached itself to the branch, so I guess I'm not moving it anymore! That IS a monster kerrii. And it has never bloomed? Interesting. I do think it is cool even without blooming. Mine is about 1/20th the size of yours. I think it's cranky that it's not getting the amount of sun that it used to, but it seriously outgrew its hanging pot and I can't put it right up next to the window anymore after repotting.

Glad to see it looks happy, safe and sound. Thanks for sharing your pics!

• tammypie
    12 years ago

Wow, what an amazing H. Kerrii!

You know, you could stand to make a few bucks, by selling cuttings/rooted cuttings. But I know you just love your Kerrii and she means a lot to you. Just sayin'...

TPie

• ima_digger
    12 years ago

thanks Andrew, for the info. I am going to try the hydroton. I'm hoping it will jump start it to grow. I am tempted to cut off the long top of the vine, but it has a peduncle on the tip and it looks like it's getting lighter in color. It may just bloom for me. It must have heard my thoughts and read my posting. Psychic esp maybe????

• AndrewH
    Original Author
    12 years ago

@quinnfyre: Haha, yes cats are nearly as gross as dogs.

I purchased several Tillandsia a few years ago from a local nursery, all were unlabeled. A few died, I have three left. I think they're T. circinata (not pictured), T. ionantha, and... I'm not sure, whatever the most common one is that you see glued to junk in garden centers. I also have two T. recurvata (common ball moss) I picked up (literally, off the ground) on a trip to Florida three years ago; it's amazing how many clumps of it you see scattered everywhere after a big wind. None of my Tillys has ever bloomed.

@tammypie: Cut my baby? Noooooo!

@ima_digger: One thing I've learned from switching my plants to Hydroton is that you need to be prepared to lose the plant. All my Hoyas and Epiphyllums transitioned just fine, however all but one of my Schlumbergeras (Christmas cactus) died. If you're not willing to lose the plant, take a cutting or three and root them in Hydroton; once they cuttings are established then switch the mother plant over. Just be sure to rinse all the soil away from the roots.

• quinnfyre
    12 years ago

I only have ionantha, and your first tillandsia pic looks like my happy one that has attached itself to a branch in my terrarium. I have a less happy one in a different terrarium also, and one that died. Mine have never bloomed either, I'm fascinated to see it bloom in person someday. Maybe it's not getting enough light. Oh well. I just think it will be wild to see something that doesn't even really quite look like a living thing bloom those royal purple and hot pink blooms. It's like I won't really believe they do until I see it for myself :)

Oh, at least cats don't eat or try to eat some of the nasty things that dogs do. Ewwwww. I still love dogs anyway.

My kerrii's up to something. I'm not sure what. Maybe it is growing a new vine? Although it likes to produce peduncles and then do absolutely nothing with them. I just want it to fill in some more leaves, for now. I can't accommodate blooms at the moment anyway. (Carpeted floor plus dripping nectar will probably equal angry landlord.)

• greedygh0st
    12 years ago

I gave up on putting out a water dish for my cat. He likes to drink out of whatever water I am currently messing with. So, mostly he drinks out of the buckets water I leave sitting out for the plants. I've never seen him drink from a "skeevy plant saucer" though. If he did I'd definitely cover it up too - clever engineering!

My plants are getting their revenge for his water thieving ways, though, because the rainforest tracks I've been playing for them make him crazy. He wants to murder invisible birds so badly. One sounds just like a toy bird he has.

• eye_love_begonias
    12 years ago

Inspired by your method, I potted up my rooted H. kerrii (reverse variegated) in Hydroton today.

What I'm wondering is how you feed it, if you feed it? How often does the saucer need to be refilled.
    Thanks for sharing your method with us!!

• AndrewH
    Original Author
    12 years ago

@quinnfyre: I thought I read somewhere that some people put down tarps under their drippy Hoya blooms. I was planning on doing that should mine ever flower.

@greedyghost: LOL!

@eye_love_begonias: It's not my method, I can't take credit for it. Originally I read about it on the blog "Water Roots" (which seems to have disappeared). The method is called semi-hydro, short for semi-hydroponics (S/H). First Rays, an orchid growing website and store, has really good articles and even a forum dedicated to S/H. You'll have to Google it, GardenWeb isn't allowing me to post the link.

I use a liquid fertilizer mixed in with the water. I refill the saucer when there's only about half an inch of water left, which can be anywhere from a week to a month depending on temperature and humidity. The fertilizer I'm using is Miracle Grow African Violet fertilizer for no particular reason other than it's what I have and I'm too cheap to buy anything better till this is gone. :)

Ideally, I'd fill the pot with water and let it flush out leaving only an inch or two in the saucer (which is what I do with my smaller plants), but for the size of this pot that's simply impractical.

• eye_love_begonias
    12 years ago

Thanks andrewh! Whomever's method it is - it does seem worth a try. The cutting of H. kerrii that I received is giant so trying to put it in a smaller hanging basket seemed like not such a good idea, then putting it in a 4" standard pot isn't practical since it wants to flop over, so this method just may be the trick. At best, it will take off like yours has, worst, it'll croak and I'll have to get another. It's not a rare hoya so I think it's a good candidate for this experiment!
    Thanks again! and thanks for the heads-up on where to do more research on this.

Sponsored
More Discussions