Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gabbynog

My succulent looks sick what should I do?

Gabbynog
9 years ago

My succulent I bought last week has started looking funny the leaves are in different directions and the middle leaves are coming off HELP

Comments (6)

• pirate_girl
    9 years ago

Hi Gabby,

Maybe you meant the Cactus & Succulent Forum, (that's a Haworthia in your pic). This is the Hoya Forum.

Haworthia leaves are supposed to point in all different directions like that, it's how they grow. But the center shouldn't be white or dropping leaves like that. Have you watered since purchase? I suggest you not water any more until you've read up on Haworthias.

• susancarol
    9 years ago

Pirate girl knows her succulents but it looks like the one I recently bought called "aloe flow" from EA.

Its leaves were dropping off and I was all excited about rooting them until I found out that you can't root aloes like that.

Its outside now in the ground with some other succulents and hens and chicks and growing but the leaves continue to come off.

susan

• Denise
    9 years ago

I think it's an Aloe, too. But do go over to the Cacti & Succulent forum. You'll get some great advise there. IMO (and I've grown a lot of Aloes) I think your Aloe has been too wet and probably doesn't have much chance of being saved. By the time they've gotten to that point, I can't seem to save them. Since you've had it such a short time, it's likely it was overwatered where you got it. If it was at one of the box stores, you have to get them RIGHT when they come in or they're (usually) doomed... Sorry for the bad news. If you want a nice succulent, splurge and buy them online from someone reputable who knows how to care for them. It's worth a few extra $$ to get one grown right.

Denise in Omaha

• pirate_girl
    9 years ago

Sorry folks, I stand corrected, I see what you folks mean that it's an Aloe, tho' not one I've seen before.

I'm inclined to follow Denise on this. If by chance you got this at a Big Box Store, the thing to do is learn when they get deliveries (what day) & then get there same day & buy plants before they've had a chance to overwater them.

Sadly, Aloes can't be grown from leaves as many other succulents can, it needs a rosette or division.

• dethcheez
    9 years ago

It Isn't Dead Till It's "DEAD"

It's a Shot In The Dark To Say The Least
    But why don't you un-pot it & let it dry out for a few days
    Then re-pot in in drier soil

If it's not totally rotted out
    You may have a chance
    ???

Best of luck

• Denise
    9 years ago

DC has a point, and I'm an advocate of "don't give up 'til the fat lady sings" myself. I've had Hoyas come back from what I thought was surely dead-dead, but when given a chance, they revive. But it's just been my experience that Aloes, once to the point of leaves collapsing, are beyond help. But if you're adventuresome, DC has good advice.

Denise in Omaha

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor
More Discussions