Return to the Hoya Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Does My Plant Need Repotting?

Posted by moonwolf 6 (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 2, 10 at 13:09

Hi everyone,

My EA Chelsea plant that I've had for over a year may need repotted. When I water it, the water runs right through and the plant becomes dry very quickly. It's growing very nicely, though. Does it need repotting?

Brad AKA Moonwolf

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Does My Plant Need Repotting?

Tip it out of the pot and check the ratio of potting mix to roots.....which is greater? If it is so rootbound that their is very little soil repot, but only up one size.

o

You might also try setting the pot in a tray to water and let it get good and wet. Many commercial mixes are heavy on peat and they can be very hard to keep evenly moist if they dry out. If the water runs off and down the inside of the pot instead of soaking into the mix you will have to give the pot a good soaking to wet all of the mix properly.

Mike

o

I think most of us eventually repot our EA plants. As the potting mix they use is terrible. Once it dries out it shrinks from the side of the pot and turns to a brick that does not absorb water and like Mike said when you water it runs down the inside of the pot and out the bottom. And you have to soak the pot to get the soil moistened again. The roots end up suffocating and dying.
Just an after thought......

o

Thanks LGS and Mike!

I will repot it sometime once I get my new soil mixed (potting soil with orchid bark). When I do that, I'll know if it was rootbound or not. It never has bloomed, but then again it is a carnosa cultivar.

Brad AKA Moonwolf

o

Brad,

I have several still in the old EA mix - species that are small leaved, and very impractical to repot because of their size. Often times, they're very potbound and you can't get the old soil off the roots to put them in new soil without damaging them and sending them into a downward spiral. So I've learned a watering method that works. First, don't let them get completely dry (sounds like you've learned that one!) I water them about once a week, and when I water, I hang them over my kitchen sink and water until water flows out the bottom. I wait about 15-20 minutes then do it again. And if it comes out just as fast the 2nd time, I wait another 15-20 minutes and do it a 3rd time. Still in old EA mix are lacunosa (since '03 or '04), tsangii/DS-70, & incurvula or brevialata (depending on who you talk to...) Probably a few others I can't think of right now.

Just a little advice if you decide to leave it in the EA mix...

Denise in Omaha

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hoya Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here