Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greedygh0st

Hoya Dreams, Hoya Nightmares

greedygh0st
12 years ago

Do any of you dream about your plants? I was just curious because I have insane plant related dreams pretty regularly and last night's was a knockout.

I dreamt that I found mealybugs on one of my plants, except instead of grabbing an alcohol swab, I reached to pick up the bug and when I had it in my hand, I realized that it wasn't a mealybug, it was a "mealyshepherd." He was a little guy about the size of my hand, half man, half mealybug, and strangely, he didn't look too creepy. Kind of fuzzy. And I think he was wearing pants!

He had real mealybugs kind of climbing around on him, like pets, and here I had a dilemma, because I had to get rid of the mealybugs, but I didn't feel comfortable poisoning a humanoid creature. I was going to just kind of shake him off my hand onto a tree hanging over the balcony, but I wasn't sure whether he'd call all the indoor mealybugs out to him, or lead his flock of mealybugs back inside once my back was turned.

Needless to say, I woke up and needed to shower all my plants with neem before I could go to work.

So, anyone else here have crazy plant nightmares or am I certifiable?

Comments (9)

• greedygh0st
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Oh check it out! I just realized where I got the image for the mealyshepherd from! A photo I have stored on my work computer for... some reason I can't remember!

I have no idea who took this photo (Doc18 apparently) or where it is from. But it is not mine! I wish I DID know though! Clearly at the time I had no idea I'd ever have cause to post it.

I just thought I should explain why in the dream the little mutant man didn't strike me as horrific, so you guys don't have nightmares of your own about little beings who creep around your house at night taking care of mealybugs.

• moonwolf_gw
    12 years ago

You're not the only one, GG! I do dream about plants sometimes but I don't think I've ever had nightmares about them. I loved your story!

Mine are more on the dream side. I remember being in some faraway place in these beautiful gardens just full of different flowers, statues and fountains. Hoyas twining up arbors, pergolas, gazebos, etc., along with roses, honeysuckle, and all sorts of flowering vines. Maybe it was the Moon Kingdom lol ^_-.

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• lovingmy4babies
    12 years ago

LOL! That IS a crazy dream. I haven't dreamed about my plants in about a week or so- it usually depends on what I am reading just before bed. lol The last crazy one I had was that I had bought this SUPER expensive cutting online and my DH was mad because I couldn't make it grow. Nothing too out there, except that my DH doesn't really stand over me and point his finger saying, 'Make it grow!'

• Denise
    12 years ago

Sometimes, come spring, when I'm spending a lot of time with my plants, observing changes and getting excited about buds and new growth, I'll dream about taking care of them. It's always nice dreams, though, which I'm thankful for. When I dream of work, it's usually a nightmare. Like I'm trying to get the room setup for a wedding reception and the guests are starting to arrive - WAIT! I'm not done yet!!! And all these a$$-you-know-whats keep interupting me. Don't you hate those dreams??! Those kinds of things never happen with my plant dreams - they're all pleasant!

Denise in Omaha

• zzackey
    12 years ago

I've had some really cool plant dreams about orchids and flowers that don't exist. Of course they are in a beautiful room I don't have! I'm glad I never had plant nightmares!

• kellyknits
    12 years ago

GG, did this dream occur after some b-day celebrations, lol? I can't think of a time when I've had a dream or nightmare about the plants, but I have woken up in the middle of the night remembering I forgot to do something with the plants...check the outdoor temps, water, restart one that's not looking so good, etc. You know that's not completely true...there have been times when I've totally stressed over orders - specifically what to order- and have dreamt about it...that can be exhausting!

Kelly

• ima_digger
    12 years ago

GG, loved your story and I love the picture. I laughed when I read it. I don't have dreams, just nightmares that more of my plants are turning to ice, and that I have to knit sweaters for them. And I don't knit. LOL

• mdahms1979
    12 years ago

Ok I would consider that a plant related nightmare, talk about creepy. LOL
    When I first saw that photo I thought "Hey you're not pointing that stick at me are you?" The little mealy shepherd is strangely cute but I would have sent him packing. Anyone who has mealies crawling all over them needs to go. LOL

Ima digger your description of the knitting nightmare made me laugh. I guess it would be stressful if you felt you needed to knit sweaters for your plants in a hurry and then realized that you didn't know how to knit.

I once tried a Dream Time tea that is made from herbs wildcrafted in Northern Ontario. I noticed the tea for sale in my friends book shop and just had to try it. I had such vivid and intense dreams that I felt like a wreck in the morning. I don't think I have ever had a plant related dream but I almost never remember my dreams.

Mike

• greedygh0st
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I really like the idea of just having a beautiful restful little dream about plants. Unfortunately, I don't seem to have tranquil dreams. Apparently my psyche is just not that chill.

Now dreaming about buying a super expensive cutting or not being able to get an order perfect sounds right about my speed. I know I've woken up before feeling surprised that I didn't actually have Hoyas that I'd spent the whole night dealing with. Or this one morning, my dream had convinced me that everyone in the forum had gotten a kunming kina all on the same day. And then when I went online, the threads about it were missing! I quite frequently dream about dealing with mealybugs, and wake up feeling relieved that the warzone has evaporated. I don't know why I'm so obsessed with them - I've seen maybe 4 in my life.

I just love the sweaters for Hoyas dream too. My Hoyas would be in such trouble if that's what they needed from me. It takes an average of 4 years for me to finish a scarf.

I'd really love to try that dream tea, even if the result was that the mealyshepherds invented a giant Mechamealiezilla that breathed fire and knocked over plant shelves.

Favorite quote from this thread:

Anyone who has mealies crawling all over them needs to go.

Indeed.

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH