New Cuttings

moonwolf_gw
13 years ago

Hi everyone,

The box of cuttings from TigerDawn arrived today! Here's what she sent me:

KP

DS-70 (Was in the same pot as KP)

Obovata (For sure this time!)

Carnosa (I'm happy to have this one! This cutting came from her grandmother's plant!)

Brad AKA Moonwolf

Comments (14)

• pirate_girl
    13 years ago

Good for you on your new cuttings.

Can I pls. suggest that those pots are TOO BIG for those cuttings (which increases the risk of rot). They start out best small (at least that's my experience & that of most Hoya growers I know as well).

• tigerdawn
    13 years ago

I'm glad they arrived safely! I agree that you probably ought to pot down. These were outside getting part sun and plenty of wind and heat so they dried out quickly. I can't tell from the picture- are the growing tips of obovata pointing up? I think they may die if they're pointed down.

I got new cuttings today as well! I got rigida, Lisa, callistophylla, and excavata from dmichael619! I am really excited!

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    13 years ago

Those first two look like 4 inch pots, and the fourth one looks like a plastic cup.
    The Obovata container (6 inch?) does however look as though it might be on the
    large size, especially if there isn't much bark in your mix.
    It looks barky, but the resolution is too low to tell!

Congrats!

Josh

• mdahms1979
    13 years ago

Congrats on the cuttings Brad.

I root small species in 2.5"-3" pots and larger species in 4"-5" pots. It usually takes 6 months to a year before I pot the cuttings up to a 6" pot if they need it but some Hoyas break all the rules and grow much faster. I would not worry about the pots too much especially seeing as Hoya obovata is a fast grower but if you keep it in the bigger pot keep an eye on it just to be safe.

Mike

• moonwolf_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks everyone!

Carnosa and KP are in their original soils and were shipped in the cup and the small pot she sent me. I repotted the DS-70 and obovata. All are rooted except obovata, which is in a 6 inch pot, BTW. I'll repot my cuttings as suggested. I'll tell my neighbor that too, since I gave her the KP cuttings (I already have an EA hanging plant of it). Uh oh, I'm getting other people hooked ;) .

TD, no, the points are not pointing up. I'll fix that too.

Brad AKA Moonwolf

13 years ago

Re: 6 inch - that's what I thought. Those pots are fine for growing/rooting Hoyas.
    As long as your mix doesn't hold too much moisture, they should grow/root without a hitch.
    Brad, the caution against large containers has more to do with the chosen soil-mix than
    the actual volume of the container.

Josh

• moonwolf_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Well, here they are in their new pots. Obovata looks like an oddball, but it works for now. Carnosa and obovata are in small pots that are in larger pots.

Carnosa

Obovata

DS-70

I'll take a photo of KP later when I repot it for my neighbor.

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• pirate_girl
    13 years ago

Sorry Josh, I need to pls. disagree about the pot size & mix.

Brad are you growing these indoors or out? They'd maybe be OK potted large if grown outside, but for inside (as I grow), it could be a problem.

• moonwolf_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

PG, yes, all my hoyas are growing outside for the spring/summer. The mixes that DS-70 and carnosa were growing in appeared to be a blend of soil and sand. TigerDawn could tell you more about the mix because she's the one who sent them to me. The mix I use is a mix of potting soil and orchid bark. I only water when they begin to dry out, except for the moisture loving ones like compacta (that's in a self-watering pot) and lacunosa. The roots are snug in the carnosa and DS-70 pots, which is a good thing after reading some basic hoya growing rules.

Brad AKA Moonwolf

13 years ago

Karen, three of these are rooted.
    While I appreciate that you caution growers against overlarge containers,
    the real problem is not the container-size but the soil mix filling the container.
    A four inch pot is just fine, especially if using Orchid Bark in one's mix.
    My plants spend the majority of the year indoors, as well.

One only need worry about rot if using an inappropriate soil mix.
    But, unless I've missed something, it sure seems like Brad has the hang of it.

Josh

• tigerdawn
    13 years ago

The mix I was using at the time I potted those up was equal parts soil, pine bark, pearlite, and decomposed granite. I have moved more toward plain pine bark since I'm growing outside for the summer and it is really hot and windy here in OK. I agree that the pots were too big for indoor growing but the plants were dry every day outside.

13 years ago

Excellent!
    Tigerdawn, that sounds like a great mix...especially with the addition of the granite!

Josh

• tigerdawn
    13 years ago

Yay! I'm glad I'm doing it right! The larger, more succulent hoyas love that mix but I have to use just bark for lacunosa, pubycalyx and the younger plants that I'm keeping outside. I'll put them in the gritty mix when they come in for the winter. I'm having good success rooting in the bark too. I don't know if I'm supposed to do it that way but so far it has worked well.

13 years ago

I root most arboreal species (like Christmas Cactus, Hoyas, Orchids) in pure bark, and I have great success!
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it! ;)

Josh

Sponsored