Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zeroxstaticife

Trimming hoya

zeroXstaticlife
9 years ago

If I trim my hoya will new growth eventually sprout out from that area? My friend wants a piece of my hoya and since it's my favorite plant I'm hesitant to trim it lol. Thanks in advance.

Comments (11)

• greentoe357
    9 years ago

> I don't think you should hesitate to cut your plant unless it's really small

Jess, consider posting a picture here, for us to tell you if we think it's big enough to cut. (I have an ulterior motive though, as I am also wondering how to know when a plant is large enough to cut).

When choosing a cutting for your friend, choose mature growth that is not too old - tender soft new shoots do not have enough energy in them to root, and old woody (on some species) growth does not root easily either. Last year's growth is perfect, even if it ends in a tender shoot. - that part may die partially, but the cutting is still likely to take because of the older growth there. For large leaf species, 2- or even 1-node cutting is enough. For smaller-leaf ones, that would be too tiny, so include more nodes.

Cut just above a node. It's most likely that the new growth on your plant will sprout from that node, although GG is right - it may also sprout from elsewhere.

Taking cuttings is often a chance to even out the shape of your plant - so take out uncooperative branches that stick out and make the plant look unbalanced - then both you and your friend benefit.

• zeroXstaticlife
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here's my hoya! I rooted this guy as a 3 leaf cutting that was given to me by a nursery. (Plant was in real bad shape and was dying) it's probably 5 years old? I haven't really fertilized it much. I'm just now getting into organic gardening and learning about organic fertilizer (any suggestions are welcome ;-) ) and honestly it was gotten a little neglect here and there when I've had a lot going on in my life. This is by far my favorite plant. I wanted to share with my friend (and possibly trade for some other hoyas) but I didn't want to leave a stem/vine that wouldn't grow anymore. I googled it but didn't get any defining answers as to if it would grow back on that particular vine. Thank you all for your answers!

• zeroXstaticlife
    Original Author
    9 years ago

It's a little sun burnt. Left it outside a little too long. I've been trying to acclimate to sun!

• greedygh0st
    9 years ago

lol I love your sense of humor, GT

This is the way I see it.

Fall-winter is this time of year when the angel of death hovers near to your plants. Ideally, come fall, you want each plant to be big enough so that, should the angel kiss it, you will have enough plant left to re-root.

So, there is obviously a math equation! (I am totally making this up right now, so please do not take me seriously!)

X = ((B - N) / S) - T X = the number of nodes you have available to give away

B = how many nodes your plant currently has

N = how many healthy nodes/leaves you need to have a 98% likelihood of rooting the cutting

S = speed at which the plant loses healthy segments (node/week)

T = how many weeks it takes you to notice a plant is sick

Example:

My Hoya sigillatis is 6 nodes long. I need 3 nodes to be 98% sure of re-rooting it. If its roots die, it will perish at a rate of 1 node segment per week. It takes me 3 weeks to notice it is sick. ((6-3)/1)-3 = 0 nodes I can give away.

If I had life to live all over again, I probably wouldn't cut any Hoya until it had lived with me for over a year. For the first couple years a Hoya is like a teenager who just got their driver's license. And then after that it is 25+ and its insurance rate goes down dramatically.

At that point you can safely use this magical equation I made up in order to test whether or not I still knew math. (I'm still not sure - don't push me, math!)

• greentoe357
    9 years ago

Looks like Hoya carnosa 'Chelsea' to me. Looks good, and I would say OK to cut. HOWEVER, some say cutting delays flowering. (Did you know these things could flower?)

• greedygh0st
    9 years ago

Jess, your plant is mature and you have plenty to share, so I think you should cut with confidence. :)

As far as organic fertilizers go, fish emulsions are always good and I've also enjoyed using compost tea. Unfortunately both are stinky. :) But it goes away fast. Personally, the smell of neem oil annoys me more.

• zeroXstaticlife
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you I can trim with peace of mind! I And yes I do believe it is a 'Chelsea'. Although I've never seen mine flower.

• Denise
    9 years ago

GG, you've got it right. I've never shared until a Hoya is at least a year or two old. And whether it's a year or two years depends on how well it's grown. There have been some I haven't shared until even much older, just because they have been slow growers for me. It's more about size and stability for me, and sometimes, I won't share until it's bloomed.

But JJ, your plant is plenty big. And you will NOT regret sharing. Trimming makes a plant say, "OMG, I better put out some new growth!!!" and it DOES. When I have a stalled plant, I take a cutting and, voila, soon I have new growth! I learned this lesson from one of my long gone dogs. Big old German Shepherd. You walk through the front door at the end of the day, the giant tail wags and KER-WHACKS a plant onto the floor, breaking it!! DANG DOG!!!! Six months later, the plant looks like a million bucks. 2+2... broken plant = forced new growth. YAY!

Denise in Omaha

• zeroXstaticlife
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Good to know thanks for the tip! This plant is VERY slow growing for me. Like I said its 5 years old from a 3 leaf cutting. Maybe I'll take a cutting for my friend and take another to offer in a trade. Gonna try some organic fertilzer on it as well.

• Denise
    9 years ago

Well, Jess, if you decide you want to trade, I'd take a little cutting in exchange for something interesting. I have a 'Chelsea' that's just plain homely and I really wanted a clone like yours when I bought it. Just e-mail me through this site if you decide you want to trade.

Denise in Omaha

Sponsored
Buckeye Restoration & Remodeling Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars7 Reviews
Central Ohio's Premier Home Remodelers Since 1996
More Discussions