Return to the Hoya Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
sp. Gunung Gading

Posted by Klea 5 (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 28, 12 at 15:27

I've had this cutting for about 2 months now (and I love it sooo much). Rooting was easy, no problems there. It has even put out two new leaves. But there's some dark markings/spots on the new leaves. Should I be worried? Could it be damage from water drops left on the leaves after misting? Or could it be fungi?

Here is some pictures:

Hoya sp. Gunung Gading

Hoya sp. Gunung Gading

Hoya sp. Gunung Gading

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: sp. Gunung Gading

I must say it is lovely. If the water gathers there I would say your guess is right as the leaf is pretty level and not angled for the extra water to drip off. That has happened to me.
~ Mary

o

I'm not sure what causes these splotches, but Hoyas in this section frequently show these types of markings and it is nothing to be worried about. If you Google "Hoya callistophylla" it's hard to find a plant that doesn't have a leaf like this. I don't even know if it's damage or natural variation.

o

I don't know what it is but your hoya has very beautiful leaves!!!!!

o

Thank you for your answers. :) The leaves did get those spots/brown edge after a period of heavy misting, but who knows - mabe it's just natural variation like greedyghost mentions. I googled "Hoya callistophylla", but couldn't find any leaves with these markings. I guess I'll just have to wait and see what happens to my cutting. The brown edge hasn't gotten any bigger lately, so I hope greedyghost is right that it's nothing to be worried about. Mitzi; the leaves sure are beautiful with those dark green veins! That's why I love it so much. It is very special. :)

o

I know we all want perfect looking plants but if you have ever seen a wild growing orchid or Hoya, even in a photo, you will know that they often look pretty roughed up. So I think it's best to not fuss too much about minor cosmetic issues but if those start to spread etc then sound the alarm.
Klea when I first saw your photo all I thought was what a beautiful Hoya that is, so vibrant and shiny. I think you are doing just fine with growing your plants.
You did mention that you were misting quite a bit. Did you mist early in the day or towards dark? Maybe you just have to adjust your approach to misting. I literally shower my Hoyas every week and rarely see problems with leaf blemishes. Occasionally they're leaf blemishes that occur from too much sun etc but not often due to moisture on the leaves.

Mike

o

I usually mist in the evening, but never while it gets direct sunlight. I'm sure there is nothing wrong with the plant, just wanted to hear what you guys had to say about it. I'll keep an eye on it though, to make sure it isn't fungi.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hoya Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here