Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amber_m_gw

ID help

amber_m
11 years ago

hey everyone, i need some help on an id. i recieved this little hoya and it was labeled h. sulawesi, but i really dont think that what it is. it looks EXACTLY like a DS-70, ive got two different cuttings of DS-70 and they match exactly to this, but since ive never been face to face with a sulawesi i cant determine that it isint in fact a sulawesi. any help would be great! here are some pics...

{{gwi:959463}}

Source: Uploaded by user via Amber on Pinterest

{{gwi:959464}}

{{gwi:959465}}

Comments (24)

• pirate_girl
    11 years ago

I believe that's DS-70/Tsangii & that the name Sulawesi is an Exotic Angel invention.

If you search DS-70/Tsangii you'll likely see some of that conversation.

• amber_m
    Original Author
    11 years ago

ok thank you very much! it was just killing me not being sure... i know it looks EXACTLY like the ds-70 but i had to double check

• mdahms1979
    11 years ago

Also DS-70 and tsangii are completely different species although in the same section of the genus. The name mixup is a bit confusing but tsangii is another small species but with yellow flowers and lance shaped leaves without any hairs on the leaf surface.
    Sulawesi is a large island in Indonesia and there have been no Hoyas names after it. There are of course in unidentified species that are seen with names like Hoya sp Sulawesi.

Mike

• pirate_girl
    11 years ago

Hi Mike,

If that's the case, then what do you suggest these ID to be pls., any ideas?

• cpawl
    11 years ago

This hoya is ds-70.I have this hoya and I also tsangii and they do not look alike.

• mdahms1979
    11 years ago

Yes it is Hoya DS-70.

This is an old photo but it shows what Hoya tsangii looks like for those who are wondering.

Mike

• luvidaho_2010
    11 years ago

Thank you for posting the picture of tsangii Mike. I am frequently and very easily confused when the same plant is referred to by more than one name. I am beginning to think there is a plot to get me to buy more plants! LOL
    Tami

• emt23
    11 years ago

Yes I agree with Tami, I know now my tsangii is not a tsangii. Geez! ~ Mary

• luvidaho_2010
    11 years ago

I got this plant as an "add on" to another purchase. The label was on the pot when I received it. Looks like DS-70 to me, I think my confusion is justified. NOT just because I am blonde! LOL.
    Who am I?

After seeing Mike's picture I know it isn't tsangii.
    Tami

• luvidaho_2010
    11 years ago

Sorry about the huge pictures, sometimes re-sizing works for me, sometimes it doesn't. THAT might be a blonde thing! :)
    Tami

• greedygh0st
    11 years ago

There are definitely cases where multiple names are given to a Hoya in order to captivate consumer interest. There really aren't that many Hoyas that have trademark or cultivar names, so whenever you see a Hoya with a poetic name, you should be on guard. It miiight come from back in the day when there were a ton of different carnosa cultivars floating around, but more likely it's just a Krimson Queen or at best Marlea, with a spin. There are some striking collections of Hoyas that receive these types of names in Asia (e.g. Hoya sp. Golden Flame), but they are not commonly available.

The tsangii/DS-70 confusion does not fall into the above category. It harkens back to CB's first publication. In a nutshell, due to lack of experience (at the time, not now) and inferior loaned equipment, she published DS-70 as tsangii. Later, she and her colleagues determined this to be a mistake and the plant has been known only as DS-70 ever since. You can see her own candid words on the subject here. It just goes to show that even the most exacting of us are vulnerable to error, especially starting out. After this, the plant that RDK had meanwhile published as odetteae, was shown to be the true tsangii. So, if you see that name, it is usually the plant Mike has photographed above.

And Tami, yes, your bilobata "Tsangii" is DS-70.

• emt23
    11 years ago

Is the tsangii I have burtonii? ~ Mary

• greedygh0st
    11 years ago

The correct name is burtoniae.

named for a man: -ii (e.g. Hoya paulshirleyii - Paul Shirley)
    named for a woman: -iae (e.g. Hoya burtonaie - Christine Burton)
    named for a person (gender neutral): -iana (e.g. Hoya kentiana - Douglas H. Kent)

Hoya burtoniae does look similar to DS-70, but it is not common. If you received your plant as tsangii, it is more likely to be DS-70 than burtoniae.

The differences are as follows: DS-70: Leaf veins are visible
    burtoniae: Leaf veins are invisible, and midrib is slightly sunken, versus ridged like a vein.

DS-70: Flowers are small and rust colored
    burtoniae: Flowers are larger and pink

I take these notes from the following source, but I have personally compared burtoniae to DS-70 and even to my less-expert eyes they are easy to tell apart.

• mdahms1979
    11 years ago

The species tsangii, bilobata, DS-70, DS-128, and burtoniae are all separate species but all are members of section Acanthostemma. You will notice that that have revolute flowers meaning the flowers are ball like because the corolla lobes bend back completely.
    You pretty much always see Hoya DS-70 with these various names and every time I have ordered bilobata or burtoniae I have gotten another DS-70. Hoya DS-70 can look quite different when grown in the shade (bigger leaves that are green) vs grown in the sun (smaller leaves that are reddish). Also notice the spelling of burtoniae, the iae ending is used because the person the plant was named after is a woman. If anyone wants to learn more try searching for Latin prefix and Latin suffix or Botanical Latin etc. The book Botanical Latin is also an amazing resource if you are into learning these things.

One other point, don't trust random internet photos of Hoyas because the names are almost always wrong. Trust Hoya specific websites and especially trust botanical publications or official botanical descriptions of species.

Mike

• luvidaho_2010
    11 years ago

Thank you GG and Mike for sharing your knowledge! It is quite comforting to know that there are those around that can help when I have a question- even when I know it is a silly one.
    I really am not overly concerned about names, except I want to know what I have so I can research the care it needs. I don't like to kill plants due to my ignorance of their care needs, especially hoyas!
    Now I think I will give my DS-70 'Fred' a little drink and rest my brain with a nice nap.
    Tami

• mdahms1979
    11 years ago

GG do we share a brain? ha ha

Mike

• greedygh0st
    11 years ago

Oh man you have no idea, Mike. I was going to email you yesterday because for the third time this week I'd drafted a post only to discover you'd posted the exact same thing while I was typing it up.

>:P

Usually I just applaud because you've put things so much better than my version.

• emt23
    11 years ago

The botany of Hoya intimidates me and I leave that to other folks. I love to grow them for the challenge. But it is nice to have the right names on them. TKX For the info ~ Mary

• mdahms1979
    11 years ago

Mary as you learn more you will become fascinated by the Botany of plants. No matter what plants we talk about the Botany is the same. Different plants obviously have different adaptations, structures etc. but once you learn the basics of Botany you will be able to apply them to many plants. Each group of plants has it's own lingo to describe the various structures etc. and these have to be learned, orchids being different from Hoyas etc. but still some structures remain the same, pollinia for example are the pollen masses seen in both orchids and Hoyas.

I posted a link to the book Botanical Latin and I urge everyone who is interested in plants, Botany, and the etymology of the terms associated with plants to get a copy of the book. This is an amazing collection of information and it will really take you to the next level of plant related knowledge.

Mike

Here is a link that might be useful: Botanical Latin

• penfold2
    11 years ago

Mike, thanks for the book recommendation. I think I'll put it on my x-mas list this year. I think language and etymology can be interesting, and the tiny bit of Latin I do know helps me remember and recognize names in some cases. There must be a ton of information at 560 pages.

-Chris

• cpawl
    11 years ago

On this site they show a few photos of burtoniae.I hope it helps a bit.

Cindy

Here is a link that might be useful: burtoniae

• emt23
    11 years ago

Cindy! WOW! This is a great link! The last few days I have gotten a lot of information to wrap my head around and send a heartfelt thanks to all who have offered it. Experience brings knowledge and I hit it in this forum!
    ~ Mary

• ngocnguyen
    11 years ago

Hi everyone,
    I have just buy some hoyas but don't know its name. I would highly appreciate if you could give me some helps. many thanks. Here is its photo

• greedygh0st
    11 years ago

Hey Ngoc. The middle plant is definitely H. retusa, but there is some ambiguity about the other two. The one on the left is probably H. wayetii, because that is the most common of the Hoyas that look like this. The one on the right looks like H. vanuatuensis or incurvula maybe? It is hard to tell at this distance and without flowers. And I am not an expert, so..

Where did you get your plants?
    (& welcome :))

Sponsored
More Discussions