Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
moonwolf_gw

First Cuttings Of The Season

moonwolf_gw
11 years ago

Hi everyone,

I just got my first new cuttings (trade) of the season today! I now own merrilli IML 0465 (yellow leaves), a NOID pubicalyx, cagayensis (the one with no leaves, but I see new growth) and bella! Here they are!

I am remaining optimistic that merrilii and cagayensis will pull through. They'll all be getting some extra TLC!

Brad AKA Moonwolf

Comments (14)

• greedygh0st
    11 years ago

Hi Brad,

Congratulations on your lovely cuttings. I hope they all pull through - that's great news that the cagayanensis has signs of new growth! It is pretty hot these days, so I am a little bit worried about shipping plants, but Hoyas are tough and it is a good time of year for rooting, so we plunge ahead. ;)

You named 4, but I see 5 plants. What is the last one?

• moonwolf_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi GG,

Thank you! We're going to get hit with heat and humidity later today and tomorrow. Cagayensis was on my wish list and I really hope it pulls through. I'm excited about all of them!

Whoops! Silly me! The last cuttings I got were limoniaca. They're in the black square pot on the right. I had that one before but the mealies attacked it. Oh and disregard the writing on the styrofoam cups. I crossed them out with my paint pen I used to label my Winter Sowing containers and labels. Hmm, I think the next time I'm at a dollar store I'll look for craft/popsicle sticks for labels.

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• Denise
    11 years ago

The wooden sticks rot pretty fast. I get 100 plastic labels for around $3 locally, but if you can't find them (or you just like the idea of recycling...), the old-timers in my plant club take old plastic blinds and cut them up to use for plant labels. If your mother doesn't have an old one sitting in a closet, you can usually find one at a garage sale, and one blind yields a LOT of labels! Plus they're wider than a standard plant label, so you can get more information on them.

Denise in Omaha

• pirate_girl
    11 years ago

Hi Brad,

Happy new cuttings, hope they do well for you.

About making labels, if you can find any old Venitian blinds, they make great labels & each length can be cut into multiple pieces, depending on the width of the blinds. Depending on where one lives, sometimes one can find these curbside when folks put out the garbage.

• moonwolf_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi PG,

Funny you should mention the Venitian blinds. That's exactly what I used for my labels for Winter Sowing. I just might have to look around for a set maybe at the Goodwill or secondhand stores.

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• Kittee-Bee Berns
    11 years ago

Howdy!
    In case you don't know, most of those metal blinds also contain lead, so keep them out of reach of kids and wash your hands after handling!

xo
    kittee

• moonwolf_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Denise! Didn't see your post there! Sorry! Hmm, looks like a trip to the secondhand store is in order :-). I've also been looking for old plant hangers and plant stands. I forgot to mention that I did use a couple leftover blind labels from my Winter Sowing for my pubicalyx and limoniaca.

Hi Kittee, thank you for that tip! Welcome to the forum!

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• geosdee
    11 years ago

Hey Brad, you can also use the plastic utensils. They work just as good and you can get them at the dollar store also. Just a thought

Dee

• moonwolf_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Dee,

Thank you for that idea! I'll keep that in mind!

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• cpawl
    11 years ago

Or you could just use plastic margarine containers and the cut them to the size you need.

• moonwolf_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you for the label ideas, everyone! :-)

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• mdahms1979
    11 years ago

Congrats on the new cuttings Brad. I sure hope that those yellow ones pull through. Have you seen any improvement in their condition? Do they at least seem stable?

Mike

• moonwolf_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Mike,

Thank you! I do not see any improvements yet on the yellowed cuttings. I misted them today along with the rest of my plants. Good news is, that they are stable :-).

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• moonwolf_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Just an update for you all: the cuttings are doing just fine and the pubicalyx is regaining the green back in it's leaves! The cuttings that were unrooted have rooted now.

Brad AKA MOonwolf

Sponsored
Your Source for Tailored Remodeling Solutions in Loudoun County