Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pirate_girl

Who was it who asked about Blooming Curtisii?

pirate_girl
9 years ago

I can't find it on searching, but I remember the comment / question. Someone had asked (among another topic, IIRC), if anyone knows of anyone blooming H. curtisii outside a greenhouse.

I wanted to say yes, a colleague at my local Garden Club has. I saw her last night & confirmed I remember it correctly. She didn't use supplemental light, bloomed it in a NYC apartment, East Window she said.

Why I remember it so well (the bloom is greenish, almost blends in w/ the foliage & is quite unremarkable) was that it was a wonderfully grown plant, quite long, abt 3 ft of foliage hanging down, almost to the floor, growth was compact & lush really something to see. Sadly, she didn't save any pix of it, but confirmed my recollection of seeing it full of blooms.

Comments (13)

• greentoe357
    9 years ago

PG, you are probably referring to this thread: http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/hoya/msg051712091077.html, 7 screens down. And yes, it was sort of buried in another topic.

• teisa
    9 years ago

PG, I used to grow this one. I got it when I saw how beautiful the blooms were. However, after never getting a single peduncle, I gave up on it ever blooming. It has since died and I guess I won't get another one.

It sure did have very interesting blooms! I would love to have seen one in person. Too bad its blooms are so dang stingy!!

• greentoe357
    9 years ago

You were not impressed by the leaves at all, Teisa? I am sort of the other way around - curtisii blooms look like nothing special for me, but those leaves are "cute as a button".

• vermonthoyas
    9 years ago

The leaves are amazingly cute on curtisii, but I consider blooming it to be one of my holy grail Hoya challenges. I have been trying to crack this tough little nut now for around 3 years and have not given up quite yet.

Right now I have my plant, which is only in a small four inch pot, hanging in a tent greenhouse outdoors. The plant itself is around 26 inches long, and looks pretty healthy with several active growing tips. Almost every day I look at it and try to see a peduncle forming. Inside the foliage, there almost looks like it had a peduncle at one time. It is short around 1/4 inch long, and I swear it is a peduncle, but maybe I'm just deluding myself. Anyone know if curtsii peduncles are short, and if they flower more than once from the same peduncle?

Doug

• teisa
    9 years ago

Greentoe,

I did love the leaves. They are very pretty and it grew good for me. But if I can't get something to bloom, I just lose interest in it. My favorite Hoya leaf is the Macrophylla var. and even it being gorgeous all alone...I hope blooms for me someday!

So the leaves alone would be a deal breaker for me if I can't get it to bloom. I really enjoy seeing the peduncle grow and each bud get larger, until finally a Beautiful Flower!

• pirate_girl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Sorry, your link doesn't seem to work.

• greentoe357
    9 years ago

You need to be logged in to facebook in order to see photos there, unfortunately.

EDITED to add: there are a few pictures there, actually. Press left/right to see them all.

Jan, how do you grow it? What do you think led to it flowering? How old was the plant when it flowered?

This post was edited by greentoe357 on Sat, Jul 5, 14 at 11:05

• vermonthoyas
    9 years ago

Yes, Jan please give us the details. I am also one of those who does not do Facebook. I would also like to know the exact time of the year that it flowered. I'm pretty sure that I have a very small peduncle on mine, which I am watching far too closely!

• greentoe357
    9 years ago

Allis in Sweden set up her LED lights in October, and her curtisii flowered in, or by, late February. Jan's pics are from late February as well.

Carol says her curtisii flowers more on the full sun side of the plant than on the shadier other side.

In related news, I am losing red color on a lot of Carol's one-month-old cuttings under 2 T5 bulbs, so Captain Obvious has to report that this artificial light is weaker than Hawaiian sun, and light consistency cannot compensate. Which leads me to think you gotta nuke that plant with everything ya got in order to get it to flower. Maybe. In any case, a highly positive side effect (for me) would be those gorgeous copper-colored leaves.

• Denise
    9 years ago

There are certain Hoyas that I just don't even care if they bloom, and curtisii is one of them. Such adorable leaves - the perfectly heart-shaped, splotchy leaves, so succulent. I'm just glad I've finally gotten one to grow well. I'm on my 3rd EA curtisii, and this one is doing well for me. The secret seems to be to drown it and then let it dry out really well before drowning it again.

Be sure to post the peduncles in progress, Doug. I love the see how they develop, and since I can't see Jan's photo, either, I'm not even sure what they look like!

Denise in Omaha

• greentoe357
    9 years ago

I guess you not only have to be on facebook, but also "friends" with Jan (https://www.facebook.com/jansword.11) in order to see her pics.

I also don't care if curtisii blooms for me, well except for that "curtisii blooming" vanity badge to put on my lapel. Those blooms are rather low on my highly subjective beauty list of hoya blooms - very much unlike the leaves.

> I'm on my 3rd EA curtisii, and this one is doing well for me. The secret seems to be to drown it and then let it dry out really well before drowning it again.

That sounds right, glad you found what works, Denise. A crucial part of my EA strategy has been to simply take many cuttings soon after I bring one home. Then you can get the plant into a pot or two with the mix that you like and know how to water. I did repot my very first two EA hoyas without taking cuttings (did not think of it at the time and did not know EA hoyas are a pain to repot), and even though the plants both survived and even flowered, the pouting period and the level of drama they gave me in the aftermath was just far too much for my tastes.

• vermonthoyas
    9 years ago

>Allis in Sweden set up her LED lights in October, and her curtisii flowered in, or by, late February. Jan's pics are from late February as well.

If they bloom in February, I don't think I stand much of a chance. I have been giving my curtisii as much direct sun as I dare hanging on a shepherd's crook outdoors. It really seems to like it. I can never maintain those kind of conditions indoors even with lights.

Denise, if the peduncle ever gets big enough I will photograph it. To give you an idea of size right now, I would put it at about half the size of a Dischidia flower - pretty darned small. After really examining my plant, I'm sure that I have had these peduncles develop in the past under favorable conditions - probably in the summer, and then they must dry up when brought back indoors. My plan for now is to give the plant the best darned eight weeks of summer (summers are short here in VT!) of its life and hope for the best!

Doug

Sponsored