Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cpawl

Elliptica is blooming.

cpawl
12 years ago

This is the second time flowering and the fragrance is a lot stronger this time.It opened this morning.

Cindy

Comments (19)

• Denise
    12 years ago

Those are stunning flowers, but I think this one will have to go on my "wish" list for the leaves. WOW!

Denise in Omaha

• ima_digger
    12 years ago

WOW is right. I've put it on my wish list too. The flowers are cute also. They remind me of little ballerinas with their ruffled tutus.

• puglvr1
    12 years ago

Gorgeous Cindy!! Now I really can't wait to see mine open. Your leaves are SO much prettier than mine. Yours really has that very prominent "turtle back" pattern on the leaves, nice dark green leaves. Mine has a few brown spots(imperfections) and not nearly as attractive as yours...Your plant is really beautiful and of course so are the blooms! Thanks for posting!!

• kellyknits
    12 years ago

Cindy,

It's just gorgeous! Are you growing yours outside not that it's warmer?

Kelly

• cpawl
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks everyone for the nice words.
    Kelly, I have decided not to move this hoya outside for the summer.No real reason except that I am nervous that something might happen to it.I took it outside to take the photo and then it went back onto the kitchen window.
    Pug, I really hope you can also enjoy seeing the flowers in person.I went and took another look at your photo,its a bit hard to see the the leaves but I can only guess maybe its a different clone.

Cindy

• kellyknits
    12 years ago

Pug,
    I have two hoyas. I think yours is like the first one in this picture which I believe is IML 1679 - mine came from Asiatica- and Cindy's is like the second one which is Clone A from Aleya.
    Here's mine from February:

If that is the case I think your flowers will look more like the link below than like Cindy's. Looks like we'll see pretty soon!

Here is a link that might be useful: Elliptica

• cpawl
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Kelly, I think you are correct about pugs plant is different than mine.One thing I noticed in pugs pic is that the peduncle was much longer than mine but was not sure until I took a look a the link you gave.The peduncle is also long.On my plant all the peduncles are very short and do not really look like a peduncle.
    Pug it will great to see your flowers when they open.

Cindy

• puglvr1
    12 years ago

Thanks Kelly for that link. After looking at your pictures and the pictures on the link your provided it looks very similar to your plant on the left IML #1679. Mine was a gift from a friend. Both your plants are very nice too Kelly. I'm sure you will have blooms soon. Mine I've noticed has been a very good grower, which I'm very happy about. I've only had this hoya since Oct. 2010.

Cindy, good observations on mine having long peduncles...I remember now that yours had much shorter ones. My leaves and peduncles definitely resembles the one on Antone's website that Kelly provided.

Hopefully, it won't blast so we can see the difference in blooms in any? Can't wait.

Nancy

• lovingmy4babies
    12 years ago

Those flowers are gorgeous, but the leaves are simply STUNNING(well, they are to me, anyway! lol). This one has gone on my wish list as well!

• rennfl
    12 years ago

Gorgeous leaves, beautiful flowers. What more could you ask for?

Renee

• kellyknits
    12 years ago

Mine really took off this year. Had worried about losing both. Ended up restarting them last fall, I believe, and they just keep growing! Actually potted them up recently!

I hope mine will flower...however the window they're in gets far less light in the summer due to trees.

Kelly

• greedygh0st
    12 years ago

I have to agree with the others that your elliptica is absolutely spectacular, Cindy. I'm not sure what those blooms remind me of, but they are definitely distinctive.

/Kelly Thanks for helping to sort out the different ellipticas we've been seeing around here lately. I was curious about that, too. So, then how does Aleya Clone B compare to all of these?

• dmichael619
    12 years ago

Really nice pic of your Elliptica Cindy!!!

• theplanthoarder
    12 years ago

Okay, I really need to stop coming to this board, it just enables me. Now I see another plant I had to put on my wishlist. I was going to order a cutting from Ted Green but Joni just sent me a notification that three plants I have on the wishlist are available. I guess I will have to wait on the elliptica. I am going to end up on an episode of hoarders except with hoyas instead of trash. I wonder if anyone has ever died from being overrun with houseplants like hoarders do with trash.

• greedygh0st
    12 years ago

LOL I just got some notifications too. /dance /guilt. ^_^

I just keep telling myself as long as my plants are thriving, I am not an dysfunctional hoarder... I am a functional hoarder!

• mdahms1979
    12 years ago

Congratulations on the second round of flowers Cindy, that plant must be very happy.

Mike

• golden_ca_2000
    12 years ago

That is BEAUTIFUL Cindy!!! Is the fragrance nice?

• cpawl
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks mike and golden,yes it dose have a light fragrance.A bit like plain yogurt and with a touch of yeasty bread.First thing in the morning when I walk into the kitchen and get near the plant I can smell it faintly.Its not bad.

Cindy

• kellyknits
    12 years ago

What?!?!? I signed up for notifications for ANYTHING and haven't gotten one yet....uh oh. Better see if I have it set correctly....

Kelly

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths
More Discussions