Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alavoneluvhoya

Why the love for Hoyas?

alavoneluvhoya
11 years ago

I posted this for fun. I think it would be interesting to know why all of you love Hoyas? Is it the look? The flowers? The sometimes LONG waiting for flowers? The Leaves? We may all love them for the same reason who knows? Hopefully you guys like this post!

I love Hoya's for their individual personality's. The all speak to me in different ways. I would describe it like a painting to an artist. They are sentimental to me as well but we wont go into all of that. And of course the flowers and the ones that SMELL good!!!!!

Comments (4)

• greedygh0st
    11 years ago

I like them because they are vines... that can be grown indoors.

I answer this question slightly differently every time it comes up, but I think this is what it boils down to. I didn't even know Hoyas had such spectacular flowers when my interest first started developing. The carnosa I had fallen in love with was in way too low light to bloom. I think I just have an affinity for vining plants.

Why? Because they are so expressive with their growth. How many discussions do we get into about our Hoyas growing somewhere we don't like, or us getting into trouble because we tried to make them grow somewhere they didn't like? They are communicative and opinionated and they put up a good fight, sometimes. When's the last time you spent half an hour untangling your Begonias? (If you say yesterday, clearly you are better at growing Begonias than me... insanely better.)

And no matter how many times you loop them around a hoop, Hoyas still look wild and untamed. Saintpaulia may come from some cool riverbank in Tanzania or Kenya, but I never think "Ah, the great outdoors!" when I look at them. Hoyas... they turn my place into a scene from Where the Wild Things Are.

• bama_gardener
    11 years ago

For me, it's all about the foliage. I love the different shapes, sizes and variegation. I also love that I can hang them in the greenhouse, outside on the porch in the summer or inside. My collection isn't very large so the ones I have all seem to be easy to grow. Next step is to try some that are classified as a little more difficult.
    Beverly

• amber_m
    11 years ago

i think the biggest thing for me is that its really cool to have a plant growing in your home whos original habitat is on the other side of the world! and its so cool that they are all hoyas but look SO different!!!

• Klea
    11 years ago

I like this thread! It's interesting to read what attracts others to these wonderful plants. For me it's a little of this and a little of that. As greedyghost I love how they grow. The untidy way they wind themself around a trellis, the way you have to sweet talk them into growing the way you wish, and in all the tangled mess of vines and leaves: The Flowers - so symmetrical and delicate! Oh, how I love the flowers! In a way they look like candy - they look like they would taste as sweet as they smell! :) Add in gorgeous leaves (both in shape and colors), the often very pleasent scent, and the fact that there are so many (very different) species - who could not love hoyas?