Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ks_girl

Trellis for Hoya

ks_girl
15 years ago

These 2' ladder type trellis I get at Lowe's, two per package for under $5. also has a dz or so butterfly clips.{{gwi:959561}}

These wire hoops I get at Wal Mart for $1.80

I open the hoop and remove the wire legs (to be bent and used for smaller Hoya) than I take a pair of pliers and bend out the two ends of the hoop for legs to stick in the pots.

{{gwi:959563}}

Jo

Comments (17)

• emerald1951
    15 years ago

Hi Jo, what a neat idea with the hoops, thanks for the idea. I will have to look for the trellis at lowe's next time I'm shopping...thanks a lot..linda
    By the way someone on gw talked about something you can dip the wood in to keep it from rotting, does anyone remember or know what that was called???

• ima_digger
    15 years ago

Jo, could you post a picture using the wire hoop? I can't visualize how you use it. It looks to be very promising. I have two of the ladder trellis and I'm thinking of geting more for a few larger hoya that are growing quite fast. The hoops may be better.
    Thanks
    Eileen

• shanna5
    15 years ago

Thanks Jo, Next time I'm at lowes and Walmart I'm definately getting one of each.

shanna

• ks_girl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Eileen, I posted a picture of my plant useing the wire hoop in the Villosa thread. JO

• ima_digger
    15 years ago

Jo, now I understand. I posted on that link, but forgot to add that coir is coconut fiber. I purchased a block at Petsmart, in the aquarium and small amphibium dept. You soak it in a gallon of water, then mix with your potting soil, and perlite and orchid bark. There are thread if you do a search. The clay pettets are great for rooting cuttings. They root much faster in the pellets, than in just water.

• haxuan
    15 years ago

emerald1951, I remember the stuff you dip steel/wire/wood to avoid rot is called "Plastic Dip". Also remember that you can find it at HD or something.

Hope that helps.

Xuan

• Denise
    15 years ago

A couple of points... When growing Hoyas on hoops, be sure to let new growth get some maturity before "clipping" to a hoop or trellis. Many Hoyas will die back if clipped with new growth facing downward.

Second, when buying coir, be sure it is from Sri Lanka. This is something that was cautioned to me by a commercial grower. He said some coir is full of salts, to the point of being toxic. But Sri Lanka coir is safe.

Denise in Omaha

• shanna5
    15 years ago

Jo
    I bought one of the trellis packages above from lowes. I put on on my variegated macrophylla and it looks so good.

shanna

• ks_girl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Shanna I'm glad you found them, I've bought some extra since I figure Lowe's will stop carrying them eventually. Jo

• emerald1951
    15 years ago

Hi Xuan...thank you...I couldn't remember what is was or where I read it..thanks again..linda

• shanna5
    15 years ago

Jo
    Yea that's a good idea, maybe if I get some extra cash I need to do the same. Are there any hoyas you tried to use that trellis for that you didn't like the look of? I have a HOYA MELIFLUA SSP. FRATERNA on one and i'm not sure I like it on there. But veriegated macrophylla looks great.

shanna

• ines_99
    15 years ago

I like to use this kind of trellis, I see them sold all over, garden centers, big box stores, in different sizes, for about $3 or $4. It is true though that you need to wait for vines to mature before trying to wrap or bend them onto the trellis, in alot of hoyas they will die back right where the growth started if you don't.

• shanna5
    15 years ago

Ines
    That looks really nice, I like your orchid pot. I haven't seen any like that around here, but I will keep my eye out for them though. Thanks for posting your picture.

shanna

• ines_99
    15 years ago

Shanna, I may have gotten that pot at Home Depot - not positive though, but home depot did have other orchid pots last summer. If I didn't get it there, then it was from my local garden center. It is probably too big for the hoya that is in it (cv Snowball) but it was what I had on hand, so....I have it potted in mostly orchid bark, perlite, and clay aggregate, so the oversized pot shouldn't be a problem.

One thing I like about this type of trellis is that it sort of dissappears as the plant covers it, you notice the plant, not the trellis

• shanna5
    15 years ago

Ines, I agree. Also the color being green it makes it easier to blend in than the brown/tan bamboo color if you don't have a ton of leaves.

Again thanks for posting, I will keep my out for the trellis.

shanna

• ks_girl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Shanna, Home Depot did have those orchid pots last summer, I found them on clerance for $1.00 & $2.00 each.
    I think they still carry a few and I think Lowe's may carry them also but not certain.
    I like these pots for setting plain plastic pots in.
    I do think that only certain Hoya look good on the bamboo ladders, I try and fit my Hoya to whatever I use for a trellis, it all depends on the shape of the plant I'm useing.

Tomarrow I'm going to Lowe's to get a small roll or green covered wire to make small hoops for my cuttings.
    It's small enough to bend by hand and I think the roll was around $6. can't remember how much was on the roll but plenty. It's the same type wire used by the Hawaii grower for her hoops.
    Jo

• ines_99
    15 years ago

Hopefully david (dmichael)will look at this and post pictures of the copper coil type trellis he makes.