Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
artur0_gw

hoya id

16 years ago

good day all, i recently purchased this hoya and would like to know what i have. if it looks familiar to anyone, please feel free to comment.

{{gwi:959728}}

More

Comments (25)

• 16 years ago

hmmm....have you seen Mr Subjuctives post about a heart shaped hoya he is trying to ID?

I have no idea here, if I had to guess I would say some type of carnosa, but that would be a wild guess. It is very nice looking, that's for sure.

• 16 years ago

i have, but am unable to access any of the pictures! hopefully i can fix that. thank you for the kind words about my hoya!
    cheers!

• 16 years ago

for now i will consider it as lacunosa, until i can 100% confirm. thanks!

• 16 years ago

It does look a lot like the one I just got, including the heaviness of the primary veins and the variability on how heart-y the heart shape is.

• 16 years ago

I don't think it is a lacunosa, I could be wrong, but I don't think so. It may not be carnosa either, but I would never guess lacunosa. The leaves are too succulent and too big compared to any lacunosa I have ever seen.

Does anyone recall a lacunosa that looks like this?

• 16 years ago

ines 99 and mr subjunctive, thank you for your ideas.

ines,in mr subjunctive's earlier thread you said
    "* Posted by ines_99 (My Page) on
    Sun, Jun 10, 07 at 20:41

There is a heart shaped lacunosa leaf that is the way you describe"

i think that the hoya i have is the same one from the earlier thread. the picture which mr subjunctive says is a good likeness of his hoya found at myhoyas.com is a good likeness of mine as well. it is labelled lacunosa (heart shaped leaves),

the big island growers have one called : Hoya lacunosa 'Heart Shaped'
    and it looks to be about the same one i have. i would love a variegated one though
    \ \

• 16 years ago

Yes, but when I was picturing Mr Subs plant after hearing his description, I was not picturing anything like yours! My lacunosa - and most of the subspecies I have seen, is a more petite plant, small leaves, not quite as thick as some hoyas, shinier surface on the leaves and darker green....it is also a more delicate plant, the vines are not usually as stiff or as thick in diameter as yours look.

Now for some reason I can only see that one little pic of one heart leaf on myhoyas and to me, it is the same shape as your heart shaped leaves, but the surface of it is smoother, and if it is like most lacunosas it is a smaller leaf....yours also has alot of little indentations, and the leaf in the picture at myhoyas is smooth. Those indentations happen to be a lacunosa charactoristic, and most lacunosas DO have those little indentations in the leaves, that is where the plant gets its name, it means "little lakes" or something similar. But on the other hand, alot of hoyas have those little indentations, including carnosa. It is very likely that your plant IS a lacunosa of some type that I have never seen before, since there are quite a few types of hoyas, of which I have probably only seen a quarter of in person! And pictures can be decieving! Even when you are pretty sure about a picture, you can only be positive when you see the plant bloom. I need to see more pictures of this lacunosa "heart shaped" to be sure.

Where is everyone tonight? Someone else must have an opinion.

• 16 years ago

I would never think that to be lacunosa. Like Ines said, the leaves are way too succulent and big. I'm no expert, but I really don't think that's what it is. Nice hoya, and good luck finding the ID :-)
    Gabi

• 16 years ago

Gabi, check out Carol's site and see what you think of that small pic she has of a heart shape lacunosa, it is a bit more similar but I am still skeptical.

• 16 years ago

i appreciate the skepticism. part of me thinks it is, part of me thinks otherwise

• 16 years ago

Thanks for pointing Carol's pic out Ines. They definitely look alike. Artur0, I don't think you'll really be 100% until you see blooms. If it IS lacunosa, you shouldn't have to wait too long to see blooms, so you won't be in suspense for TOO long! Where did you get this hoya from? Did a label come with it? Also, what is the size of the average leaf? They look pretty big in the picture (I can tell by looking at the leaves next to the pot it's in). I'm used to lacunosa being small-leaved, but maybe this clone has bigger leaves. However, Carol's picture seems to show small foliage. Also, the internodes on the above pic seem pretty long, whereas the internodes on Carol's heart-shaped lacunosa are short. I don't know...I'm with you on this Ines! Still skeptical :)
    Gabi

• 16 years ago

It sure looks like what someone on eBay is calling H. chelsey. I bought a couple last year and would be happy to send you a photo but it would have to be to your email since I can't figure out how to post pics here.

It looks WAY to big too be the heart leaf lacunosa and way too thick also, but hard to say with no measurements.

The "chelsey" is a sport of (I think) H. carnosa 'krinkle 8'. It is a FABULOUS grower and quite hardy. Haven't seen blooms yet.

Look on eBay and compare if there is a 'chelsey' up for bid.

Just my guess from the photos. -HN

• 16 years ago

i obtained it with no labeled from a chain-type garden center called sheridans which i dont particularly like to make purchases from . some nodes are tighter (3 within 3 inches) and some distances between nodes are very long. average leafs are 1 1/2 inches across. some leaves are almost perfect heart shapes having equal length and width, while others are more elongated. new growth is heavily cupped, the newest leaf dark red. the leaves are alot larger than lacunosa pallidiflora, and look like they would only get larger if given the chance

hoyanut

cant find the auction but i am interested anyway. when i first saw it i thought it was a carnosa (from 10 feet away)
    but then i thought otherwise as i got closer. some of the leaves have very little to no indent at the top, making them resemble a more rounded carnosa.
    thanks!

• 16 years ago

Maybe I could ask myhoyas if she could take a look at your picture artur0.

Or if she could put some more pictures on her web

• 16 years ago

Thanks for all the detailed info, MIM. I really don't think it's a lacunosa from what you described.

HoyaNut....great thinking! I remember seeing that auction as well, and it DOES resemble it. Was it hoya "chesley" or hoya "chelsea"? Can't remember. I searched for both on Ebay but none came up...guess it's not for auction right now. But I would've never thought of that...definitely a possibility. Anyone have a pic of hoya chelsea?

Gabi

• 16 years ago

Oops, I meant to say "Artur0" not "MIM" (I was confused because both of your ID posts are similar!).
    Gabi

• 16 years ago

Hi!

I maild my question to myhoyas and she thinks similar to hoyanut. So I'm convinst to what she says that it's variant of carnosa and that she thinks it's called cv. Chelsea.

So I take back my previos comment.

• 16 years ago

Gabi, you are right. it's 'chelsea'. That's what I get for being too lazy to walk out to the green room and look :~). HN

• 16 years ago

If you take away the heart shape, everything about this one says "carnosa". And "Krinkle" carnosas have those indentations as well, so it could be some variation of that one.

• 16 years ago

i would like to say thank you to all for the patience, help and efforts in all the responses!

• 16 years ago

Ok, so Hoya chelsea has be re-listed on Ebay. I will post the link below. Looks exactly the same as the above photo. Also, Carol has Hoya chelsea and took a look at the above pic and thinks it is indeed chelsea.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hoya chelsea

• 16 years ago

just thought id add that the newest leaves have tiny little hairs on them, and the stems are hairy as well,
    thanks again!

• PRO
    16 years ago

Here is my Hoya chelsea. I really love the way two hearts pair together.

• 16 years ago

nice!
    im interested to see this one bloom

Sponsored