Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greedygh0st

Hoya Spa/Hoya ______ is mad at me.

greedygh0st
12 years ago

I'm currently wrestling with the decision between splitting up my photo sets to separately themed accounts and going pro with Flickr (spoiler: Of course I'm just going to end up with a paid account).

While going through my old photos I discovered this:

This is what my H. pachyclada looked like when I received the cutting from David. Can you see me shaking my head sadly at my computer screen? This is the same plant that I have recently referred to as a "single-leafed refugee." Oh, yes, it's very much alive and bursting with new growth, having survived the torturous overwatering I gave it this winter. However, I am shocked... SHOCKED by how far it has fallen since it was lovingly entrusted into my hands. I don't usually suck this much, I swear.

So, my question for you guys is:

If given the chance to send ONE Hoya from your collection to a recuperative spa, where kind angels nursed it back to glory and you didn't have to stare at its accusingly bare nodes, WHICH Hoya would you send?

(Feel free to share the gory details of how it got to be a spa candidate, so that we all may learn a thing or two about what NOT to do. Before/After pictures are a plus. I'll post a current picture of my pachyclada this weekend so that no one has to feel lamer than me.)

Comments (3)

• quinnfyre
    12 years ago

Mindorensis. For sure. It is a one leafed wonder now, sadly. It was one of the hoyas that did not take kindly to the funk of 2011, and dropped most of its leaves. Not that it had a ton to begin with, but still. It is in my terrarium now, enjoying higher humidity and more frequent watering. Fitchii, right next to it, is putting it to shame. It looks marvelous. Mindorensis is just sitting there with its one leaf. Hey, at least it still has that. I put it in the terrarium with three, and it promptly dropped two. I thought it was going to be mega sad, but as long as it's got that one leaf, I can foliar feed it, and it has a better shot photosynthesizing. Here's hoping.

My second candidate would be cagayanensis. It has taken a sudden turn for the worse and it seems to be that the soil turned sour. I changed the soil but it is almost all yellow now, and dropping leaves left and right. I've got a bit of it that is staying green at the moment. I hope it turns around, but it will be a mere fraction of the plant it was before this all happened.

• greedygh0st
    Original Author
    12 years ago

That's my sad AFTER photo of pachyclada to encourage everyone else to air their dirty laundry.

It doesn't really surprise me that mindorensis would be the sulky type. I've never pissed mine off, but I haven't particularly pleased it either. It grows a new leaf at about the same pace as Texas secedes from the union.

Cagayanensis has been okay for me, but pimenteliana (still not sure if these are the same thing or not) went through a freak out last fall. I put it in the same cool humidity dome where I keep megalantha and engleriana and it turned around. I still consider it a cagey little fellow.

• quinnfyre
    12 years ago

Cagayanensis was doing great. If it had gone downhill for no perceivable reason I would be mad at it, but the soil was definitely off. It smelled sour and bad. This is one of the reasons I try to change the potting mix over to coco fiber of coco husk chunks as soon as I can, but I held off on this one because it had been doing well and I didn't feel like setting it back. Also because I had been feeling overwhelmed in general. If it survives, then great. If not, I will try again with a new one. In fact, I may just get a new one as backup. If the original one survives, then I can consolidate. I did this with subcalva, vitiensis, variegated macrophylla and will eventually consolidate brevialata as well. It worked out well. The backup made me feel more comfortable and seems in all cases to have encouraged the original to get over whatever sulking fit it started. Perhaps due to competition? Fear of being replaced? :) And upon consolidation, I end up with a nice full looking plant. Kind of cheating, I suppose, but it's easier for me to combine them and grow them as one plant than it is to have multiples taking up all the room.

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus
More Discussions