Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
abigail1280

Hoya Seeds

abigail1280
13 years ago

Has anyone ever tried growing a hoya from seeds? I've acquired some hoya seeds. I know that they need to be kept moist, but does anyone have any advice on soil, etc? Thanks!

Comments (6)

• puglvr1
    13 years ago

Hi Abigail, I've never done it before...but have read a few members having great success with it. I linked a post from one them (Jan).Hope the link helps you. If you do a search on "seed pods" I'm sure you will find a few others...Have fun and Good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: Eye Candy...

• ladygreensleeves
    13 years ago

Hi Abigail....I used a method very simular to the one described in the link above. I used those clamshell containers that you get goodies from the deli and bakery from at the grocery store to start them in. I put a thin layer of peat that I misted with warm water, than the seeds on top and misted them with the warm water and closed the container. In about 24 to 48 hours you should see them start to sprout. Keep them moist with misting, and add peat as they grow and get taller. Good Luck!

• abigail1280
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Awesome, thanks for all the information! I feel a lot more confident about growing theses seeds. I should be getting them any day now, so I'll be ready to start growing them! Oh, one more question: about how long does it take for a hoya to mature and start producing flowers? Or does it vary with each different type? I thought I read somewhere about 3 years.

• eli_h
    13 years ago

Please look at my hoya carnosa seeds story

Here is a link that might be useful: hoya carnosa seeds story

• pirate_girl
    13 years ago

Hi Abigail,

I've heard they need to be very fresh to germinate. I was given some seed a few yrs. ago by an early member of this Forum. She gave me H lacunosa seeds & said pot it up quick, which I did. They got to be abt 2" tall before I unfortunately msised a watering & after that, they were toast.

I had a great, clear plastic egg carton, into which I planted them. Don't recall what mix, likely some African Violet mix (light & fluffy w/ extra perlite). I believe the trick was keep the container closed so as to enclose the some moisture into the container w/ the seeds (like a terrarium).

Experiment, maybe split the seeds into 2 or 3 groups & plant them in different ways, see what works for you & have fun.

• abigail1280
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you everyone for all of your great advice! I enjoyed the pictures and everything. I managed to find a clear plastic egg container. Unfortunately, it is still in the fridge with eggs in it. After purchasing Macgillivrayi seeds from ebay on June 25th, I received positive feedback from the seller, and nothing else. Since then, their feedback score had dropped from 100 to 71 and they've received 32 negative feedbacks, so I don't think I'm getting my seeds. Plus I think it would be too late to plant them anyways. I've contacted the seller twice, with no response. I'm disappointed and frustrated, I was really looking forward to trying seeds, but oh well. Thanks everyone for the great information though!

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?