Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
denise_gw

Hoya fungii

Denise
12 years ago

You all may remember awhile back I posted this...

My otherwise healthy fungii's leaves started turning yellow last year. They don't drop, they simply turn a dark yellow. Newer leaces from the same vines seem ok. And when I took a bunch of cuttings in late winter from the yellow stems, these same leaves have slowly turned back green. After reading your title and recognizing the word "chlorosis" but not remembering what it was, I did some research and I'm now convinced my soil pH is alkaline, which apparently causes an iron deficiency. Now I guess that brings me to a question that someone will hopefully be able to answer. What's the best course of action to correct this problem? Should I get a test kit and confirm that the soil is alkaline? And if it is, then what? I remember we used to have a pin oak that was iron deficient and we had a bag of something and we would spread some on the soil around it once or twice a year (lime? does that sound right?)

So I ended up getting some "soil acidifier" and put the appropriate amount on the soil and watered it in. It's been watered 3 times since I put it on and so far, I'm not seeing a significant difference. I'm thinking the new growth does look greener, so maybe it's just going to take time, but I'm thinking I'm going to whack her back the rest of the way and start a bunch of cuttings. So I took one cutting this afternoon and decided to put it in with one I took a few months ago and started in hydroton. Look at the contrast...

{{gwi:959940}}

The left one looked very similar to the right one when I took the cutting, and look how green by comparison it has become! So definitely something's up with the old soil or roots...

Denise in Omaha

Comments (2)

Sponsored