Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amber_m_gw

possible cool idea for a planter???

amber_m
11 years ago

ok, so ive just had a really neat idea but because im so new to hoyas i dont know if this would work... has anyone ever thought of maybe growing hoyas upside down like tomatoes in those topsy turvy thing? im thinking maybe you would cut the very bottom off of a two liter, and fill it with soil and hang it with the neck facing down... the only problem would be that you would have to start with a small cutting or a plant that didnt have a very big root system yet because you would have to get it through the neck of the bottle... im not saying im going to actually do this... i was just thinking about possable planters that we have around the house and this just jumped into my mind... maybe when i have a plant thats big enough to take cuttings from ill experiment with this...

Comments (7)

• Ren_Flowers
    11 years ago

This sounds totally cool :) though if you cut the bottom end off, you wont need TOO small of a plant. You could slip the plant in first, before you add the dirt. (Though the leaves would have to fit through the bottle opening..)

Seeing as hanging baskets suit many hoya, I don't see why this couldn't work. You could cut open the bottle when it came time to transplant. One thing I would consider is, many people find that hoya don't like their growing tips to be facing down. Sometimes the vine will die back to a node facing up! I would be curious to hear what those with more experience had to say about having the entire plant below the roots.

I would be willing to bet, most hoya would send out runners pointing up! Probably grabbing onto anything they could reach. Eventually the leaf weight would pull the vine down (if it isn't wrapped onto something) and I'm thinking the growing tip would keep itself pointing up anyway. (Imagine point up.. leaves..gradually weighed down and readjusting growing tip to point up)

Other thoughts?
    -Keiko

• amber_m
    Original Author
    11 years ago

im kinda sad that someone who knows a ton about hoyas has not commented on this giving their advise yet... i think it might be a really cool idea, just not sure if it would totally work... would love to hear anyones oppinions... or maybe ill just have to experiment with this one...

• mitzicos
    11 years ago

Amber,

I'm pretty sure that the experient people here will comment as soon as they read the post.

I cannot say anything because I don't even know what topsy turvy means (I'm Brazilian and my English is not very good) and we don't have this topsy turvy here!

But looking at google images I think it would work fine if you start with a small cut. The only way to know if it works or not is to try. Why don't you?

Mitzi

• greedygh0st
    11 years ago

@ Mitzi

The product Amber refers to can be seen here

@ Amber

I had to laugh at your impatience. PG may have prematurely warned you against weekend fretfulness in the other thread, but maybe she knew you well after all. Hahahaha. ;P I tease.

Well...

The people who designed the Sky Planter say that Hoyas grow well in them, not that I really take the growing opinions of designers seriously.

This whole topsy turvy tomato movement really has me flummoxed. It seems more entertaining than useful, to me. And keep in mind that a tomato plant has a one season life, versus a Hoya which must conform to these unusual conditions over decades. Some people report that the maintenance of these upside-down containers is more involved than it initially seems. I have no personal experience to report, but you might want to read up.

Because most species of Hoyas are relatively new to collection and study, our focus is usually on trying to mimic their native habitats, and discovering how to stimulate stronger growth, versus test their adaptability.

That said, I really don't want to rain on your parade. You have a creative, engaged mind, and I hope you keep kicking around fresh ideas. After all, it's not "natural" to grow Hoyas on hoops, yet many of us grow our plants this way (not always without upsetting the Hoyas, be forewarned!)

I think it is much more natural for an epiphytic plant to grow upside-down than a tomato. I'm sure in nature there are many instances where the majority of the plant ends up beneath the root system.

But I also agree with Keiko that most Hoyas will try to grow upward whenever they can. Even many of the hanging Hoyas still grow upward initially, until the accumulated weight of their growth pulls them down. They seem to grow most excitedly with less die-back when they are satisfied in this instinct.

Maybe you should start two cuttings at the same time, one upside-down and one right-side up (both in pop bottles) and compare their progress. The upside-down Hoya will have the same opportunity as its right-side-up peer to grow whatever direction it chooses. Who can tell what it means to a plant to have its roots above it, without testing it? Just don't test it on all your Hoyas at once; these things are usually entered into cautiously.

Also, choose Hoyas that naturally drape down, which I know is your preference anyway. Something like a lobbii might be good.

• mitzicos
    11 years ago

Thank you GG! When I don't know what people is talking about I go to google and ask for images.... most of the time I'm luck but sometimes I don't get a clue what they are talking about!

Thanks again,

Mitzi

• mitzicos
    11 years ago

.... rain on your parade.... must be the same thing that we say here rain in the water....... LOL, it is very difficult for foreings, or not native English language!!!!!!

Mitzi

• greedygh0st
    11 years ago

lol I never notice when I am using these phrases.

"Rain on your parade" = spoil something happy/exciting

I meant that Amber was enjoying new possibilities, and I didn't want to say no no no and ruin the fun. ;)

What is the meaning of the Portuguese saying "rain in the water," that you mention?