Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dmichael619

update:: on 2011 iris liddle order

dmichael619
12 years ago

I just wanted to let everyone know to get all of your supplies ready for potting up some new hoya cuttings!!! I heard through the grapevine that our shipment left Australia this morning and is in route to the U.S.

The original plan was to ship after the July 4th holiday but Iris got word that AQIS ( the Aussie equivalent of our U.S.D.A.) is raising the cost of inspection and phyto fees astronomically!!! Therefore she chose to ship early.I have also heard that due to these high price increases this may very well be our last international shipment from the Liddle Nursery. According to Iris the prices will be so high for her to ship and us as collectors to buy, that it just won't be worth it in the long run.

Things usually travel fast from the Liddles to the states so my guess is by Friday they will be in customs ..UNFORTUNATELY!!! Monday is a holiday so nothing will be moving through customs. Barring any other hold ups,and depending on what sort of mood the U.S.D.A. workers are in on Tuesday, Carolyn could have the shipment by mid week next week. Say prayers and keep your fingers crossed!!!

David

Comments (54)

• debbie_ny
    12 years ago

oh my!!!!!!! i forgot about this order!!! darn! i need to look back to see what i ordered and get things set up.....thanks for the update!

• greedygh0st
    12 years ago

Well this is a surprise!

Thanks for the update, David. And thanks in advance, Carolyn, for looking after this last shipment of little Australian emigres. I know they're in good hands.

I'm so nervous/excited now.

• dmichael619
    Original Author
    12 years ago

How's this for fast???? the shipment which just left Australia yesterday,is already in U.S. customs in LA

• wrynsmom
    12 years ago

We can only hope it doesn't stay there long . . . ;)

I've got the boxes and labels all ready to go! Just need plants to put in them, now! hehehe

Carolyn

• dmichael619
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Okay you really want to hear about some fast turnaround time on an international shipment,probably the fastest i've seen to date and i've been ordering from the Liddle's for almost 10 years now. Our shipment left Australia yesterday (6/29)it was received in and cleared for release by U.S. customs today (6/30) and is already in the U.S. postal service system. What does this mean you may ask??? Well it most likely means that Carolyn will have our hoya cuttings in her hands no later than tomorrow!!! The temptation is so there for me to overnight mine but with them being cut fresh and traveling as fast as they have to get here they will still be just fine on Tuesday when I get them!!

Now the bad news!!! Even if she gets them in time to separate,repack and ship tomorrow,the post office is closed Monday for the holiday which means we don't get our playthings until Tuesday!!!:

• quinnfyre
    12 years ago

Hey, I feel much better about it having them hang out with Carolyn, vs languishing at the post office. The suspense is killing me. I hope I got what I really wanted. Crossing fingers!

• eye_love_begonias
    12 years ago

Wow, that's an amazing turn around time! Thanks for keeping those of us with ants in our pants, up to date on the Hoya itenerary!

• wrynsmom
    12 years ago

Still just seeing "inbound out of customs" on usps.com
    I've called my post office and let them know to look for it, so I can pick it up as soon as it gets there. As opposed to having it sit in a hot truck while my delivery person slowly ambles her way to my house. :) Super nice guys up at the main.

If it's gonna get there, today, it will be there in about an hour, and they'll call me.

I promise to take good care of your babies for the two seconds they are in my hands. :)

Have a great weekend all!

Carolyn

• greedygh0st
    12 years ago

That is just amazing. There must be some kind of top secret channel between CA and Australia, controlled by ninjas riding pumas.

And wow, Carolyn. You're just swarming all over this situation. I'm so impressed. O_O

• wrynsmom
    12 years ago

GG, you should be "fall on the floor" impressed, at this point. EVERYTHING is on it's way to you guys. I shipped it all this morning!!!! WOOHOO!!!! Yes, you may allow your jaw to drop in total awe. ;) hehehe

Carolyn

• patrick51
    12 years ago

Carolyn....a HUGE THANK YOU to you....no one could have done it faster!! Thanks so much!! Fondly, Patrick

• wrynsmom
    12 years ago

You got it, Patrick! Did you get your tracking number I sent?

• eye_love_begonias
    12 years ago

and HUGE high five's and knuckle bumps from me Carolyn! You are a boxin'-shippin' rock star!

THANK YOU SO MUCH for the extra-fast boogie to get those little Aussie cuttings in the mail.

• dmichael619
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Great work Carolyn!!! A job very well done!!!
    Thanks

• peanut01
    12 years ago

I am very impressed - I am half tempted to take off Tuesday just so I can have some time alone with my new cuttings. Thank you so much Carolyn for the fast processing.

Did your want list get bigger after seeing all the cuttings that everyone ordered? Did you happen to get a picture of the shipment? Any blooms on any of the cuttings?

You can probably tell that some of us are chomping at the bit. lol

TYVM-David

• wrynsmom
    12 years ago

Actually, I didn't even look at the cuttings. I just transferred them from the aussie box over to each individual box. :( Sorry. I was trying to get them to the post office before it got busy with the last minute shippers. hahaha

But you are all more than welcome. Glad I could help out with everyone's hoya addiction.

Carolyn

• gennykins
    12 years ago

Carolyn,

Thank you so much for being the Santa Claus for my hoya Christmas. I am relishing the anticipation.

Lisa

• tigerdawn
    12 years ago

When/where do we send payment?

• wrynsmom
    12 years ago

When I get an invoice from Iris Marie, I'll send it on to you. :)

Carolyn

• wrynsmom
    12 years ago

I just checked USPS and it looks like everyone should get there package, today. Most are "out for delivery" and a few are still at the PO in your town. Let me know when they arrive!!!

Carolyn

• eye_love_begonias
    12 years ago

Just curious, since these are really so fresh and haven't languished en route to us, is it going to be necessary to soak in water & products like VF-11 or Superthrive?

Would really like some feedback since I'm still pretty green with hoyas and want to be successful with these cuttings given that it's unlikely we'll get to order from Iris again. Thanks gang!

• quinnfyre
    12 years ago

Yahoo! They're here! Pics to come later. I have to run some errands. I am soaking mine in plain water at the moment. They look great, I just figured they might be thirsty, since it is hot out. I could feel the heat radiating off the cuttings when I unpacked them.

• eye_love_begonias
    12 years ago

Be still my heart! Mine just arrived and look great.
    Even better is my entire order shipped. Every one! Woop woop!

As soon as I'm done bouncing off the walls, I'll snap a few photos!

(breathe now, just breathe...)

• wrynsmom
    12 years ago

Woohoo!!!! Most people soak them, no matter what. I usually don't, unless they look dehydrated or limp. If the leaves are turgid, then I just pot them up!

Carolyn

• peanut01
    12 years ago

I received mine and have potted up 4 so far. They all look great!!! Thank you so much :) I took a pic of the package and then when opened. I'll take some pics of the individual plants after I pot them up. I only had 2 leaves break off in shipping. The thin leaved varieties are soaking while I am potting up some of the others.

-David

• eye_love_begonias
    12 years ago

Some look a bit dehydrated others not at all. How long should they soak?

• wrynsmom
    12 years ago

I'd shoot for at least a half hour . . . but I'm no expert on the soaking. I just check them periodically and take them out when I feel they're ready.

David, I'm so sorry some leaves broke off!!! I tried so hard to pack them so it wouldn't happen. :( I do hope they still look okay, and grow beautifully for you.

Carolyn

• eye_love_begonias
    12 years ago

Thanks Carolyn!

Off to pot them up in my propagation tank.
    But here are my photos...
    (if you click the photo, they are tagged with who is who...

Next

Next...

Next...

and lastly

• gennykins
    12 years ago

Carolyn,

Got mine! Thank you!!!!!!

Lisa

• peanut01
    12 years ago

Oh Carolyn. You do extra excellent at packing those hoyas. Leaves fall off all the time. Thank you so very much. Those 2 leaves were not missed and I am sure I would of plucked them off to bare a little exta vine for rooting ;) 8 done so far. 5 to go. Pics on the way. No forsythe potting for me. But I am rooting in a little different medium this time. It is something Mitzi posted awhile back if anyone remembers the "Black Gold".

-David

• quinnfyre
    12 years ago

A few pics for now. I'm soaking them until I get around to potting them. I have a few more things to do, then I will work on that.

Kalimantan was the one I really really wanted, so I am very happy to see it! It is amazing looking. Kentiana is not super easy to see in the pic, but it is there. The immediate thing I notice is that it is much much narrower than wayetti. Wayetti is canoe shaped, kentiana is blade shaped. I will take more pics later tonight.

• tigerdawn
    12 years ago

Mine are here!! I made a new thread before I saw this one had pictures.

• mitzicos
    12 years ago

David,

Where did you find tree fern bark? Xaxin (dicksonia sellowiana )? This is great for hoyas and orchids!

I wish I could be joining/sharing some pictures of this order with all of you, but I'm as glad as you all!

Good luck for you all

Mitzi

• golden_ca_2000
    12 years ago

Very NICE... what is the variety you are holding in your hand Quinn? (whatever it is I really like it)

• peanut01
    12 years ago

Here is the finished product. I will place them in the deep shade to root. It is very hot and humid here this time of year. There are 14 pictures in all. Thanks again and I look forward to seeing everyone elses pictures.

@Mitzi - I grew one for several years that finally succumb last winter. I saved the plant matter to use later :)

The lineup...

IML 1046 Hoya lambii

IML 1669 Hoya rigida

IML 0234 Hoya obscura

IML 0329 Hoya cinnamomifolia

IML 0768 Hoya mindorensis

IML 1777 Hoya mindorensis

IML 0187 Hoya incrassata

IML 1270 Hoya imperialis

IML 1622 Hoya aff. macrophylla variegata

IML 0904 Hoya heuschkeliana

IML 0444 Hoya fungii

IML 0415 Hoya erythrina

IML 1556 Hoya caudata

Thanks for looking and including me in on this order.

Kudos Carolyn(wrynsmom) and Iris Marie Liddle!!!

-David

• quinnfyre
    12 years ago

It is pottsii IML 0022. The one that is supposed to bloom blue green. It is pretty, isn't it? I wasn't expecting the red edges or the dainty leaf size.

• cpawl
    12 years ago

I love seeing everyone's new cuttings.Thanks for sharing photos.

Cindy

• puglvr1
    12 years ago

Congrats everybody!! Carolyn...you did a wonderful job packing and shipping them!

Thanks for sharing all your photos and Good luck with your new and beautiful Hoyas!

• mitzicos
    12 years ago

I love seeing everyone's new cuttings.Thanks for sharing photos (2).

Is such a great pleasure to me to come here and see all those beautis, feel very glad that all the hoyas arrived well.

Carolin, did you pack and shipped everyone hoyas? You did a great job.

Thank you to all of you for sharing those great photos, I'm here supporting (buoying) for the fastest rooting and waiting for the flowers!!!!

Good luck to all!

Please continue to post the development, if possible.

Mitzi

• wrynsmom
    12 years ago

Thanks, everyone!

Yes, Mitzi. All the plants came here and I reboxed and shipped them out to the individuals who ordered them. :)

Carolyn

• greedygh0st
    12 years ago

/Begonia What a beautiful wealth of cuttings - I got so excited looking at them, as if they were mine. And I love your well-labeled photographs. The caption on the multiflora cracked me up.

I really like that IML 1669, not just for the red, but also because its leaves have a nice sensuous downward curve that sets it apart from the other rigidas I have.

Those Sumatra cuttings are going to look so spectacular when they're big. Love that 1198! I think the acuta 1462 is actually my favorite of what you got, though. Definitely special.

/David I just love the photo you took of them all lined up on your deck. The angle of the photo makes it look like the line of new plants goes on forever off into the horizon. In the table photo, what is the one directly to the right of what I believe is heuschkeliana?

I'm really sorry you lost your 1424, but this is a cool rigida too, and I'm sure we can put 1424 into your hands again down the road.

/Mitzi You know, I'm always surprised by how much I like looking at other people's cuttings and plants, too. You'd think it would be kind of boring and jealousy-inducing, like looking at pictures of somebody's vacation, but I react to it more like it's the latest glossy Martha Stewart Living magazine.

• mitzicos
    12 years ago

GG,

I also love to see the pictures, and I get so glad as if all the cuts were mine, I know that happiness is contagious...., believe or not I feel the same emotion that you all, just watching the nice cuts, feel little sorry for not be in this list, but I still ordering my cuts and receiving as well, so I'm as glad as everyone and enjoying as much as all!

And for sure, choosing my new orders as per the cuts I've wiewing here.....

Mitzi

• peanut01
    12 years ago

/GG The hoya to the right is IML 0329 Hoya cinnamomifolia. I can't wait for this one to grow out. I selected it for its bloom.

The next order I make will be for red or lime green leaved plants. And I also want to stock up on some veiny varieties.

Any surprises from anyone elses orders?

My surprises were...
    1 - I didn't realize how big the leave would be on the caudata. The leave looks like it was sponge painted. I also wasn't expected the plant to be so wicked(different leaves and black vine). The texture to this hoya is different than expected too. I was thinking leave size would be similar to serpens or lacunosa.

2 - Lambii surprised me as well. I wasn't prepared for the leave size. The little point on the tip of the leave is cool too.

3 - Heuschkeliana has buds forming(may blast of course). Also this cutting was long enough the make several more cuts.

4 - I had no idea what imperialis was going to look like. I only recall seeing the blooms. It's leaves remind me of a magnolia or rubber tree. Also it seems very similar to multiflora.

I am not 100% sure what I was thinking when I made my list. But there are some that I received that I do not remember why I ordered them. Maybe based on the catalog description alone. I think the words fragrant or very frangrant may of triggered my purchase reflex.

-David

• greedygh0st
    12 years ago

lmao. I had that "what was I thinking?" feeling, too on some. Not because they weren't beautiful, but because all I can remember is how long I agonized over eliminating things, so I know the survivors won out over tough opponents and yet I'm not sure how. LOL

My main "what was I thinking" plant was nervosa, and then I looked at my original list and I realized it made the cut purely based on the fact that its collection point was in Vietnam LOL. It's a pretty plant, but I can't even find pictures of its flowers online.

I'm also not quite sure how IML 1420 made it on. I really like it b/c of its surprising velour backing, but there's no way I would have known that at the time, and there are plenty of Hoyas with more striking veins patterns.

What I was surprised by:

hypolasia: I was expecting long stiff leaves, I think. Wheras these leaves are not particularly long and really plushy velvety soft, very much like patella, except with a different shape.

1391 sp. IPPS8898: No idea why I selected this one in the first place, but this was undoubtedly the most wicked beautiful cutting in the group. This plant could bloom tiny brown cat turds and still be worth having.

hellwigiana: This one is just a lot prettier than I expected. I think I anticipated something along the lines of pottsii, which IS a plant I like a lot, but what I got was more like if pottsii and fitchii got down and dirty in the back of a VW Bug.

On an unrelated note, just b/c I had this post open as I hung up the phone, some crazy lady just accused me of not forwarding her messages because we're an American company and she's Canadian. wtf!

• ima_digger
    12 years ago

What a great collection of hoya. I am enjoying looking at all the cuttings and picking out new ones for my 'want list'. I wish my pocketbook was bottomless, I would have loved to get in on the order, but couldn't do it this time.

• dmichael619
    Original Author
    12 years ago

OKAY OKAY i'm here!!!! Much later than many of you expected i'm sure!!! I admit I have just lagged along here these past 2 days when i'm normally on top of my game when it comes to sharing pics of these new Australian hoyas. Once again I am quite pleased with the size and quality of what I received. I had no yellowing leaves and the cuttings looked as if they had just been cut. I received less than half of what was on my list but i'm happy with what I got. I just wish more would have been available since this is possibly our last order from the Liddle nursery.

I did get 4 new pottsii clones out of about 14 that were on the list so I was happy about that and 1 of them has the coolest round leaves!!!

So here's what I got and their first baby pictures!!!

0457-aff samoensis
    1211-citrina
    1864-clemensiorum
    1620-endauensis
    1681-flagellata
    1856-griffithii-FINALLY after about 12 attempts!!
    1272-marginata
    1451-obtusifolia
    1527-fusca
    0500-pottsii
    1827-pottsii kennedy gorge
    0525-pottsii pascoe rv
    0340-pottsii sp. hx59
    1029-sp ad19 kapit borneo
    1646-sp bintulu borneo
    1632-tomataensis
    1731-trigonolobus
    1024-waymaniae
    1597-bicknellii
    1830-gigantangensis

• greedygh0st
    12 years ago

Wow I love the IML 1627 pottsii Kennedy Gorge. That black veinage is very cool and it's so different from any pottsii I've seen. What's that huge daggery leaf on the far right midway up the same photo?

The fusca is just so crazy looking. I would like to see this one in person someday. It looks like that game you play with straw wrappers where you bunch them up and then drop water on them.

Is that round red leaf in the middle of the first photo the round leafed pottsii you are excited about? Whatever it is, it's gorgeous.

• dmichael619
    Original Author
    12 years ago

GG,
    the IML 1827 pottsii Kennedy gorge is the red leaf hoya!!! The leaf that you are viewing the underside of with the black vein is aff. clemensiorum IML 1864 and the big daggery green leaf to the right is H. trigonolobus IML 1731

Yes the round leaf pottsii is in the center of the photo but i'm not sure which of the 4 clones it was,well we know it isn't the IML 1827 because that's the one in the lower left of the photo

• greedygh0st
    12 years ago

Oops! I see my error now. I thought that ID slip was attached to the aff. clemensiorum. Makes more sense! I was thinking: Wow, I had no idea pottsiis varied that much in appearance!

trigonolobus?! Well I am sure glad I asked. I've never even heard of that one. The photo on Apodagis makes my tummy do flip flops.

Here is a link that might be useful: H. trigonolobus

• dmichael619
    Original Author
    12 years ago

GG,

I just hope I can keep this trigonolobus alive as I have killed it at least once in the past!!!! I'd like to see what the flowers look like myself,i've never even seen a pic of the blooms online anywhere.