Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dmichael619

Group order to Epiphytica

dmichael619
12 years ago

I'm sitting here thinking to myself as I type this that I must be insane for even thinking about doing this right now!!! I still have an order coming in from Iris Liddle that I need to get ready for and I have no idea where all of those hoyas are going to go as it is.

I have emailed Jack again at Epiphytica to let him know that i'm thinking about taking on a group order to him at this time for hoya cuttings. I can't find the email that he sent me before in regards to how it all works with him but I do recall him telling me that he does not offer a discount on the cuttings. If my mind serves me right I think he told me that on orders of $400 the shipping and phyto would be free. I'll know for sure when I get a response to my email. It's currently 4:30 in the morning in Thailand so it'll be a while before I here back from him.

If this group thing does happen to become a reality,here's how i'd like for it to go. I "REALLY" need to keep the number of participants to a manageable level say around 8-10. Any more than that and things just seem to spiral out of control. Trust me I hosted an order to David Liddle a few years ago for 32 people and that ended up being a MASTER DISASTER to say the least!!!! All the drama of what I had to go through with U.S. customs and then getting things separated and reshipped was proof enough for me that I AM NOT superman and just can't manage a group order of that size!!!

I would be included in that 8-10 so that means 7-9 more people would need to have an interest in participating. I'm sure that even if that many people don't jump on board we'd still easily meet the $$$ minimum requirement for the free phyto and shipping.

If you'd like to be part of this order go to Jack's website (Epiphytica.com) make out your wish list and send it to me. Once I get everyone's order i'll then forward Jack a master list to work by.

Starting with myself i'll accept the names of the next 7-9 people who would like to order hoyas from Epiphytica.

david

Comments (24)

• quinnfyre
    12 years ago

I'm being naughty and seriously considering participating in this order. There are lots of really interesting hoyas offered. I'm trying to narrow down what I want. I will definitely email you when I figure that out!

• kellyknits
    12 years ago

I'm in! My list is already ready, but seeing as this may be coming to fruition I must review my list again (and probably again....)! Will get it to you in the next 48 hours? How's that?

Kelly

• dmichael619
    Original Author
    12 years ago

So there is some interest in a group order!!!! Thus far I have 4 people on board,myself included. This is who is in at the moment.One of the 4 emailed me privately that's why you don't see their post above.

David--dmichael619
    Jane--Quinnfyre
    Kelly--Kellyknits
    Lisa--Gennykins

Since there will be a more than 13 cuttings arriving on this shipment it will require that I send Jack a few documents to accompany the order for customs purposes. I'll get those out in the next day or so. Once he gets the paper work and I get the combined order submitted to him, i'd guess that he'll begin working on it right away.

david

• kellyknits
    12 years ago

GG's slacking....

• dmichael619
    Original Author
    12 years ago

She sure is Kelly, she may want to hurry up and get in here,as I picked up another player. We now have 5!!!! This leaves room for just 5 more people.

• kellyknits
    12 years ago

I'm going to make the call and say add her to the list now! If for some reason she does not want to join I'll just have to order double! However since we've both been preparing our orders and have even compared, I think adding her is safe bet!

• theplanthoarder
    12 years ago

I'm interested in joining in if you still have room. I looked at the site a couple of weeks ago and made a list.

Michelle

• kellyknits
    12 years ago

David,

Do you have any advice for us with ordering? Are thinner leave varieties a BIG risk or not so much with the way Jack prepares them?

Once I have the answer, I may be ready to send you my list!

This will probably keep me up tonight! Oh, the pressure!

• dmichael619
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Kelly,
    i've never really had any issues with anything i've gotten from Jack with the exception of one hoya. For some reason the EPC 469 sp. ETS10 even though it travels well from Thailand, just will not stay alive for me once I get it.I've managed to loose 3 of them now. Other than that everything ,even the thin leaved ones seems to do well. I would also stay away from hoya sigillatis,it has needle thin vines and my experience with it when trying to get it from so far away is that it always arrives dead as a door nail!!!

Jack has updated the site and added many new hoyas. We now have 7 people taking part in the order so i'm sure we have most likely gone well over the $400 minimum for cuttings to qualify us for the free phyto and shipping.

1.david
    2.jane
    3.kelly
    4.lisa
    5.dee
    6.michelle
    7.jessica

• banannas
    12 years ago

Hi David,

I would like to join in. Please let me know how to go about it. I don't have that many I want to try. Just trying my had at the first time with cuttings is that ok?

Thanks,

Anne

• dmichael619
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Anne,

Just go to (epiphytica.com) when the page opens you will see a plant list to the left side of the homepage. Click on hoyas and 8 pages of hoya varieties will open up. Just choose what you'd like to order and send that list to me in an email. I'll handle it from there. When the time comes to make payment for the hoyas i'll let everyone know how,when,where and to whom to send the $$$$.

• patrick51
    12 years ago

David...someone should just shoot me!! But, please count me in, if there's still room...I made out a list months ago...will send it to you soon. Patrick

• lovingmy4babies
    12 years ago

Count me in as well, please, if there is still room! Thanks!

• dmichael619
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Okay I think our bus is full!!!Right now on my list I have 9 names BUT, I think i may have 2 different people named Michelle,emailing me privately!!! I need to make sure one way or the other so i'm holding spot #10 open just in case. So at this time let's consider enrollment for this group order as officially being closed.

I still haven't heard back from Jack yet but will post hear as soon as I do.

Patrick,what's a few more hoyas in your collection!!!! If any one needs to be shot i'd say it was me. I have more than I can take care of now,still have the Liddle order to contend with and I met half of our group $400 minimum for this shipment,MYSELF!!!

When sending me your wish lists please include the following info. Include the EPC #,hoya name and price.

your list should look like this:::

EPC 595 lacunosa "eskimo" $25
    EPC 195 sp. square leaf $15

Once I get everyone's order i'll submit it collectively as a single order. I will have to get the payment details worked out with Jack but i'm sure that it'll work just like with the Liddle orders where each person in the group will end up paying Jack directly via pay-pal. This portion of the payment will only be for the hoya cuttings. Once the cuttings arrive at my door, I sort them out and them mail them on to each of you. At that point I will ask that each of you send me the $$$ (usually $8.95 for 2-3 day priority mail)to cover the cost of me having to ship the hoyas from me to you. i'll let everyone know when and how to do that when the time comes.

David

• greedygh0st
    12 years ago

Thanks so much for hosting this, David. We've been waiting for this moment with baited breath all summer!

It is so crazy how much faster this group filled up than the one for Liddle. If Kelly hadn't dove on that double-order grenade for me, I probably would have missed the boat!

Trying to narrow down my list is sheer torture, though. Every time I eliminate something it feels like killing a puppy. T_T Just a few more puppies and I'll have it to you.

• dmichael619
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Patrick brought something to my attention that I need to clear up. I'm sorry if I misled anyone into believing that these are just unrooted hoya cuttings. They are not. These will arrive as rooted starter plants. I have been ordering from Epiphytica for a couple of years now and have never had a bad experience with Jack and have always been very pleased with the size and quality of the hoyas that I get from him.

I have now had experience ordering hoyas from 3 different Thai vendors 2 of which i've had issues with weather it be shipping problems or hoyas that were D.O.A. In both of those cases the vendor has corrected the issues. With Jack i've never experienced either of those problems.

He makes every effort to make sure his customers are satisfied with his plants. He packs and ships them well and in a timely manner.

david

• theplanthoarder
    12 years ago

I will send you a revised list since I only sent you the number and price. I was in a hurry because I had to get to work last night and I didn't want to miss out since I was never able to participate in a David Liddle order. I wish I could order 1 of every hoya on the list. :)

Michelle

• quinnfyre
    12 years ago

Wow, I didn't realize they were starter plants. I thought they were cuttings. This is even better!

• banannas
    12 years ago

Hey David,

After reading on another discussion that the email button wasn't working for some, I just wanted to check to see that you got my order last night?

Thanks,

Anne

• dmichael619
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Anne I did get it.

Yesterday I snail mailed Jack a copy of my import permit along with a sheet of U.S.D.A. issued shipping labels. I had a feeling after leaving the P.O. that the amount I was charged was not enough. I bought a roll of packing tape and the postage for the envelope to Thailand and it came to just under $4.00 the tape itself was $3.50. I knew from experience that even mailing envelopes abroad it does cost more than what I was charged. As it turns out the clerk didn't bother to look at the envelope to see where it was going and there wasn't enough postage on it so in today's mail,guess what I got back!!!! Now I have to take it back to the P.O. tomorrow for more postage and get it mailed out again. That could have been done today but I was lazy and just got around to getting out to check the mail and the P.O. closed a half hour ago!!

• banannas
    12 years ago

Does that mean that there is time to add another plant to my order? I keep coming back to EPC-475 sp.Gunung Gading and I was cursing myself for not adding it earlier.

• dmichael619
    Original Author
    12 years ago

there's still time to add more plants if anyone wishes to do so. I'm considering adding at least 2 more myself!!! Like I need more!

• banannas
    12 years ago

Don't tell me such things, you should have told me no!

• debbie_ny
    12 years ago

ok, i "need" a few of jack's hoyas...is it too late to join? david...i sent you a separate email....if it's too late it's ok.....just let me know!

Sponsored