Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wrynsmom

H. lacunosa 'Royal Flush'

wrynsmom
13 years ago

Okay, decided to hit the OTHER Lowe's (4 in a 15 mile radius) . . . and found 'ROYAL FLUSH'! And I grabbed it. I just couldn't help myself.

:)

Carolyn

Comments (15)

• puglvr1
    13 years ago

Carolyn, too funny...Mike and David were just saying on another thread how hoyas can be like a drug...I would say you're totally addicted and "you're hooked" big time,lol...Congrats on your great find!

Are you running out of room yet...or is that not an issue? You must have great Hoya Karma, you find all the good ones :o)
    Enjoy!

• Denise
    13 years ago

Carolyn,

I was at our Lowe's closest to work yesterday and saw 3 or 4 lacunosas, hoping one would be 'RS' - no such luck! Maybe I'll have to make the rounds to the others and see what I can find!!

Denise in Omaha

• moonwolf_gw
    13 years ago

Congrats Carolyn!

Lowe's and Home Depot are about half an hour/45 minutes away from me but I don't go there all that often. I, for one, am a "poor unfortunate soul" when it comes to hoyas and other flowering plants.

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• tigerdawn
    13 years ago

That's great! My Royal Flush started blooming yesterday!

• dmichael619
    13 years ago

Sadly, i'm still looking for one. All we seem to be getting here on the East coast is DS-70 and plenty of it!!!

I did find a single lacunosa at Lowe's last week but not RF.EA seems to be spreading that one far and wide!!!

• kellyknits
    13 years ago

There is one at a Lowe's near where I work....however, last I saw it, the pot was REALLY heavy, so I'm wondering if it's overwatered. I love my speckled one so much that I'm not really interested in this one.
    If anyone is interested I can check again on Monday- just send me an email in case I don't check the forum....feel like I was suppose to be watching for this one for several people and now I can't remember who....

Kelly

• dalette
    13 years ago

I WENT TO MY HOME DEPOT AND THEY HAD NEVER HEARD OF A HOYA PLANT.....LOL

• wrynsmom
    Original Author
    13 years ago

dalette, none of the box stores in my area know ANYTHING about plants . . . and they know even less about hoyas. Last year, I walked up to the MANAGER of the garden area and asked if he had any hoyas. He told me they never carried hoyas. I walked to the houseplants and found four different species. go figure!

Carolyn

• dalette
    13 years ago

Lol so typical...happens to me on things all the time..nice to know its not just me...

• pirate_girl
    13 years ago

It's that they don't know what Hoyas are.

I stopped at my local HD last night & found a large, full pot of Curtisii, & some small, no ID KQ types & 2 Balfour Aralias (another favorite of mine).

I know some of the staff there, some of whom had told me the store requires them to water twice a day, while even their workers know that's too much. Well last night, they told me they're now forced to water 3 times a day!!!

My plants were literally soaking wet. I took them home & unpotted & have them blotting on newspaper.

Haven't yet seen Royal Flush, I'll scoop it up when I do!

• Denise
    13 years ago

Isn't it awful, Karen? I understand that when it's very hot, they need to keep the outside plants watered because of the heat and the very light mix they're in. But the EA plants, which they keep indoors (at least here) have a mix that holds the water AND they're not out in the heat. I think someone came down with that imperitive for OUTSIDE plants, but in the translation, they took it to mean ALL plants. If I worked there, I'd be raising heck with someone! Like, "Hm, maybe there's a reason plants die fast in our care?! Maybe we should be trying to figure out what that reason is??"

Denise in Omaha

• AndrewH
    13 years ago

Well that would certainly explain why the plants at Home Depot always look so horrible.

I got a lacunosa 'Royal Flush' last month from Lowes; surprisingly it was on the half-price rack, though it was in perfect condition.

All they had today were a couple carnosas and something mislabeled as lacunosa.

• pirate_girl
    13 years ago

Beyond words Denise, I couldn't believe it when they said THREE times a day.

Yet, the plants all look really good at this HD, tho' I mostly go on a Friday & suspect I could be looking at newly arrived plants. I believe they get new stock 2-3 times a week, maybe including Fridays, who knows?

I DO feel a bit like I should open an office there or get free plants in exchange for all the counsel I give fellow shoppers for plants, especially the newbies. I dissuaded 2 people from buying Glufers (Jeff would be proud), explaining to them that the flowers were fake & glued on, they looked astounded!

• maidinmontana
    13 years ago

Hey Carolyn,

I went to our Lowes yesterday to get some paint and as always have to walk thru the plant section. They had a few linears and a RF lucanosa. you probably know how the story ends. . .lol :) I'll post pics so we can compare. . .

Maid~

• wrynsmom
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Very nice! My picture won't look as good as yours, I'm sure. I've already chopped mine up quite a bit . . .

Carolyn

Sponsored