Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
golden_ca_2000

A little different way to display

golden_ca_2000
12 years ago

I was in one of our local nurseries today - they have so much beautiful stuff and I saw this candle holder and I thought - that would be a great way of displaying some of my hanging down style plants... so I bought it and tried it out... I kinda like it...

I didnt want to clogg up all my windows with hanging basket styles so I thought this would be a good way to display in a window where the plant gets the side light... (please excuse my sort of sad looking curtsii but it is only a cutting)

Comments (24)

• Denise
    12 years ago

Golden,

You have great taste - all around! I love the candle holder, and my head would have gone to the same place. It's a gorgeous display for a plant! But I also love your wall color and scarf valances. You and I would be utterly simpatico in the decorating department - I love color and textures and patterns. Seems like most of the people I know are afraid of color and insist on "earth tones" and "neutral colors"... YUCK! Give me bold colors and richly patterned accents. If some people think it's too busy, too bad!

Denise in Omaha

• golden_ca_2000
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you Denise! Yes I am known for color!! - lol... When we first painted our kitchen I was alittle scared to go that dark plum but it looks nice with the white cabinets in there - at least I like it and thats all that matters :0)

Lately I have been trying to find different ideas on how and where to hang my hoyas... especially since I just put in an order with the Liddles - so I am always looking for new things... or ways to display my plants ... so I have a feeling I will be back to buy a few more of those candle holders - lol.... awwww jezzz Im obsessed - lol

• mdahms1979
    12 years ago

I like that candle holder as a display/pot holder. I think that my favorite way to grow hanging Hoyas is to have a wall mounted pot of some sort. I grow a bunch of my Hoyas using antique medical irrigators because they can be hung up on the wall easily and they also have a drain spout at the bottom. The irrigators can be quite expensive but every once and a while you can find a deal and I have even found a few at antique shops although most have come from France. Ikea also has some interesting and stylish wall mount kitchen utensil holders that work great for growing plants.

I like those Peony flowers you have in the vase. I got my mother a Peony Bowl of Beauty last year and it has similar flowers although her plant has not bloomed yet.

Mike

Here is a link that might be useful: Enamelware irrigator

• golden_ca_2000
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Actually Mike that is bowl of Beauty - and I also bought that exact plant for my mother.... she came over yesterday and brought me a FRESH strawberry pie and some flowers...
    I love these flowers because the fragrance is unbelievable!
    I bought one peony for her and one for me and hers was just loaded with flowers - mine had 3... (I have to move mine to a sunnier location)
    I think your irrigator is cool... I'll have to watch for one of those too!

• golden_ca_2000
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Ooops I forgot to post the photo I wanted to post
    There is ONE sarah bernhardt peony in the bunch..

• greedygh0st
    12 years ago

Irrigators are a bit easier to find around here, but they are as Mike says a bit on the expensive side. Of course, I find the price of enamelware ranges quite a bit so you can get some good deals or be taken by the nose depending on the seller. I just love this idea of yours, Mike, and am still hoping you'll post some pictures of how you have yours hanging.

Love the wall mounting and the plum color, golden. I'm partial to gray walls, but there's no point to them if you're not going to have huge splashes of color in some places. My landlord painted a whole section of my apartment orange and I adore it.

Peonies are my favorite flower - loving the pictures as I don't have any access to them this year and I missed them on my birthday. ^_^

• mdahms1979
    12 years ago

Peonies always remind me of my mother. We used to pick the flowers when we were kids and bring them in the house and although my mother loved them she always commented on the ants we dragged inside along with the flowers.

Ok here is a quick shot from today, my Hoyas in enamelware on plain beige walls. Can you tell I had not planned on staying in an apartment for long. LOL
    Don't mind the empty looking irrigator at the bottom left, that's Hoya retusa and I have resided to the fact that I could care less of it croaks. A word of caution with small plants, don't move them up to a roomy container too soon or they just might pout forever!
    If you see one you like and you would like a name to go with it just ask.

Mike

• greedygh0st
    12 years ago

That looks so nice. I love it! I'm so pleased/excited I finally have a visual of what's going on over there. I've never seen one of the colored ones in person, but it seems you've collected quite a few!

What's that top row center?

I wonder what happens to the ants that get carried off to somebody's house in a peony. Can they make it back to their hill or do they wander alone for the rest of their days kicking themselves for going after that nectar?

• golden_ca_2000
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thats a beautiful display Mike!!! I LOVE it!!

GG -You are funny! lol Well at my house - I take each and every peony and rinse them off with water so the ants go down the sink... so their last DAY is spent most definitely kicking themselves for going after that nectar!

• greedygh0st
    12 years ago

LOL Well, it's a cruel fate, but definitely better than becoming a lonely ant-ronin. ^_~

• mdahms1979
    12 years ago

GG the American medical irrigators were always quite plain and the most common were sold by Jones Metal Products of Ohio. Most of the American pieces were white with a black trim plus handle if there was one but you occasionally see one with blue trim. The French on the other hand went for style instead of just funcinality so there are coloured,multicoloured,splattered, crackled and even some with detail lines in colour or even gold. I will take a photo of a newer irrigator I got from France that is blue and white, it's easier to see without the plants in the photo.

The top row from Left to right.

Hoya coloura (an unidentified obscura relative)
    Hoya sp Haruku
    Hoya tsangii (the real one with yellow blooms syn. odetteae)
    Hoya Mathilde
    Dischidia superba on top of the bookshelf

I added notes to my Flickr photo so that you can see the names of each plant.

Mike

• wrynsmom
    12 years ago

That's fun! I've been using candle holders for two years, now. They do make it easier. :)

Mike, I LOVE the mugs!

Carolyn

• quinnfyre
    12 years ago

I like the candleholder on the plum walls. This is the first place I've lived in with color on the walls (gray-green). Most rentals go with white, and I grew up with white walls, so that is what I am used to. But I love brightly colored accents. I do think I'd like to paint an accent wall sometime, maybe once I own rather than rent. Love the peonies! They remind me of when I was a kid and we brought flowers to our teachers in elementary school. I too remember the ants marching up and down the stems.

Mike, the wall of hoyas in irrigators is lovely! Ah, tsangii/odetteae... One day, it will be mine. I like how that numm. is growing so thickly that you can only tell the irrigator is there because it is bright blue. Are they in pots in irrigators, or straight in the irrigators only?

• gennykins
    12 years ago

Love the candleholder - if you've got a climbing hoya, you can use the candleholder as a trellis!

Lisa

• mdahms1979
    12 years ago

Golden I can't help but think that those Peony flowers would make the perfect subject for a water colour painting or a drawing. They really are beautiful.

GG here is that photo of an American irrigator beside a French one. I love the colour blue so I have been trying to collect as many interesting ones as I can but when you figure in shipping from France it can get costly. The white irrigator is a recent find at a road side antique/yard sale. The irrigators are all 2L capacity and I fill the bottom 2" or so with foam packing peanuts so there is good drainage and then fill the rest with potting mix.

Mike

• suetran1
    12 years ago

I wish I can bring my hoya in the house in the summer.
    Can you beleave that I can not grow any thing in the house?
    Nice display Mike, good taste Golgen .
    sue

• greedygh0st
    12 years ago

Fascinating! Well that definitely explains why I only ever see the white and black ones. I do have one of the Jones ones, and another one from a different manufacturer, but also black and white. I have to admit they just sit on an end table with some other enamelware though lol.

Thought that was your tsangii. I ordered TG's odetteae this spring and it looks the same. It's sturdier than I thought it would be. My goodness, your sp. Haraku is just loving that spot, isn't it?

• ima_digger
    12 years ago

Mike, that is a beatiful display. I just love the wall of plants. My question is how are they attached to your wall? Is there a hook on them? I'll have to go to some garage sales. it's amazing what you find at them.
    Your plants look like they sure love their home. Very healthy looking hoya. Envy! Envy! Envy!

• greedygh0st
    12 years ago

The brilliant part of Mike's idea is that irrigators all have holes in them for hanging. You can see it in the blue one photographed, but on the others the hole is below the lip and thus hidden. Additionally, their backs are partially flat, so they can hang flush against the wall. They are designed to be hung, you just can't tell from the front view.

• ima_digger
    12 years ago

Thanks, GG. They look terrific just hanging out there. I think it's a great idea.

• mdahms1979
    12 years ago

That's right GG, just a simple nail is enough to support the irrigators. So are you tempted to fill yours with Hoyas and hang them up yet? If I had the space I would do an entire wall like this because it is very functional and it works in a decorating sense as well. If you invested in some well placed track lights or something similar it would be easy to accommodate quite a number of plants.

Mike

• kellyknits
    12 years ago

Mike,
    What kind of light does the wall of irrigators get?
    BTW - you are SUCH an enabler....I LOVE the irrigators!

Golden,
    The re-purposed candle holder is BEAUTIFUL!

Kelly

• mdahms1979
    12 years ago

Kelly those plants get shaded by an upper balcony in the summer but it is a south window. I have a single 23W compact fluorescent bulb to help even out the light after the morning sun turns to shade.

Mike

• greedygh0st
    12 years ago

I'm definitely tempted, Mike. I was boring nail holes into the candidate wall with my eyes last night. I'm thinking I need a couple more irrigators, though, so I can let archibolidana, onychoides, padangensis, and macgillivrayi all stream down the wall. They're kind of a gang that hangs out together.

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths
More Discussions