Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kitteebee

My teeny tiny hoya tour

Kittee-Bee Berns
11 years ago

Hello!

I thought I'd show you my wee hoya collection, small but well loved that is.

Pretty sure this is H. Carnosa, it started blooming last year. The cuttings are from my friend's giant and massively blooming plant.

I believe another H. Carnosa, which I started from cuttings last year. I may have put cuttings from two different plants together...

Here's a current close-up of the buds on my first hoya, taken from cuttings from a very big and prolific plant. I think this is also a carnosa, although the blooms are much lighter than the first picture.

My carnosas have only ever bloomed for me once per year, although I haven't fed them and they sit on a somewhat chilly/drafty window.

One of four baby H. Linearis my BFF's Father in Law gifted to us recently.

Comments (20)

• Kittee-Bee Berns
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for looking and for all the great info and advice.
    xo
    kittee

• goddess9
    11 years ago

Hi, Kittee. :)

Nice plants! Not all collections need be extremely exotic/rare. Seems like your plants are very happy.

• Kittee-Bee Berns
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you!
    They will be lots happier soon, since I'm finally getting around to taking better care of them.

• dutchplant
    11 years ago

Hello Kittee!

Beautiful plants and pictures!
    I love the colors!

:-)Ingrid

• Denise
    11 years ago

Hi Kittee,

Your Hoyas are very healthy and you're smart to grow your collection slowly, learning the needs of your plants as you go. When seeing so many beauties to choose from, it's tempting to jump in and get a huge collection going early, making it hard to learn what each needs to be happy. Nice plants! I especially like the super-closeup of the developing flowers.

Denise in Omaha

• mdahms1979
    11 years ago

Great photos and congratulations on the blooms. You know I bet most of us started out with a single Hoya carnosa. There is a reason why that species is the classis Hoya house plant, it's tough. I am sure as time goes by you will diversify your collection with more beautiful Hoyas. You're in the right place if you want to be enabled.

Mike

• greedygh0st
    11 years ago

Kittee, your photos are beautiful, and I just love that pot in the second picture. Thanks for taking us on a teeny tiny Hoya tour. I kind of wish everyone would do that, now. :X

• Kittee-Bee Berns
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks everyone! Someone on Craigs List responded to my call for hoyas/cuttings, but I can't decide what to do. She has two 13 year old, very large carnosas with lots of blooms she will sell me for $35 each. I'm not sure if I should go for it, or diversify. The cowboy seller on ebay has a few more interesting varieties I was going to purchase. I dunno! It'd sure be nice to have a mature plant with millions of blooms to gawk over...

xo
    kittee

• Klea
    11 years ago

The picture of the flower buds is just beautiful! Look at those promising fuzzy little 'soon to be' flowers! :)

And to start a collection with carnosa and linearis is really nice - two hoyas which is quite different from each other both in appearance and in care. I just love the way linearis looks when those long vines hang heavily from a basket.

• Kittee-Bee Berns
    Original Author
    11 years ago

OHHHH!
    I am super excited, my BFF and I found these small plants for sale about six months ago at a plant sale we go to annually. They were labeled "mini hoya curtail." We snapped them up of course, but since I googled and didn't see our plants under "hoya mini" I just assumed they were labeled wrong.

I am super excited, because I did some more research online tonight and I am pretty certain we actually found Hoya Krohniana Eskimo! I will post a pic tomorrow, if anyone wants to see...these were only $3! Ohhh, I can't wait for the little white flowers...

xo
    kittee

• mitzicos
    11 years ago

Kitee,

I want to see the picture..... if you got a Eskimo you'll be very glad with it!

Mitzi

• greedygh0st
    11 years ago

The label makes me wonder if they meant H. curtisii. Check that one out, too. In that case, the leaves would be very small and rough, like a cat's tongue.

• mdahms1979
    11 years ago

I agree with GG, Hoya krohniana 'Eskimo' would not be a Hoya that you would stumble upon at a plant sale. This Hoya is still quite rare in collections unless you import it from Thailand. Still Hoya curtisii is a great little plant and well worth growing.

Mike

• Kittee-Bee Berns
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ah! Y'all are correct, it is a small curtisii, they just misspelled it on the tag, but they sure do look similar to the krohniana 'eskimo.' It hasn't done much in six months, so I am going to repot it with lava rocks and new dirt and find it a better spot in the house. I'll post a pic when I can.

Thanks so much!
    xo
    kittee

• greedygh0st
    11 years ago

They really do look alike, when going off pictures online. I never really thought about it before, because they aren't plants you would confuse in person. This was a fun case of mistaken identity. :)

It's not really unusual for a Hoya to not do anything for 6 months or a year, right after it's been purchased and moved to a new home. It just takes some of them a while to acclimate and once they have, they really get going. If your curtisii is in a bad spot, of course you could move it to better light. And of course it won't hurt it to repot it if you prefer a different medium, but you may end up setting back its adjustment period again. Just a thought. Some Hoyas are more/less fussy about being disrupted. I do think it took my curtisii about a year to settle in with me before it started growing, but after that it was really reliable.

• Kittee-Bee Berns
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks GG. I made a little spot for it in a sunny window where my carnosas hang out. I did some reading today and lots of sites say that h. curtisii doesn't like wet feed and can be hard to grow. Mine is a really small cutting in a 4" pot, but I am thinking I should fill the bottom with lava rocks to help keep the roots from sitting in moisture. Anyway, I really appreciate your advice. I'll leave it in the new window for a while and see if anything happens.

xo
    kittee

• greedygh0st
    11 years ago

Intolerance of "wet feet" is a pretty universal Hoya characteristic. That's why we grow them in airy fast draining medium. I don't think that curtisii is any more fussy about this than the next Hoya.

The thing about labeling Hoyas as difficult is that in many cases it's a very subjective observation. Curtisii was one of my first Hoyas and I grew it for several years in AV mix, treated it like a Gesneriad, and never saw any drama.

So, I guess what I'm saying is, it's great you're optimizing your setup, but don't read too much into what any one person says about a Hoya's difficulty.

Just out of curiosity, what are you growing it in right now?

• Kittee-Bee Berns
    Original Author
    11 years ago

That's great info. When I bought it, it was in a very small pot with a lot of perlite, and I just put it in regular ol' "potting soil." All of my hoyas are like this, but one in particular does not drain well, so i just went out and purchased a bag of perlite to loosen it up.

• alavoneluvhoya
    11 years ago

Love the pics! I wonder why many of us had carnosa's first in our collections? So common but soooo classic!

• Kittee-Bee Berns
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here is the H. Curtisii in it's new location.
    xo
    kittee

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz