Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amber_m_gw

need care advise for my new hoya types

amber_m
11 years ago

ok so all i have to say is... WOW! a few people offered to send me cuttings of their hoyas, and i got a bizzilion more than i ever expected... the only problem now is that i dont know that much about each kind and info online seems kind of lacking, so i figured that i would post on here and see if i can get some info for all the different kinds i recieved. preferably how much sun they like, how wet or dry they like it and if they prefer to climb or if they can be in a hanging basket (even if while in a hanging basket they might climb and wrap around the hanger)... ok so here we go...

H. cv. iris marie

h. lacunosa

h. lacunosa 'ruby sue'

h. wayetii

h. fungii

h. publicalyx (1 unknown and 1 all green)

h. pubicalyx (pink silver, red buttons and black dragon)

h. cagayanensis

h. rotundiflora

h. memoria

h. ds-70 (unknown)

h. ds-70 green

h. ds-70 purple

h. polyneura

h. bella

h. cumingiana

h. obscura

h. micrantha

h. cv. minibelle

h. sipitangensis

h. myrmecopa

h. cv. mathilda

h. diptera

h. pallida

h. merrillii

h. nummularioides

h. australis ssp. brookfield

h. aldrichii

h. heushkeliama 'yellow'

h. pentaphlabia

h. subcalva

h. macrophylla 'varegata'

h. acuta 'varegata'

h. oreogena IML-1073

h. fitchii

sorry if the spelling is off on any of them, i copied them down from the tags attached to the cuttings... would you believe it if i told you that all of that was from only 3 people!!! only one of those people told me what they were planning on sending, the other two kept it a surprise and i must tell you that i was damn surprised then i opened up my packages with all that inside!!!

any help and info anyone can give me would be very helpful, expecially if they have to be on a trellis or if they could be in a basket.

thank you!!!

Comments (20)

• barbmock
    11 years ago

Wow! Amber, you hit the jackpot. I am very excited for you to have all these plants to work with. you must have rows and rows of pots to watch. I don't have any advice, but I will be reading everything so I can learn too.
    Barb

• amber_m
    Original Author
    11 years ago

yea i definatly hit the jackpot! ill post pics tomorrow of how i have them all set up, ive made my own mini greenhouses for them all. i even have two cuttings that are blooming right now!!! i have a lacunose ruby sue and a pubicalyx red buttons that are both blooming!!!

heres some pics!!!

pubicalyx red buttons

{{gwi:960764}}

Source: Uploaded by user via Amber on Pinterest

{{gwi:960766}}

lacunosa ruby sue

{{gwi:960767}}

sorry about the focus on that last one, all i have is my phone camera, which has a cracked lense

i just found some pics of one of the homemade greenhouse...

{{gwi:960768}}

{{gwi:960770}}

{{gwi:960772}}

these pics were taken before i recieved the motherload in the mail... ill have to take some pics tomorrow of the haul.

• pirate_girl
    11 years ago

Holy smokes you hit the Jackpot. I didn't know people had such depth to their collection or such cuttings to share. I must admit to being greeeeeeen at the variety of all that. Amazing!!! And just from three people, you must be one lucky lady!

Nice pix & very interesting greenhouse set up.

• mdahms1979
    11 years ago

Wow Amber you are gonna have your hands full. I hope you have lots of sunny windows.

I would like to suggest that you use some of the better sites such as Hoyor.net where you can look up care info on many different species. The tabs above each species write-up include text, care, details, and facts. There is usually at least basic care info available.

Plants also give hints to their requirements. Species that have adapted to periods of dryness often have foliage that is quite succulent. Hoya kerrii, macrophylla, or other species with thick succulent leaves like to dry out a bit between watering and this is most important during the winter. In contrast to the succulent species there are many Hoyas that have thin leaves that are unable to withstand periods of dryness. Plants like Hoya Iris Marie prefer to remain moist and prolonged dryness can cause leaf drop or death. The plants that fall somewhere in between, plants like Hoya pubicalyx or Hoya carnosa can dry a little between watering and even prefer this but they are not species that require reduced watering during the winter. Most Hoyas are quite tough but it is important that you know which ones are more delicate and hopefully this will help you identify them.

I pot most cuttings into 4" pots and they will stay in that size pot for at least a year or two. Once growth starts you will be able to decide how you would like to grow most Hoyas. Some naturally grow as hanging or scrambling plants and I believe they look look best if grown this way. Many larger Hoyas are grown on a trellis of some sort because they generally take up less space this way, still many need to be secured to the trellis and do not climb on their own.

Good job on the mini greenhouse as this type of treatment really speeds rooting and gets cuttings off to a good start.

Mike

Here is a link that might be useful: Hoyor.net

• moonwolf_gw
    11 years ago

Amber, congrats on all of your plants and the bonus of the Red Buttons and Ruby Sue blooms! Have you gotten the chance to smell them yet? To me, Red Buttons smells like a Tootsie Roll (mine did anyway when it bloomed) and lacunosa is heavily perfumed, some love it, others can't stand it because it's so strong. Congrats again!

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• Aggie2
    11 years ago

Congrats Amber, hope they will root for you soon! You are lucky, it took me a year to collect 2/3 of what you got in couple of weeks! :o)

Aggie

• amber_m
    Original Author
    11 years ago

i thought i would post some new pics of how i have my cuttings set up... i do have a chunk of them in a yellow container so it doesent have clear sides so they are quite shaded, but ive been rotating them with ones in the clear one so hopefully everything works out okay, also ive been taking the plastic off the top of the yellow one and setting it in bright light (not direct sun) and misting them while the plastic is off so they stay humid and moist...

{{gwi:960773}}

{{gwi:960775}}

{{gwi:960776}}

{{gwi:960777}}

• alavoneluvhoya
    11 years ago

I am jealous! I have one gal I am going to trade with....I hope more to follow! I grow my cuttings in a west window sill. They like it there and I mist them everyday to keep medium a good moist level I do not cover with plastic but I bet I should! Let me know how your green houses work out for you! Maybe when yours get big you can offer me some cuttings lol!

• amber_m
    Original Author
    11 years ago

i definatly will be sending you cuttings when they are big enough! i might be giving you a call within the next few days so we can chat. depends on my schedule.

• kayjones
    11 years ago

How do I get Hoya cuttings from all these generous people?

• Denise
    11 years ago

Amber,

There are all kinds of great sites for doing research on your new Hoyas. I have about 20 sites bookmarked that I peruse whenever I'm considering a new Hoya. Asking how others grow specific species is kind of a crap-shot. First of all, we all have completely different growing conditions, from where we're located, which affects light, heat, humidity, to how we keep our homes. I keep mine cool - very cool, both summer and winter, whereas some people keep their homes very warm. And there's your soil and watering habits. So it's important to research the general preferences of specific species.

Best of luck with your new Hoyas!

Denise in Omaha

• amber_m
    Original Author
    11 years ago

lol so ive been checking in on some of my cuttings... most have at least root nubbies starting, and some have some small roots... but a few have NOTHING!!! and most of the ones that have nothing yet are the regular ones that i really wanted, the plain green carnosa and carnosa chelsea.... also my pubicalyx black dragon has no sigh of rooting... ive still got hope though...

• greedygh0st
    11 years ago

Do you mean you pulled them out of the soil and looked?

Usually this time of year they root pretty fast, but it's not particularly strange for them to take a month either. I checked on a cutting I received on May 15th, last weekend, and all it had was one little 1/4" root. Whereas others in its cohort have pretty well developed systems.

As long as the leaves and vine are looking healthy, there's nothing to fret about. Carnosa and the Black Dragon both have succulent foliage and should be fine. It's more of a concern with the thin leafed species, which usually need to root pretty quickly to survive.

• amber_m
    Original Author
    11 years ago

yea i pulled them out and looked... i very carefully removed the plant and soil from the little drinking cups i have them in so that i could carefully remove the soil in case there were roots... i just did this with a bunch of them because im trying to keep some sort of log... i recieved almost all of them on the 4th and they were potted up the same day, im so sick over my black dragon though because im in LOVE with its leaves!!!! if it doesent root than the first time i have money (probably birthday time in dec.) im gonna be buying one or going on the waiting list for one... depending if Joni has any available at that time... ill probably put in a order for some other pubicalyxs too because i feel like i gotta have em all, lol. i have pubicalyx 'red buttons' and 'pink silver' that was grown from seed... and if my black dragon makes it than i have that one too... i really want pubicalyx 'hawaiian purple', pubicalyx 'bright one' and i think i want a 'pink silver' that wasnt started from seed just so i can see if there are any differences... and i know there are other pubicalyxs out there calling my name... lol

• mitzicos
    11 years ago

Hi Amber,

We're a very luck person!!!!

How do I get Hoya cuttings from all these generous people? LOL, just kiding!

Our lottery is going to have a very nice amount of money to be distributed to the winner, can you please tell 6 numbers from 00 to 60????? It is for tomorrow ok???? LOL, maybe with your numbers I can win the prize!

Tks

Mitzi

• amber_m
    Original Author
    11 years ago

haha lol ok ill try... dont blame me if its a looser tho... 12, 13, 24, 26, 38, 49... lol good luck!!!

• mitzicos
    11 years ago

Thank you Amber, if I win I'll send you a bunch of hoyas cuts from Thailand ok???? Prepare your best wish list!!!!!

LOL

Mitzi

• pirate_girl
    11 years ago

Amber,

Hoyas take a bit of time to root, a week is nothing.

May I suggest you pls. not take them out to look. You probably don't know this, but by doing so, one breaks any of the tiny, fine little root hairs one's trying to encourage to grow in the first place. While not a disaster, it may actually slow down the rooting a bit as they'd then have to re-grow the new little root hairs that were just broken off.

While it may sound dull & boring, the surest indicator that something has rooted is the appearance of new growth, (even if tiny).

• amber_m
    Original Author
    11 years ago

ur right, im sorry... i just looked at the calender and realized that it is just a little over a week... man it sure feels like a year though, haha... i wont mess with them again...

• mdahms1979
    11 years ago

Also if you watch the stems that are above soil level you will see roots forming there at the same time as the roots you can't see. If the humidity is high enough these air roots can become several inches long. I have a photo on my Flickr that shows a Hoya cutting that actually rooted to the glass of the rooting tank.
    I think two weeks is when roots really start to grow and I usually keep my cuttings in the rooting tank for three to four weeks. Sometimes if I have the space I keep the cuttings in the tank until they put out new vines and then I slolwy open top more each day, misting every so often to get the plants ready to come out int the open.

Mike

Sponsored
Prime Custom Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars43 Reviews
DC Metro's Award Winning Custom Design, Build, and Remodeling Company