Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dmichael619

June Buds and Blooms Part II

dmichael619
12 years ago

I have some fresh new "Eye Candy" to share!!!!

H. amoena

H. sp. Ban Ngong Ngoy

H. neocaledonica

H. sp. Kochang Island

H. sp. Thai #3--probably just another clone of hoya rigida in my opinion as it looks like it in every way!

And I saved the best for last. This is one of my EPC hoyas from Epiphytica nursery in Thailand. This is it's very first time blooming and I LOVE it. Its' EPC 184 (sp. Northeast of Thailand (ANJ-Tu)

Comments (28)

• greedygh0st
    12 years ago

Oh wow!!! That EPC 184 (sp. Northeast of Thailand (ANJ-Tu) is so darling. I don't even know how to describe it. Very soft. :)

sp. Kochang Island is very beautiful, too. I love all the melty shades of buttery yellow.

Not to mention the fact that your photo of sp. Ban Ngong Ngoy should go on an advertisement for the plant. Look at that perfect globe! It's like something a princess would play with in a fairy tale.

• quinnfyre
    12 years ago

EPC 184 is stunning! If I hadn't already made my list I would be very tempted to get this one too. And sp. Ban Ngong Ngoy has such a wonderful color. It is always so fun to see your hoya bloom pics.

• mdahms1979
    12 years ago

Wow another group of gorgeous Hoya flowers.

I have to agree that those Hoya sp Ban Ngong Ngoy blooms are impressive. The intensity of the colour makes those blooms really stand out.

Hoya sp Kochang Island is gorgeous and just look at those leaves.

If I were to decide on an ID for the last one I would say Hoya graveolens. There are several different varieties of graveolens that have been collected but the flowers are all the same, well other than the purple spotted one! LOL
    Do the blooms have an unpleasant scent like Hoya graveolens is said to have?

Mike

• golden_ca_2000
    12 years ago

As always BEAUTIFUL shots!
    Does the H. sp. Ban Ngong Ngoy have a nice scent?
    Your EPC 184 is stunning!!!

• lightning96
    12 years ago

wonderful pics! I'm partial to the sp. Ban Ngon Ngoy. Wow!

• dmichael619
    Original Author
    12 years ago

GG, i'm sort of partial to those buttery yellow flowers as well!!!

Quinn, I may have enough of the EPC 184 of my own to share!!!

Mike the leaves on Kochang Island are very nice. they're medium in size,covered in those nice white splotches and a bit on the firm side when mature.

I believe that the EPC 184 is very closely related to hoya graveolens.The leaves are very dark green,and hard. This plant also tends to send out very long bare vines like graveolens which later fill in with leaves. The leaves are also slightly longer than those of my H. graveolens. I didn't think to smell them so if they are still open tomorrow i'll get back to you on how they smell Mike. My graveolens has had peduncles on it for about 2 years now and not a flower to this day to speak of!!!

• puglvr1
    12 years ago

Happy Birthday David!! I hope you have a wonderful birthday! Have a great big piece of Cake for me!

BTW, Gorgeous blooms...ALL of them are so beautiful! Enjoyed the pictures...Nice birthday gift from your hoyas.

• dmichael619
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Pug.

Don't have much planned for the day except going to the nursing home to visit my grandma. It's also my dad's B-day today as well

• kellyknits
    12 years ago

Happy Birthday!

Now stop posting pictures of EPC's since our lists are completed! Not fair! Do you know how difficult it was to narrow down my order? Just kidding- except that last part...Thanks for mentioning you enough to share and, Mike, thanks for mentioning it looks like graveleons! Makes me feel less like I need to add it NOW!

So, David, did we surpass the $400 limit for the Epi order? Ha ha ha

Kelly

• moonwolf_gw
    12 years ago

Happy Birthday to you and your dad, David! Awesome pictures as always! LOVE that sp. Ban Ngong Noy! Hope your birthday is fun!

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• ima_digger
    12 years ago

Again beautiful 'eye candy' from you. I just love all your pictures. I keep adding to my list but have to plant a money tree in the yard first. LOL
    A very Happy Birthday to you, and birthday wishes to your Dad too!

• dmichael619
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks guys and gals for the B-day wishes. Didn't so much other than go to the movies,which I didn't get to see the very end of due to a thunderstorm knocking out the power!!! But hey we desperately needed that rain!!!

Kelly, we met the $400 and then some. I think Jack is going to be VERY pleased with this order!!!

david

• quinnfyre
    12 years ago

Happy Birthday David!

Yes, rain makes me happy too. It means my outside plants get watered well. It is hard to water giant pots with a 1 gal watering can!

• mdahms1979
    12 years ago

Happy Birthday David! :)

Mike

• dmichael619
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I have some new hoya flowers that are open today to share with you guys!!!

This first one is H.lamingtoniae. I've only been waiting about 4 years or so for it to bloom!!!!

H. kanyakumariana

H. aff. mindorensis this first umbel is fully open

and this umbel on the same plant, which appears to be a different color is just starting to open. Notice everything about this one compared to the one above is a different color?? The corolla lobes on this one are more yellow and the corona is more purple compared to red corolla lobes and pinkish corona on the top photo. Remember this is all on a single plant growing on a single root ball!

• geosdee
    12 years ago

Ok David, now I need that mindorensis.

Dee

• banannas
    12 years ago

wow they are really different. I think I like the second one better but they are both beautiful.

Which one were you expecting?

• dmichael619
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Anne,

I never really know what to expect with this plant as at times the flowers have actually been red.

I think this hoya should be named

H. mindornesis cv. Chameleon

• suetran1
    12 years ago

Happy birthday David.
    I really enjoy to see your hoyas. What a collection!!
    sue

• mel_10
    12 years ago

Amazing flowers David! I love the mindorensis!! H. kanyakumariana is super cute. I adore the fuzziness of it. Just beautiful!

Mel

• greedygh0st
    12 years ago

YAY!!! aff. mindorensis! I am always looking forward to photos of this one.

• mairzy_dotes
    12 years ago

Great growing and great pictures, as always, David.
    I finally had my sp Ban Ngong Ngoy bloom open for the first time today. Yeah! I must say, though that to ME...it looks just like pubicalyx "Bright One". Of course I am no expert by ANY means, and have never dissected these things or looked under a microscope at any of them. Just saying that to these old eyes, it looks the same. I have a "Bright One" blooming also now so even carried the plant out to the front to compare flowers side by side & they still looked the same. Even the leaves look alike. I haven't had a chance to get any pictures, yet, but will try to get some tomorrow to show. However, my pics are never as clear or "micro shot" so well like yours, but maybe we can see what I am saying anyway.

• mitzicos
    12 years ago

WOW David, such beautiful pictures.... thanks for sharing!

Mitzi

• mdahms1979
    12 years ago

Mairzy dotes Hoya pubicalyx is endemic to the Philippines while Hoya sp. Ban Ngong Ngoy is from Thailand. You are right that they are closely related but they are most likely not the same species.
    So does anyone know just where Ban Ngong Ngoy is? I can't find any info at all.

Mike

• kukka
    12 years ago

Mike, maybe this is the place?

Here is a link that might be useful: map

• mdahms1979
    12 years ago

Kukka I think you're right! Thanks for posting that link.
    I wonder how similar this region of Laos is to Northern Thailand's dry seasonal climate? Time to do some climate research.

Mike

• tammypie
    12 years ago

Mike, I'm jealous!

• cpawl
    12 years ago

Mike, I can tell you from experience that northern Thailand is very dry during the dry season. what I mean is there is very little humidity say compared to Bangkok or the south.I would think Laos tempt and humidity would be close but I have not been to Laos personally.

Cindy

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm