Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jlt37869

Kerrii Leaf

jlt37869
13 years ago

I've only had this plant for a couple of months and it's my first Kerrii. Of course, I wanted a Kerrii for its leaves. So when the 1st leaf that sprouted for me (on the bottom, left) was bulky, dark (no var.), and totally deformed, I was a bit discouraged. But I hid my dismay and continued to chat him up. And look!! He rewarded me with the most spectacular (2nd) leaf!! It's HUGE (and feels like velvet). Another (3rd) leaf, the white one poking out in the back, is fast on it's way and there are several other "nubs" of new growth. I know the rvs. var. is not the most popular hoya, but I'm so glad I added him to my family (thank you, Denise). He's a sweetie!! :)

Jennifer

Comments (17)

• puglvr1
    13 years ago

Its BEAUTIFUL(and huge) Jennifer and what a perfect heart shape it is! I have the regular Kerri and once in a while I do get those deformed leaves also, not sure what causes it. Thanks for sharing and enjoy your perfect hoya leaf.

• Denise
    13 years ago

Oo-la-la, Jennifer! I'm so glad to see it's showing variegation for you - it's a beauty! My standard kerrii has over 35 budding peduncles, the first of which are starting to open now. I'll have to put newspapers down under them on that end of my GH to avoid all the drippy sap cleanup... And I have to be careful to avoid getting the sticky sap in my hair when watering in the vicinity. But it's worth the trouble, for sure! =)

Denise in Omaha

• pirate_girl
    13 years ago

That leaf is spectacular!

Gee, maybe I should show this pic to my reverse varieg Kerrii (gift cutting from a disabled friend for my pruning back some of his plants several yrs ago, as he can't do that himself anymore).

My cutting is 2 or 3 yrs. old (am at office, plant's at Home), was 1 node w/ 2 leaves when given me. I think it's 4 or 5 leaves now, w/ the most subtle variegation (can barely see it).

Maybe that strong light makes its variegation grow more prominently??

Anyway, VERY nice plant, looks quite happy -- enjoy!

• jlt37869
    Original Author
    13 years ago

PG - my deck faces north, so he gets dawn and dusk direct sun (an hour or two in the AM and another hour or so in the evening). I was thrilled when that leaf popped out! With its shape, color, and size ,,, I felt like I hit the trifecta.

Denise - your standard sounds stunning ,,, maybe you'll post some photos for us (hint, hint, hint). But as far as all your gallons of drippy, sticky sap ,,, you'll get no sympathy from me. Here I am jumping up and down over a silly leaf. If I had 35 buds, I'd probably pee my pants. :)

Pug - is yours outside? Mine is and apparently he likes the heat/humidity. I did bring my brevialata back in the house (he was wilting) and I might bring my diptera back in too. I'm so looking forward to the end of this heat wave!

• Denise
    13 years ago

Jennifer,

I had to check on my reverse var. kerrii and, sure enough, it has a set of new leaves (which actually show some variegation, too) and a budding peduncle. Mine, too, is on my north back deck, and seems happy as can be. For anyone interested, I've still got two plants left in this pot that I plan to get rid of by summer's end. (The one that's budding and a second...) With 4 other clones of kerrii (standard, hairy, veined, and reg. variegated), it's not worth keeping a rev. variegated when it loses its variegation in the winter months... I'd be happy to trade for cuttings...

Denise in Omaha

• wrynsmom
    13 years ago

Oh, Denise, me-me-me!!!!! Please? ;)

Carolyn

• tigerdawn
    13 years ago

Ooo! That's on my want list! I'm making a new list of all my plants this weekend. Hopefully you'll want something I have.

• puglvr1
    13 years ago

Jennifer, lol(what you said) yes, mine grows outside 350 days a year. I just recently placed it under some date palm trees to get a little more sun, but not direct sun. Mine is just the plain green one.

Wow Denise! Congrats on your 35 peduncles...amazing! I'm still waiting for one on my small plant,lol...

• mdahms1979
    13 years ago

I love how that new leaf is standing proud and tall, it's really showing off. Congrats on the beautiful new growth.

Mike

• quinnfyre
    13 years ago

My variegated obovata looks very similar, except it is round instead of heart shaped. I would love to have one of these, if I had any more room for kerriis. My one and only kerrii has the look of one that will eventually take over my window. Not there yet, but in the last cpl months, it seems to have shot out an 8 in vine. Whoa.

Congrats on your new growth!

• jlt37869
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Denise - how old is your Kerrii? It looks like he owns the place ,,, and so happy, too! I'm beginning to think that Kerrii has a sense of humor. Is it possible that he purposely drops beads of sap on you and then sits back and snickers?!?!

Those yellow blooms are gorgeous. I'd love to hang out at your place and check out all your plants ,,, you have such a green thumb!

Thanks for sharing.

Jennifer

P.S. I take it from your post, that it's likely my rvs var will revert to green this winter. You're such a kill joy!! No, I'm just kidding, thanks for the head's up. So in the meantime, I'll be sure to enjoy every second of his variegation ,,, maybe I'll even take a few more photos of him (lol).

• jlt37869
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Mike - he *was* standing tall and proud. That leaf started to flop under his own weight. So I put him in traction with bamboo skewers and twine, so he'd "harden" in a picture perfect pose. Well, that 3rd leaf is now also rather large (and heavy) and causing the entire plant to list to the left. So he's pretty much doing whatever he wants. Let's just say, when people talk about Kerrii being difficult to "train", this newbie now gets it!

Quinn - I like obovata, too (it's on my wish list). No Kerrii vines or peduncles for me yet, just 3 leaves (hahaha). So mine is not taking anything over just yet. Good luck with yours!! :)

• mdahms1979
    13 years ago

My kerrii is just starting another flush of growth so I had better start thinking about how I want to grow it long term. I may just trellis it like the others but something tells me that it might not want to cooperate.

Denise that Opuntia is fantastic. I have been trying to expand my collection recently and four species so far and some seeds in the way. I have an orabge flowered form of Opuntia humifusa that I can't wait to flower but it seems that that will be a ways off. I have only had my oldest plants a few years and never seen any blooms.

Mike

• quinnfyre
    13 years ago

I am happy to see your opuntia, Denise. Mine didn't come back after this winter. Or at least, I don't think it will. It doesn't look completely dead, but it hasn't done a thing, or rehydrated fully, and it's been warm and sunny for a while now. I think that means it's done for.

I forgot to mention that I LOVE the way new kerrii leaves feel. That was a pleasant surprise. I didn't really think I'd ever choose to get a kerrii, but I'm glad one found its way to me. Hooray for 'surprise me' trades!

Jennifer, supposedly obovata is a fast grower. If that happens to be the case, I can send some your way. Then you will have a matching set of obovata and kerrii! It's still a cutting right now, but it has definitely rooted and has started some new growth. We'll see how it goes.

• Denise
    13 years ago

Jennifer, I have a feeling you'll have better luck with keeping the varieagation than I do. A 3 zone difference should mean your winter sun is much stronger than ours. And if you can keep it in a south window, I'm betting it will remain variegated for you. And as for the age of my standard kerrii, I'd guess I've had it for at least 15 years - she's an old gal and OMG, her oldest stems must be close to 1/2" thick! I love the succulent heart-shaped leaves on her...

Mike, I'd love to see an orange colored Opuntia flower. I especially love the yellow ones with red centers, but the yellows seem to bloom most profusely. I planted one a few years ago that's supposedly white, though it hasn't bloomed for me yet. The plants in my outside landscape consist of lots of succulents like Sedums, etc., because I like a hassle free garden, and succulents are my thing. If there were winter hardy Hoyas... well, I'd be livin' in a jungle! Haha!

Denise in Omaha

• mdahms1979
    13 years ago

Denise the seeds were collected in the Tennessee Cedar Glades from a Opuntia humifusa plant that had flowers more orange than the usual yellowish orange that is seen in the area.
    My plants of that Opuntia are still just little seedlings but the link shows a common colour form from the area.

Mike

Here is a link that might be useful: Cedar Glades

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting