Return to the Hoya Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hoya square leaf - Hoya rotundifolia

Posted by suetran1 7NC (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 25, 12 at 20:55

Another one, first time flower, it is really cute..
Thanks for looking
sue

Hoya square leaf,(Hoya rotundifolia)
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hoya square leaf - Hoya rotundifolia

Hi Sue. It's truly adorable, in EVERY stage! Can't wait for mine to bloom, now.

Denise in Omaha

o

i have a cutting of this rooting right now, soooo excited now for it to grow up and bloom for me... love it! that top picture makes me think of yogurt covered raisins! all of them are so adorable.

o

Sue,

How long the cut takes to flower? Just an average of course. I've been collecting hoyas for 3 years and only one bloom to me.

Thanks for sharing such nice pictures.

Mitzi

o

Congratulations Sue! I just love Hoya flower photos where the nectar forms those little reflective beads.

Mike

o

Thanks Denise, Amber,
Mitzi
This cutting is about 3 years old, very easy to grow. Now have a lot of buds, less leaves than anyone.
I only use nutricote or osmocote slow-release, 1 spoon on top, in the summer and blooming buster Peter 1/week.
I grow all my hoyas with orchids outside in the summer, under shade, and water abundance.
sue

o

This one always looks like an alien plant to me. xD I agree with Denise that all the stages are equally beautiful. I actually have a Columnea orientandina whose adorable pink berries remind me of those buds.

o

Hiya Sue,

Welcome back & thanks for the superb pix (as usual). This is a pretty cool looking set of blooms.

Am I the only one bothered by this plant's name?

If the plant has square leaves, why is it named rotundifolia (which off the Latin means round leafed)? Talk about confusing & contradictory.

o

I believe that was a typo above. The plant is called rotundiflora. I think that will make you happier. :P

Although apparently rotundifolia was a published name, syn. for H. motoskei.

o

Thanks GG, that DOES make lots more sense, & yes, I do feel better ;>). Thx!

o

Thanks you for the link GG.
Since I saw picture of this flower, I was so exiting to be able to touch and see it in really world.
Thanks you for looking everyone...
sue

o

Congrats, Sue!

Your pictures reenforce the reason why it's on my wish list! Those flowers are just so darned cute! LOL

Brad AKA Moonwolf

o

Can I find this species in Australia? Do you have any idea?

o

Perhaps, you'll have to look.

Just a thought, but have you tried searching for "Nurseries in Australia which sell ..."?

o

Check with Iris Marie Liddle. If it's not listed in the catalog I would suggest emailing and asking for it.

Mike

Here is a link that might be useful: Liddle Hoyas 2012

o

It's not listed in the catalog but I asked... Finger crossed :)

I am new in Australian hoya market... I don't know any nursery other than Liddle... And I guess it is impossible to get from overseas into the Australia, although the hoya heavens are so close...

Hope Liddle nursery has this...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hoya Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here