Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pinkycat_gw

New to the forum

pinkycat
9 years ago

I'm new to the forum and I'm sorry if this is stupid question. I have one small rope hoya. In all the pictures I see the hoyas are so full with multiple "ropes". Do I need to plant more to get the same effect or will mine branch off into other "ropes"?

Comments (4)

• greedygh0st
    9 years ago

Hey there, pinky. Your question isn't dumb and it's been asked before. Most Hoyas focus more on length than branching, and compacta is one with particularly linear growth.

Although it is capable of branching, people report it's usually slow to do so, and it could very well grow for a decade without branching. The fact that it's such a slow compact grower probably makes the wait seem even longer.

If you want a bushy plant sooner you have two options. You can take cuttings and grow multiple starts in the same pot, or you can loop the single vine strategically. In a hanging pot, you can loop it around the pot, or you can grow it around a hoop like a wreath, which is a bit unusual for compacta, but it's been done.

• Denise
    9 years ago

Welcome to the Hoya forum, Pinkycat! Never, ever think a question is stupid. We're a friendly group who love to enable up-and-coming addicts!! LOL!

Your variegated Hindu Rope will be a slow grower. Variegates are traditionally slow, and Hindu rope, even the green form, doesn't grow real fast. Just appreciate it as it grows, when it gets long enough, you can take a cutting and put it back in the mother pot when it roots. And on and on until you have a big ol' plant. Feed it with a quality plant food (Ferti-lome is a good one) and it will reward you with decent growth. Impatience is natural when it comes to growing Hoyas, but the rewards of waiting for the "big plant" or the flowers is well worth it!

Denise in Omaha

• pinkycat
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Denise and Greedyghost. I'll be looking forward to watching it grow.
    You both said this was a slow grower. Which hoyas grow more quickly?

• greedygh0st
    9 years ago

My first thoughts are: tannaensis, Iris Marie, chlorantha, obscura, publicalyx, bhutanica, australis ssp. tenuipes, buotii, DS-70, engleriana, lanceolata bella, heuschkeliana

Growing quickly doesn't always equal blooming quickly. If you want some good starter plants that are strong growers and bloomers, my front-runners would be:

publicalyx
    obscura
    heuschkeliana
    DS-70
    lanceolata bella*
    *if you are in the north - if you live somewhere really hot bella can be more challenging

That's a starter collection anyone could love.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!
More Discussions