Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cpawl

My cuttings from Ted

cpawl
13 years ago

I was part of a group order from Ted and they arrived today.I only got four this time.I wanted to test the water for my first order.I have had some pretty bad out comes this year.

The leaves look yellow but they are not.They do have a bit of red.

H.parviflora

My H.yellow heuscheliana is blooming for the first time.

Not a hoya but a new member to our family.Her name is chuckie.

Thanks for looking,Cindy

Comments (19)

• geosdee
    13 years ago

LOL, I can see why. So cute.

Like your cuttings to by the way.

Dee

• wrynsmom
    13 years ago

Cuttings are lovely . . . but Chuckie is gorgeous!!!

Carolyn

• mdahms1979
    13 years ago

I potted mine up today as well but the two I wanted most are leafless stems, Hoya kloppenburghii and the expensive Hoya sp. Linus. I hope I can get the bare stems to root. The rest of my cuttings look pretty good and some made the trip totally unscathed.

Mike

• wheatgrl
    13 years ago

Great cuttings. Mine should be here tommorow. I like the parvifolia.
    Trish

• kellyknits
    13 years ago

Cindy,
    LOVE chuckie! What a cutie!

What are you rooting your parvifolia in? I got a cutting previously and did not do well with it.

Nice selections!

Mike,
    Keeping my fingers crossed for your cuttings!

Kelly

• mdahms1979
    13 years ago

Thanks Cindy :)
    I am going to be checking on those Hoyas often. I feel like they are critical care patients or something. LOL

My Hoya parvifolia did not like high humidity to root and I lost more than half of the cutting before I figured that out. This is a really nice little Hoya and now that mine is growing well (not fast) it is a favorite for sure. The leaves get a red blush and the plant has such a dainty character.

Mike

• puglvr1
    13 years ago

Great cuttings...but I agree Chuckie is super cute! TFS!

• cpawl
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks everyone.Chickie is a joy to have.
    Mike I hope your cuttings make it.
    Kelly I have parvifolia growing in coir in a very small plastic cup(like what a hospital gives out there pills in.
    I am now a bit worried about rooting this one.Should I leave it out of the baggie to root? Mike did you still use bottom heat with while rooting?
    Kelly did you lose pavifolia?

Cindy

• kellyknits
    13 years ago

Cindy,
    I did lose mine and I did have it in high humidity...I'd take Mike's advice!

Kelly

• quinnfyre
    13 years ago

I also agree that Chuckie is super cute! (Chuckie, or Chickie?)

What are you using to anchor your cuttings? I see a little bit of purple in your pic of parvifolia.

• cpawl
    Original Author
    13 years ago

quinnfyre Her name is chuckie.My teenage daughter named her after some movie where someones face is ripped off.I cant remember what movie she said.
    I use 2 different things depending on the size of pot.The purple thing is a paper clip that I open and cut to the right size for the pot.I also use greening stick pins.I get both items from the dollar store.

Cindy

• quinnfyre
    13 years ago

Ah, ok. You typed Chuckie first, then Chickie, so I wasn't sure. I think Chuckie is actually a pretty cute name for a girl cat. Even if she is named after a horror movie :) I'm guessing it's those Chuckie movies, about a murderous doll named Chuckie? I've never watched them.

I thought they might be paper clips. They don't rust? I think I tried pinning some other type of cutting down, and the clip either corroded or rusted. It was a few years ago, though, so I don't quite remember. Something to pin em down can be handy though, especially with hoya vines. Some of them just won't cooperate.

• cpawl
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I also think chuckie is a cute name.I usually only use the pins/paper clips while rooting.I always pin long vines down on the coir so I have a better chance of rooting points. Big heavy cuttings I find need help to stay in the pot while rooting.

Cindy

• mdahms1979
    13 years ago

Cindy I had my parvifolia in the rooting aquarium with bottom heat and it started to yellow and rot. I freaked out and took it out and just kept it out in the open with my orchids and made sure to keep it moist and it rooted. I would not worry too much but if you see it start to struggle try a lower humidity rooting environment. I got my plant in last years DL order and it's still pretty small but I am just glad to have it because I had been searching for that species for a while.

I pin down long cuttings as well because they will root at every node and sometimes along the stem if it is covered in poting mix. I like to use that plastic covered telephone wire because I have a bunch lying around but I have used pebbles to weigh down stems and plastic twist ties in the past with good results. After the stems are well rooted they could also be cut to encourage many growth points but you would have to be sure there are sufficient roots before trying that.

Mike

• cpawl
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Mike I have put the cutting on the heat mat with the other newly rooted cuttings.I guess I can only hope it roots.
    Kelly I am sorry to hear that you lost your cutting.

Cindy

• wheatgrl
    13 years ago

Hi Cindy,
    Mine got here too and they are awesome!

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    13 years ago

The cuttings look great!
    I'm not sure what Ted is recommending for potting mix these days, but he has often
    recommended Orchid Bark (or similar) in the past. While bark might require more water,
    especially if the bark is screened, the roots are less likely to rot.

Let us know how it goes!

Josh

• cpawl
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Josh for the info on the the use of bark.I love using coir.This is what works best for me.
    Trish good luck with your new cuttings from Ted.

Cindy

• wheatgrl
    13 years ago

Thanks. I usually use hydroton but am giung ti try to root in the coir. I think they will do well.
    Trish

Sponsored
Ronald J. Smith Interiors, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Veteran Interior Designer Serving Clients in Upper Marlboro