gardensnail22

slow death !!!!

gardensnail22
13 years ago

Just shoot me ! Same care for years, no sign of bugs, just a slow death.Jane

Comments (8)

• mdahms1979
    13 years ago

Maybe the potting mix is old and compacted or void of nutrients, that's my guess but not necessarily the reason for the leaf drop.

Mike

• gardensnail22
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks ,but no, fresh soil. The leaf drop started way before I repotted. Thats what made me do it but it didn't stop it.

Jane

• dmichael619
    13 years ago

did you notice any root mealies while re potting it,or maybe keeping it too wet/dry??? You may also want to look closely inside those curled up leaves for mealy bugs as well because they will cause yellowing and dropping of leaves. If you're by chance keeping this particular hoya too dry it does become a mealy magnet quickly. Once they take over a hindu rope it's almost impossible to get rid of them unless you have a way that you can submerge that entire plant into a solution of something to kill them and it has to get inside the leaves and everywhere.

Mine is at least 9 years old and equally as long,growing in a 14" wire hanging basket. I never allow it to become completely dry as that's when the melaies like to attack this one. In most cases with the leaves being curled as they are,you'd never even notice that the plant had an infestation. I keep my plant evenly moist at all times but still routinely do a spot check for creepy crawlies!!!

The only other thing that I can think of that might cause it to rot like this would be if the pant is over potted and being kept too wet,that would cause root rot,which in turn will cause yellowing and dropping of leaves.

I hope this helps. I grow a very large number of hoyas and the hindu rope is probably the most common of them all. It can be found in almost any store you walk into that sells plants. Regardless of how common it is though,mine is my pride and joy and the centerpiece of my collection. It was the first hoya I ever purchased and I will always grow it. It is also the only hoya in my collection,aside from the brand new ones,that has never been cut on. I refuse to cut my rope for anyone!!!

David

• greedygh0st
    13 years ago

lol That's so sweet and funny, David. Now I feel guilty that I've never developed a pet relationship with one particular hoya.

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    13 years ago

Without seeing the soil-mix itself, it would be impossible to determine if it's a decent mix or not.
    Yellow leaves can be an indication or over or under watering, though over-watering is more often the case.
    This plant is so huge, however, that it should be consuming fairly large amounts of water.

From the pic, the pot looks rather deep.

Josh

• gardensnail22
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank You guys so much, I have looked and looked and don't find mealy bugs but I will try to soak for good measure. The pot is a little large but this slow death started in the old pot!! I repotted to try to save it. What do I soak it in???? Jane

• pirate_girl
    13 years ago

If it were mine, I'd consider cutting off the yellowing ropes (ack, yeah, I know), but I wouldn't want the whatever to spread.

• gardensnail22
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I think I am going to just put it outside. I have already started 2 new cutings, maybe I will do one more, and let it fend for itself. I just don't know. If I cut off the yellowing ropes it will be all of them I'm afraid. The green you see at the top of the pot is the end of a long rope. All of them are bald coming out of the pot. Jane

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations
More Discussions