Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
xxbrandixx64

Any ideas for my hoya?!?

xxbrandixx64
11 years ago

I have a hoya plant i bought a month ago and its a medium size, i heard they grow verrrrry slow! But i was just wondering if any one knows of any ideas or tips that will help the hoya to bloom faster or grow a little faster in any way?!

Comments (12)

• emt23
    11 years ago

If you post a picture someone who has experience with that Hoya can most likely tell you more. ~ Mary

• Klea
    11 years ago

I would advise you to do a google search on the name of your plant, and then read up on what growing conditions it likes. :) There are several great hoya resorces on the web. (If you don't know your hoyas name, post a picture of it here and maybe it can be identified.) Trying to mimic the natural growing habitat of your specific hoya will give it the best chance to grow and flower as quickly as possible. (And that's what we're all aiming for!) :)

There's so many different species of hoya, and their favorite growing conditions vary greatly. Some hoyas like a lot of sun and a warm and humid growing place. Others like bright light, but no direct sun and a cool growing space. Some like to climb up a trellis, some like to hang from a basket. Some like the roots to dry out a bit between waterings and some like to be kept a little moist.

Hoyas do have one thing in common, though. They should not be kept in heavy water retentive soil. And it is often best not to use a big pot size. Fertilizing your plant will give it the food it needs to grow and flower, but remember; it is always better to fertilize too little than too much! I'd start with no more than half a dose fertilizer.

Hope this helps. :)

• xxbrandixx64
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Alrighty thanks.. im gonna post a picture in just a second. I believe its a Hoya Carnosa, thats what it said on its planter tag.

• plantomaniac08
    11 years ago

The hoya pictured is Hoya carnosa 'Krimson Princess.' Very nice looking!

Planto

• xxbrandixx64
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you! :)

• greedygh0st
    11 years ago

Your plant looks very good, Brandi. The primary thing you can do to speed up how fast it blooms is to give it good light. Variegated plants need less light, so don't go overboard, but make sure the green isn't too dark. It should be closer to lime green than evergreen. You know? What direction does that window face?

• pirate_girl
    11 years ago

GG,

Variegated plants need LESS light? Really? Is that what you meant to say?

Over 10 yrs. now, here at C&S & Houseplants & others all say variegated plants need MORE light than solid green (not less)?

• greedygh0st
    11 years ago

Well, I really think it depends on the type of plant and the type of variegation. I should have been more clear that I meant Hoya plants.

For what it's worth, my experience has been that variegated Hoyas are more sensitive to burning than their solid green counterparts, and some are prone to losing their variegation in high light. I just had to move my Marlea, sitting amidst a group of solid green carnosa cultivars in an east facing window, because it had become badly burnt. So, I didn't want to rashly advise "more light" without a caveat.

Here is one (more experienced than me) source that recommends this handling.

• suetran1
    11 years ago

Hoya carnosa 'Krimson Princess.'
    I grow mine with a lot of sun, mostly morning sun. Last week, even the temperature reached over 100'F, the plant is still ok.It seems very touch plant, and don't need much water.
    I love those leaves, it looks like a water painting.

• pirate_girl
    11 years ago

Hi Suetran,

Happy Summer to you, beautiful bloom & pix (as usual), love the interloper moth. You really do take some amazing shots, TFS.

Thanks GG,

Am guessing that's written by CB (recognizing her 'style' shall we say) & see her name listed at bottom, but not crystal clear she's the author?

I'll have to read it again, as I seem to have missed the part about the variegation.

• greedygh0st
    11 years ago

Thanks for the feedback and photos, Sue. :) That's a fantastic description of the leaves.

I haven't had any trouble with my KP burning either. But I have with bella Luis Bois and Marlea and something else I'm forgetting now. Luis Bois also throws mostly plain green vines when I have it in high light. I really don't really know what to think...

Yep, that is one of CB's articles.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting
More Discussions