Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tammypie

Hoyas in Pictures

tammypie
12 years ago

Thought I'd share my old hoya pics for those who are new to this forum. Enjoy!

H. Diptera:

H. Cumingiana. Got this one from C. Burton:

Hoya MacG:

H. Shepherdii:

H. Multiflora:

H. Retusa:

H. Albiflora:

The one I've had the longest, my old friend, H. Carnosa Crimson Queen:

H. Serpens:

Mystery Hoya:

H. Heuschkeliana, smells like butterscotch:

Comments (18)

• Denise
    12 years ago

I never tire of looking at photos! I'll add a few of my old favorites, too...

H. anulata (almost lost it and I'm hoping it will make a comeback)...

Fungii, one of my favorite beauties...

Callistrophylla (from this spring)...

Polyneura (haven't been able to get her to bloom since that first year!)...

Vanuatuensis, a faithful bloomer...
    {{gwi:957427}}

Purpureo-fusca...

'Royal Hawaiian Purple', whose flowers vary quite a bit in color!

My long lost hellwigiana...

Lobbii, some of my favorite flowers...

And meliflua - look at these two crazy-different flowers!...

Denise in Omaha

• wrynsmom
    12 years ago

Denise, I'm still amazed by the different flowers on your meliflua. Just beautiful! And that vanuatuensis you sent me last fall . . .is HUGE! Thank you, again.

Carolyn

• puglvr1
    12 years ago

Beautiful pictures Tammy and Denise! Thanks for posting them!

I agree with Carolyn, its so Cool how different those two meliflua blooms are!

• Denise
    12 years ago

Carolyn,

Vanuatuensis is a FAST grower, isn't it?! And it gets potbound really fast, too. I have 2 and they both need to be moved up to bigger pots.

Denise in Omaha

• wrynsmom
    12 years ago

I'll keep an eye on it, then!

:) Carolyn

• Harrison871
    12 years ago

I love the photos! thanks guys for putting them up. It just makes me want to see flowers from my own plants

• ima_digger
    12 years ago

Beautiful pictures Tammie and Denise. My carnosa Krinkle opened yesterday. Will take picture tomorrow. I was too busy trying to straighten my plants and make room.

• tammypie
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Denise, absolutely beautiful flowers!

Today I was busy; My H. Shepherdii was on its last legs, so I salvaged what green parts were left and repotted them in fresh potting mix. Same with my H. Polyneura and H. Linearis, had to snip and repot.

My H. Australis I've had for about 5 years, never bloomed once for me. All she did was grow a really long vine (about 5 feet or so) that I wrapped around a bamboo support. So I snipped out several new cuttings and added them to the pot with fresh potting mix.

• golden_ca_2000
    12 years ago

Awesome photos you 2 - thanks for taking the time to post them up for us!

• Denise
    12 years ago

Tammy,

Which australis are you growing? My ssp. tenuipes is a faithful bloomer, but my ssp. australis (the fuzzy one) has never bloomed even though I've had it a bazillion years (seems like!) Last year, it actually developed one peduncle - which seems almost hysterical considering the size of the plant! Oooo, really, ONE whole peduncle after, like, a dozen years or so? Oh well - some of them are just stubborn I guess!

Denise in Omaha

• tammypie
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Denise,

I'm not sure, which australis I have. The leaves are kind of thick, and a bit fuzzy. I had another hoya like this one years ago, and it made white flowers, but this one I currently have is really bullheaded when it comes to blooming, not one peduncle out of her!

• greedygh0st
    12 years ago

/Tammy

I love that albiflora. ^_^

What do the leaves on your NOID look like?

/Denise

I really admire that photo you took of your anulata. It puts me in mind of the description of the radiant gold and silver blossoms of mythological trees in Tolkien's Silmarillion.

That callistophylla is also amazing. It looks like it was crafted out of metal as a piece of jewelry.

• tammypie
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Greedy,

The Albiflora's leaves, are long and velvety, to my recollection; this plant died awhile back.

• greedygh0st
    12 years ago

I'm sorry about the albiflora. It seems so happy in the picture. Which Eriostemmas are you having rooted for you?

Also, sorry but I asked my question badly. I was curious about the leaves of your "Mystery Hoya," pictures 10 & 11. o_O

• emt23
    12 years ago

Hoya's in bloom always remind me of a kaleidoscope! Great pictures!

• tammypie
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi GG,

Actually, NO eirostemma has ever bloomed for me, the only exception was H. Ciliata (the black hoya), was given to me as a cutting from Carol in Hawaii. It was already blooming when I received it. Other than that, no luck with eirostemmas, but I'm not giving up!

On my 'mystery' hoya, again came from Carol. The leaves are smooth and hard. The leaves are not too large, larger than Hoya Serpens but smaller than H. Krimson Queen. And they are round-ish:

• tammypie
    Original Author
    12 years ago

My H. Diptera is now putting forth buds twice. On one pendicle there are three buds, and two are turning yellow :o( on the other pendicle, all buds are growing larger and looks promising but I won't get too excited until I see actual blooms.

This hoya got scale a couple of years ago and I threw her outdoors (northern exposure) and forgot her. Well she survived without my care and the scale went away so I brought her indoors. So cool this hoys is from Fiji!

• greedygh0st
    12 years ago

That's so awesome that the "ignore it" strategy worked! Congrats!

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County