quinnfyre

Wayetti

quinnfyre
13 years ago

Just thought I'd share a couple pics of my wayetti blooms:

Comments (10)

• Denise
    13 years ago

Nice photos, Quinn. Mine has been growing nicely this year, but it hasn't bloomed in some time. I know it will bloom if I put it in the GH, but I have trouble keeping it watered enough out there and then the leaves tend to curl. I don't like the look of curled leaves, so I keep it inside the house. Think I'll move it to a slightly sunnier window and maybe I can get some of those cute little blooms yet this year.

Denise in Omaha

• kellyknits
    13 years ago

Beautiful! I love the dark edges on the leaves on mine, but it has yet to even think about flowering!

Kelly

• puglvr1
    13 years ago

Quinn, just gorgeous!! I love wayetti...one of my favorites for both leaves and blooms. Thanks for the great pictures!

• quinnfyre
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Denise, my leaves tend to curl, because I can't take it down to water anymore and so I have to guess when it needs water. It made itself pretty inaccessible by growing vines with peduncles all over the place, and so I'm really not able to bring it to eye level without doing a lot of vine wrangling and potentially knocking off peduncles. But it seems to want to bloom even more when it gets a little dry. I'm enjoying it, even if I'm not entirely fond of the way it drips sap and sticky spent flowers all over all my other plants. It seems to rinse off pretty easily though.

A question for people with wayetti: do you find the flowers to be very fragrant, or only mildly so? Because mine aren't terribly fragrant. I can smell it if I stick my nose in it, and it smells sort of butterscotch-y, but it doesn't fill my room. My speckled lacunosa wasn't super fragrant either. I don't really mind, they are both great plants, but I'm just curious.

• quinnfyre
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I meant nectar, not sap : )

• puglvr1
    13 years ago

Quinn, mine has a very mild scent also. I too have to stick my nose right up to the bloom to smell it, and I grow mine outside 350+ days a year under some Oak trees. I have no room for any of the large EA hoyas inside...which is fine so I don't have to worry about the nectar dripping like you mentioned.

• cassidyk
    13 years ago

Quinn,
    I'm coming over to see this! My wayetti/kentiana grow like molasses, I don't ever expect to see them bloom.
    Cass

• quinnfyre
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Really? How long have you had yours? The first year I had mine (I got it as a plant, not a cutting) it grew alright, but nothing spectacular. But starting sometime the second year I had it, it starting growing like it was trying to win a contest... then it started shooting out all sorts of leafless vines. They are still leafless for the most part. It isn't showing any real signs of wanting to fill those in any time soon. But the leafless vines are mainly where the peduncles are appearing. My wayetti is right up against a south window, with only a mesh curtain between it and the glass. So keep an eye out for leafless vines. Not the most attractive thing in the world, but the flowers make up for it. The flowers are not quite so bright red in person; my camera doesn't do red so well. They are more wine colored.

• cassidyk
    13 years ago

Both of mine are full pots. The older one I got right by you, at the Lowe's on Delaware Ave., about a year ago. Any growth he considered putting off was stunted by my cat who thinks it's his favorite plant. I moved it to a safer location where it still gets good light but no direct. Since the move the cat found my lacunosa that has been in the same spot for years. Why do they do that? The other wayetti/kentiana I've only had for a few months. It's in a good location so maybe next year it'll give me some growth. Right now it's my brevialata that thinks it's in a growth contest!

• quinnfyre
    Original Author
    13 years ago

That's funny, because my brevialata is the one doing almost nothing. It is a rooted cutting, has been rooted for months, maybe even a whole year by now, but it put out a 4 in vine, sent out two leaves, and has then proceeded to abort every new attempt at leaves or vines. And then did absolutely nothing. We are reversed : )

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County
More Discussions