Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cyclonenat

Winter blues

cyclonenat
12 years ago

Hi everyone i cant believe its so hard to bring plants into New Zealand even from australia grrrrr. Anyway i think i might lose australis keysii it was the only one affected by the cold before i brang them inside from on the deck. The rest of my plants are dormant at the moment. Nice cuttings everyone has hope they grow well for you

Comments (5)

• greedygh0st
    12 years ago

I do think it's a huge bummer that it's so tough to import things into New Zealand, but I guess it makes sense that your country would be a little gun shy in this regard. I know my dad is kind of Mr. Negatorio every time I import plants and actually seems to cheer up when there is evidence that customs went through my package. It's like he's rooting for the other side lol. I suspect he feels the policies are too lax here.

I, on the other hand, have an Aussie relative visiting in a week and I keep wanting to send her links to photos of Hoyas growing wild there to see if she knows the plants. But I think even if she had a whole forest of it growing in her backyard, she'd be too much of a stickler to smuggle any to me. She is always defeating my stereotypes of wild Australians, darn her.

Too sad about keysii. Can you take a promising cutting? It's amazing what a Hoya can recover from. Just a couple months ago, I was thinking I'd wrecked my pusilla cutting and it was always going to be a problem plant for me. But now it's looking so good it's hard to believe it was ever so limp and wretched.

Good luck!!!

• wrynsmom
    12 years ago

GG, isn't it legal to bring up to 10 cuttings on the plane from Australia? Seems I heard that somewhere . . .

Carolyn

• greedygh0st
    12 years ago

Yeah, it is, but you don't know this lady. She has an anxiety attack if we have tea past teatime. And it always seems to be teatime. I just don't get teatime.

So, somehow it seems unlikely that I can get her to pack her suitcase full of weeds. But you're right, I should give it a shot anyway. ^_~

• cyclonenat
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Oh ok i havent given up on it yet but its not looking too good i must say. I might have got hold of a hoya club here that just folded but before they did i contacted them they sent me my obovata and are growing me a new multiflora and serpens cutting because the ones i bought got damaged in the post and didnt make it, i think she also has fungii, and she has contact with another member that has some of the different ones. Sometimes i go to my local park that has a glasshouse thing and it has a few hoyas so im going to ask if i can get some cuttings off them (in the spring of course)

• tammypie
    12 years ago

I'm glad winter is over on this side of the Equator; we had a pretty mild, but wet, winter.

My Hoya Australis has been sitting in a north facing window, neglected. All the leaves are yellow (too much light), so I did a major overhaul on her this afternoon. New cuttings put in new potting mix. Had her for over 5 year and moved her to a less lit up place. Stubborn this one, not bloomed, not ONCE since I had her. I'll just have to admire her foliage.. lol

Anyways, hope our keysii pulls through. Hoyas are pretty tough.

TammyPie

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz
More Discussions