Return to the Hoya Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Winter blues

Posted by cyclonenat (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 8, 11 at 0:56

Hi everyone i cant believe its so hard to bring plants into New Zealand even from australia grrrrr. Anyway i think i might lose australis keysii it was the only one affected by the cold before i brang them inside from on the deck. The rest of my plants are dormant at the moment. Nice cuttings everyone has hope they grow well for you

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Winter blues

I do think it's a huge bummer that it's so tough to import things into New Zealand, but I guess it makes sense that your country would be a little gun shy in this regard. I know my dad is kind of Mr. Negatorio every time I import plants and actually seems to cheer up when there is evidence that customs went through my package. It's like he's rooting for the other side lol. I suspect he feels the policies are too lax here.

I, on the other hand, have an Aussie relative visiting in a week and I keep wanting to send her links to photos of Hoyas growing wild there to see if she knows the plants. But I think even if she had a whole forest of it growing in her backyard, she'd be too much of a stickler to smuggle any to me. She is always defeating my stereotypes of wild Australians, darn her.

Too sad about keysii. Can you take a promising cutting? It's amazing what a Hoya can recover from. Just a couple months ago, I was thinking I'd wrecked my pusilla cutting and it was always going to be a problem plant for me. But now it's looking so good it's hard to believe it was ever so limp and wretched.

Good luck!!!

o

GG, isn't it legal to bring up to 10 cuttings on the plane from Australia? Seems I heard that somewhere . . .

Carolyn

o

Yeah, it is, but you don't know this lady. She has an anxiety attack if we have tea past teatime. And it always seems to be teatime. I just don't get teatime.

So, somehow it seems unlikely that I can get her to pack her suitcase full of weeds. But you're right, I should give it a shot anyway. ^_~

o

Oh ok i havent given up on it yet but its not looking too good i must say. I might have got hold of a hoya club here that just folded but before they did i contacted them they sent me my obovata and are growing me a new multiflora and serpens cutting because the ones i bought got damaged in the post and didnt make it, i think she also has fungii, and she has contact with another member that has some of the different ones. Sometimes i go to my local park that has a glasshouse thing and it has a few hoyas so im going to ask if i can get some cuttings off them (in the spring of course)

o

I'm glad winter is over on this side of the Equator; we had a pretty mild, but wet, winter.

My Hoya Australis has been sitting in a north facing window, neglected. All the leaves are yellow (too much light), so I did a major overhaul on her this afternoon. New cuttings put in new potting mix. Had her for over 5 year and moved her to a less lit up place. Stubborn this one, not bloomed, not ONCE since I had her. I'll just have to admire her foliage.. lol

Anyways, hope our keysii pulls through. Hoyas are pretty tough.

TammyPie

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hoya Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here