Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
golden_ca_2000

Besides Hoyas what are your hobbies

golden_ca_2000
12 years ago

Now that we know where we all live - what are your other hobbies or obsessions? Lets see some of your work/hobbies - things you are proud of....

I have gotten into many different crafts over the years from cross stitch, ribbon embroidery, paper tole, painting, gardening.... I bred gouldian finches for a number of years but fishing, painting and gardening always stuck with me...(Clematis is another favorite of mine)

Here's a few photos of a couple of things I have made - my husband always did the wood work for me and I painted it...

clock

a little something for the front step

chickadees

On to my other passion - sturgeon fishing

Here is my Largest fish so far 8 foot 9 " (I caught this one this spring)

So thats me - lets see some of your hobbies and crafts ....

Comments (29)

• tammypie
    12 years ago

My other hobby is raising two strapping teenage boys, now ages 19 and 16, thus the hoya or gardening hobby to maintain my sanity... ;o)

• greedygh0st
    12 years ago

LOL I love your sturgeon fishing photos, Golden. It's so... primal!

Okay, less talking, more answering. - I like learning new languages (working on Spanish, Japanese, and Vietnamese atm.)
    - I'm a violist.
    - I'm a writer.
    - I love to cook. Right now I'm obsessed with raw food.
    - I love anime and horror movies.
    - I'm a gamer.
    - I like discovering new music and going to shows.
    - I recently started a blog about my explorations of beer.
    - I compulsively collect (and read) books.
    - I like to train animals.
    - I'm generally crafty, with no specific focus.
    - I'm recently obsessed with tops. Yep. Tops.

I'm sure I'm forgetting something obvious...

And yeah, you can definitely tell I don't have kids yet LOL My life sounds so self-centered when I put it in bullet points.

• mitzicos
    12 years ago

I love to cook
    I love all kind of plants and have several special such as orchids and adeniums
    I love animals and have an old litlle dog

The bad: beer and smoke cigars!!!! Not a hobby at all

Mitzi

• greedygh0st
    12 years ago

LMAO Mitzi. My bad hobby is spending way too much money on Bento supplies.

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    12 years ago

Whoa, fantastic crafts and excellent sturgeon...! O.O

I have a few hobbies, though gardening gets most of my energy during the growing season.
    I'm a writer of short stories and poetry - mostly dark humor, folksy, odd tales - although
    I have hit the mainstream themes of zombie, werewolf, and vampire. I do a bit of ink drawing
    now and again, which helps me visualize characters and scenes from my stories.
    No surprise, I love horror movies and literature.

I also make medieval armour and practice sword-sparring with friends.

Here's just a taste of what I draw...I call this one, The Countess:

Josh

• moonwolf_gw
    12 years ago

Besides gardening, I like to crochet (I'm making leg warmers right now, I'll post pictures later on if I remember). Very relaxing. I love to write! Fiction and poems mostly. I love anime and video games like GG. I love to cook too. I like to read (just finished reading for the second time Little Girl Blue: The Life Of Karen Carpenter, a very good book) and listen to record albums (country and lots of older groups like the Carpenters, The Mamas and The Papas, etc.).

I love animals and my favorites are wolves, eagles and butterflies (odd mix, yes I know).

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• squidy
    12 years ago

That clock is wonderful.. and the sturgeon is amazing!

My main hobby is drawing, I guess. (I'm sort of taking a break, although I should get back into it.)
    I also like making/building any kind of small thing out of any material. Sorry lol, it's hard to narrow that one down.
    I like video/computer games too, and I love camping and hiking, which I mostly do with my mom.
    And I collect keys.
    I'm trying to get into tennis, too. (Just casual, for fun.) Hope it sticks.

• greedygh0st
    12 years ago

/Brad

Since you love wolves and anime, I have to ask whether you've watched Wolf's Rain. If you haven't, you should. ^_^

/Josh

Love the Countess. Kind of reminds me of a character you'd find in the Vampire Hunter D series.

/Squidy

Any photos of your key collection? I used to think I'd do something like that, but... I went in a different direction.

• golden_ca_2000
    Original Author
    12 years ago

GG. Wow you like alot of things - thats great! Learning new languages... I hear Japanese is a very tough language to learn but definitely cool to have! You definitely keep yourself busy! Explorations of beer - now that could be dangerous - lol...

Mitzi.... orchids.. now they are beautiful .... arent they tough to get them to flower? and beer and cigars - I dont know = thats kind of an arm work out - lol

Greenman, funny how most of us that like hoyas like the outdoors gardening too! Definitely a cool drawing!

Brad, Yeah Im not sure I know what leg warmers are?
    We see so many eagles out here when we are out fishing especially at the end of the salmon season! - I also think hummingbirds and butterflies are cool too, (they are my favorite!)

Squidy, taking a break sometimes is good - I get in and out of things too - get sort of bored with somethings for a while and then pick it back up - and good to have a mix of things!

• wrynsmom
    12 years ago

Okay . . . hmmmm

I knit & crochet, and I teach both
    I raise parrots with the occasional handfeeding job (baby parrots)
    New types of music are always a plus! My husband and I like to attend concerts when we can
    I used to work in a bookstore and bought HUNDREDS of books . . . and have only read a small portion. Literature is my friend!
    I love to cook . . . but I hate the cleanup. Thank goodness my daughter is old enough to do most of that, now
    The hubby and I love to ride the motorcycle, together. Long or short trips; doesn't matter. It's together time on the open road. ;)

That's all I can think of for now.

Carolyn

• quinnfyre
    12 years ago

GG, does it count as cooking if you're into raw foods? ;)

I took up knitting again this past year. I tried it first a few years ago but I got bored of it when I couldn't get the hang of anything but the most basic garter stitch. I think at the time YouTube wasn't a big thing. And that might have been around the time I was crazy and had three jobs. This time, I had YouTube to help me out, and it clicked. I am now in the process of knitting sweaters and lace scarves/wraps.

I haven't been lately, but I used to make jewelry with semiprecious beads and silver wire and chain. I have two cats to take care of. I'm interested in learning to reupholster but I don't have the space. I like to sew, but am running into the same problem, lack of space. I used to draw and paint but don't have a good place to do so. I read voraciously, so much so that I have to ban myself from it sometimes. I read fast, so I will read just about anything, classics to cheesy novels. I cook but I don't always enjoy it. I don't really get the chance to play music anymore but I played piano for about 14 yrs, flute for about 12, and dabbled with guitar (I know basic chords.) I like to write when I can make myself sit down and do so. I want to like video games and used to know a LOT about them. But they make me mad/frustrated. (I am a sore loser, ha.) But I have my very own Sega Dreamcast! And I am a photographer. Not as much as I should be; I think I got burned out and now I'm kind of waiting on getting a digital SLR. I take reference shots much more these days but I used to love to do portraits. Portraits are hard to share without feeling like I'm being a bit rude to the subject, though. So I'll share a couple non portraits:

My flute:

Kluane Lake, Yukon Territory:

• cyclonenat
    12 years ago

Hi my hobbies are

my animals
    mosaics a wee bit
    painting a wee bit
    .22 rifle target shooting
    hunting when time permits (deer and ducks and rabbits and hares)

• wrynsmom
    12 years ago

Oh, yeah! I forgot a few:

I've played the flute for over 22 years, and I'm learning the ukulele.
    I like to target shoot; guns (all kinds) and I've been into archery for the last 32 years (I'm 34).
    Hmmmmm . . . I'm sure I'll think of more as time goes by.

Carolyn

• moonwolf_gw
    12 years ago

GG, funny you should mention Wolf's Rain. I think my one friend used to watch it years ago. He said it was pretty good. He got me to watch Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood (which I absolutely love) and Gundam 00. Pokemon was very popular when I was in elementary school. Sailor Moon (of course my all time fav) I used to watch after school (but I have seen the originals in Japanese and they are so much better!). Speaking of which, I cannot wait for this September for when the entire manga and it's prequel (Codename Sailor V, which has never been released in the US) get re-released!

Josh, I really love your drawing! The Countess does remind me of a vampiress or some supernatural being. She seems very otherworldly and mysterious. :) Awesome job!

Golden, leg warmers were very popular in the 80's and have enjoyed a revival lately (fashion also repeats itself lol). They are worn from below the knee to the ankle. Must have been from Flashdance or the fitness craze that went on in that decade lol. You are so lucky to see eagles up close! There have been nests at a lake near here for years.

OK, I've never studied Japanese but I know a few words here and there from watching anime. Some basic words for you all (GG can clarify for me if I'm wrong lol): "Tsuki" means moon, "enajii" (sp.?) = energy, of course one of my favorites: "Usagi" = rabbit or bunny (Sailor Moon's alter ego; her full name is Usagi Tsukino which translated means rabbit/bunny of the moon). Another favorite character of mine "Parinsesu Kakyuu" = Princess Fireball. I know, I know, but I just LOVE this anime! :)

Brad AKA Moonwolf

12 years ago

Thanks, Brad, Golden, and GG!
    I, too, watch some Anime series with friends. And I know that "Midori" means green ;-)

Quinn, incredible pictures. I dabble with picture taking, but I don't have the right equipment.

Carolyn and Nat, I'm a big-time gun enthusiast/shooter.
    My favorite round is the .22 for fun. However, I hunt deer and boar with my 30-06 rifle.
    I also enjoy shooting my single action (old West style) .357 revolver. Great kick!

Here's a little something for those who like wolves - The Greeting:

Josh

• Denise
    12 years ago

I admire people who can draw! I have a cousin who is an awsome artist and oh how I wished I had his talent when we were growing up! And Golden, you have some serious talent with the painting you do, too. Wow, I just love that clock and the birds. Very nice!

I don't have a lot of time for other hobbies since my plant collection keeps me awfully busy when I'm not working. But when I have time, I enjoy making plastic canvas projects. I really like to cook, though for my husband it seems like more of a chore because he's SO inflexible in what he'll eat. I love to try new things and he's a total stick-in-the-mud when it comes to anything new...

I love to both read and write, but I don't get much of a chance to do either. Those are probably the two things I look forward to doing a lot of if I ever get to retire!

Denise in Omaha

• moonwolf_gw
    12 years ago

You're welcome Josh! I just LOVE that werewolf picture! "Domo arigatou" for sharing it with us! I think I do remember Midori meaning green (hey isn't Midori from a Zelda game?).

Golden, here are the leg warmers for my nieces. They don't have the rhinestones on yet but they will in time. They're for Christmas anyway.

Denise, I hope so too you get to enjoy all your hobbies after you retire!

Brad AKA Moonwolf

12 years ago

Thanks, Brad!
    Nice work on the warmers. I received a pair of knitted slippers last winter and they are great.

Moonwolf ;-) here are more moonwolves for you. Some of my simpler stuff. The first one is called "Afterglow."
    The second is called "Cult of the Wolfmask."

Josh

• cpawl
    12 years ago

I love this thread thanks for starting it.I find it interesting to see what other like to do in their spare time.Other than looking after my hoyas,my 4 cats and 2 children.I love to read/learn as much about south east Asia as I can pulse Japan and south Korea.Every day I read blogs, travel info and what not about this area.I even plan and help book air and hotels for family and friends if they are going to this area.I have myself been to a few places in south east Asia.I dream when I can spend my winter months in Penang, Malaysia.For those of you who love Anime should try one time to get to Japan.I took my son last year for a week for just this reason.He is nuts about Anime .
    Josh I love your Drawings.I am going to show them to my daughter.She likes to draw and will enjoy seeing them.

Cindy

• golden_ca_2000
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Carolyn, Motorcyle riding sounds like alot of fun! Nice to do something you and your husband both enjoy!
    Target shooting is something I have always been interested in.... Im going to have to try that some time...

Quinn, very cool photos, I LOVE the first one...

Brad, OH YES FLASHDANCE.... we all know that movie... you did a beautiful job on your leg warmers!! I really like your hoya in a cage too! Did you make the macrame in the background too?

Josh, THAT DRAWING IS AMAZING! I can only draw stick men - lol... I always wished I could draw.. but you either have it or you don't... I DONT - lol

Denise - Yes men CAN be sticks in the mud! but then if he complains I make my husband cook... actually hes a pretty good cook... Im really not one for cooking... but I love to bake for some reason... maybe cause I like to eat sweet stuff :0)

Very interesting stuff... lots of lovers of cooking and knitting... oh and reading and writing.. keeps the brain active... (thats why mine is fading - lol) My daughter loves to read she has so many books and most of them she hasnt even read yet... I think she likes to collect books and have a library of her own... I think smart people usually like reading and I think that is why they are so smart... (thank god my daughter didnt take after me - lol)

• moonwolf_gw
    12 years ago

Thank you Golden! No I didn't make the macrame hanger in the background. My one grandmother gave it to me. I looked at patterns for it and it looks complicated lol.

Thank you Josh! Those drawings are AMAZING! I can only attempt to draw lol and make sketches. How long does it take you to complete a drawing?

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• dmichael619
    12 years ago

Well I have to say compared to the rest of you guys/gals, I lead a rather boring life here!!!!

Aside from collecting hoyas I like to cook/bake and I collect Fenton Art Glass. I have an aunt who worked at the factory in Williamstown ,WV for over 20 years and is recently retired. They make many colors of glass but my color of choice is yellow burmese and I have somewhere around 180 pieces of it. Burmese glass is made with depleted (if there is such a thing) uranium and pure gold amongst other things. I think I probably have enough uranium in my house to power a small country!!!

Not much else to speak of other than my 3 cats and 2 dogs !!

• mdahms1979
    12 years ago

Golden your paintings are very well done and I especially like the welcome painting.

Josh your ink work would translate well into printmaking. Have you ever tried making prints or silkscreen prints? I like the Cult of the Wolfmask!

David I love Fenton glass and I am most fond of the studded glass and have a few blue pieces. I also have a small collection of art glass cruet type containers.

It's nice to see all the talent out there. I wish I still played an instrument but I haven't for so long that I would have to learn all over again. I used to enjoy woodwind with the clarinet family being my favorite.
    Other than Hoyas I grow orchids and African bulbs plus some Aroids and Stapeliads/various cacti and succulents. I am also an active member of my local Orchid Society. Lately I have been drawn into the world of Gesneriads and I have an ever growing collection with Kohleria making up the bulk.

I keep and breed South American dwarf Cichlids from the Genus Apistogramma as well some of the Betta species and their relatives like the tiny sparkling Gourami. These Gouramis actually make a loud croaking sound and they are lots of fun to keep, mine are in a terrarium set up like an Asian swamp.

I am also into herbal medicine and reading about medicinal plants and Ethnobotany. I grow and wildcraft medicinal plants and make my own preparations.

Mike

• golden_ca_2000
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Cool Mike - I didnt know you were into fish tanks... we have 3 of them at our house....we have pearl gouramis, yellow gouramis and beautiful angel fish. (I think my angel fish have the best personality...they are always very aware that I am near the tank - wiggling to try and get my attention cause they KNOW I feed them - lol, and my daughter in her tank has German rams... I love my plecos... they remind me of sturgeon... and I have shrimp in one of my tanks too - they are fun to watch...

And David.. you are NOT boring... dogs and cats are alot of fun and they need to be taken care of and loved too!!

• dmichael619
    12 years ago

Mike are you speaking of the hobnail pattern??? My oldest piece of Fenton burmese is an 11" hobnail vase that was made in 1970. My most recent addition will be a piece that I purchased from QVC just this morning!!! Sadly Fenton announced last week that they are halting production of their regular line of glass. The company is going through some major financial struggles at the moment. I have been on the factory tour several times and it's very interesting to see just how the glass is made. My mom and dad can't understand why it's so expensive but to see just how involved it is and how many hands a single piece has to go through before completion certainly helps give one that understanding.

• quinnfyre
    12 years ago

Um, David? If I had that many hoyas grown that well I wouldn't have time to do most of the other things I do! And you do us all such a service by showing us hoyas we may not be familiar with, or pics of blooms that our hoyas aren't ready to give us. I don't see anything boring about your life. Half the reason why I have so many things that I do is that I keep having to move back and forth between new things and old projects, because I get bored easily. I have wondered sometimes if I have attention deficit disorder. It's like once I prove to myself I CAN do something, it's on to the next challenge.

Josh, I love your drawings. Do you draw with pencil, ink, or computer? I have friends that create their art with computers and their stuff is amazing... I never really considered doing so before until I saw what they could accomplish. But there is something so personal and another word my brain can't find right now about paper and pencil, paper and ink, paint and canvas.

I'm a fan of Usagi Yojimbo (Rabbit Bodyguard) by Stan Sakai and the Kabuki series by David Mack. Kabuki is quite complex and might take some time getting into but Usagi is fairly straightforward, clean drawing with compelling stories, some quite subtle and quiet. I don't have access to many of them anymore, but I definitely enjoyed them.

Golden, I keep forgetting to say this because there is so much going on in this thread, but I really like your clock. How long does it take to get to that point where someone is taking a photo with you and that sturgeon, on average, from start to finish?

• Harrison871
    12 years ago

Wow, everyone seems to have such great hobbies.

- I love to knit and crochet
    (I make blankets for friend's weddings so that I don't have to buy them something, more personal that way. Let me tell you I have been making them alot lately. Will my friends stop getting married already!) I am also getting into knitting and crocheting my own clothing, It seems to be the it thing in fashion right now.

- I played the piano for 12years, violin for 7 year and viola for 5 years. Don't have time to play anything, my apartment is to small to have all my instruments out. When I have more money I want a house with a music room, so when I feel like practicing I can just walk in and jam.

- I love to read
    - I have also picked up calligraphy recently.

- I love to bake and cook when the mood strikes me.
    ( mostly when Im hungry or bored or both ;P)

I admire people that can draw or have an artistic eye. Everyones printings and photos are great. You are all lucky that you have that talent. Wish I had it as well. I don't have the patients for it, instent gratification is what i like, its funny that I like to grow plants so much. They are not the thing to give you what you want right away. It's a waiting game with them.

• golden_ca_2000
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Quinn, Very true... I think David should be totally proud of his photography skills - ALONG with all the fantastic hoyas he grows - I agree with you there!!!
    You made me laugh Quinn... Deficit disorder - lol.. my husband always says I have Obsessive compulsive disorder - lol (Its kinda true - lol)

If your asking how long does it take to bring in a sturgeon that size - that took about 30 - 40 minutes... mindu I handed over the rod to the guy in the middle of that shot - it is REALLY tough for me to bring in a fish that big by myself... It was funny cause the next morning when we spoke with him - he said he couldnt understand why his tummy felt tenderized - lol... (yeah well when you have a rod in your stomach with a large fish on for 20 minutes it does do some bruising - lol)
    The guy at the head of the fish, on that photo is my husband of 26 years!

Harrison, I always cherish a gift that is made for me cause I know how much work has been put into it!! I think they are always the best gifts!

12 years ago

You're really too kind! ;-)
    Cindy, Golden, Brad, Mike, Dmichael, and Quinn, thanks.
    Brad, those little sketches take an hour or so, sometimes longer.
    I finished a full-page piece that took me several days of pencil, then ink, then retouching.

Quinn, I start with a faint pencil sketch, then I come back in with pen. Once the image
    is dry, I scan it into the computer and then fiddle with the midtones and the contrast to get
    a very black image. The crisper the original, the better the scan. So I guess it's a fusion
    of pencil, ink, and computer ;-)

Mike, I haven't made any prints from these, but my sister and her boyfriend have printed them
    out to make white/black inverse stickers for things like vehicles, notebooks, computer cases,
    et cetera. I'd love to make some shirts and other prints.

Josh

Sponsored
Creating Thoughtful, Livable Spaces For You in Franklin County
More Discussions