H. rubida

H. glabra

H. cv. Iris Marie

H. crassicaulis

H. australis ssp. tenuipes

Comments (2)

• greedygh0st
    10 years ago

I like all the plants in your list, but If you are looking specifically for easy, fast and beautiful, my top picks would be:

Iris Marie, hellwigiana, aldrichii, finlaysonii, chlorantha

The fastest are Iris Marie & chlorantha
    The most beautiful is hellwigiana
    The least common (imo) are sp. Poring, sp. Ban Ngoy Ngon, hellwigiana, and rubida

Notes:

Hoya finlaysonii- Very resilient and easy growing - not the first choice of mealies because of its hard leaves. Medium growing pace - fast enough to always be doing something, but not 'weed-like.'

Hoya hellwigiana- Similar to finlaysonii. Just all around easy and showy.

Hoya chlorantha var. tuituilensis- Fast grower and easy.

Hoya sp. Poring- Strong and not too slow either.

Hoya sp. Ban Ngoy Ngong- Grows about the same pace as a carnosa - about as tough, too. Produces that nice bunching growth at intervals, and since its leaves are in the small-medium range, it can look quite thick, which makes it more attractive.

Hoya aldrichii- Strong and can be very fast if it likes the conditions (I have a nearly floor-to-ceiling north office window and during the winter it grows very fiercely). Very elegant looking, especially in conditions where the light can glow through its leaves.

Hoya calycina- Easy - but the leaves grow bigger than I expected lol. Quickly needs a lot of space.

Hoya amoena- Easy enough to forget about, but has very pretty leaves.

Hoya juannguoiana- Another swiftly big one, like calycina. Would be hard to kill, imo.

Hoya dasyantha- Grows easily enough during the summer, but can be a bit sensitive in winter. Closer in personality to villosa than fungii.

Hoya rubida- It's one of those that looks soft and tender, but is actually succulent enough that it survives a forgotten watering better than others. It's got those soft leaves the mealies like, but so far mine has evaded them.

Hoya cv. Iris Marie- Strong and fast and beautiful. Everyone should have one.

Hoya crassicaulis- I never can decide whether it's very ugly or very beautiful. I actually feel quite fond of mine. It is utterly unkillable, I suspect. The leaves are so hard you could stab someone with them.

Hoya australis ssp. tenuipes- They say this australis blooms fastest, but mine has gotten outstripped by its australis peers. It's certainly easy enough, but if I were going to pick only one australis, I'd choose either australis ssp. australis, or australis ssp. rupicola. I do think tenuipes grows the fastest out of any of them, though - it's quite speedy and the leaves don't get too big either.

• Diana_Gale
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Wow, wonderful notes! I am keeping them. 2 of your tops matched my list of 'want now'.

I am getting:

Iris Marie
    Hellwigiana
    Finlaysonii

So, that will bring my list of Hoyas to:

H. Carnosa
    H. Carnosa (different than above)
    H. Carnosa 'Krimson Queen' (green/white varig)
    H. Kentiana maybe (not sure until blooms)
    H. Arnotiana
    H. Diversifolia
    H. Fungii
    H. Wayetii
    H. cv. Iris Marie
    H. Hellwigiana
    H. Finlaysonii

Can't wait to get the greenhouse walls up!

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH