Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
quinnfyre

My very own set of ironed turtles

quinnfyre
12 years ago

Thanks to Kelly, I too have elliptica. And it is a beauty:

I love it already. It has joined the ranks of my terrarium hoyas, for now. It is growing the tiniest new leaf. I'm hoping the extra humidity will keep it from dropping that baby leaf. Crossing my fingers!

Comments (23)

• cpawl
    12 years ago

Congratulation on the new hoya and that was very nice of Kelly to share.I have to say this one is in my top ten most loved.

Cindy

• ima_digger
    12 years ago

Georgeous leaves. It's now on my ever growing 'want list'. I'll have to search to see what the flowers look like. Anyone have a pic that they can post?

• puglvr1
    12 years ago

Its BEAUTIFUL Quinn!! I love it!! Super NICE of Kelly!

Cindy has gorgeous pictures her Elliptica blooms! I'm sure she wouldn't mind posting them.

I had buds on mine several weeks ago but they blasted :o(

• cpawl
    12 years ago

Cindy

• suetran1
    12 years ago

I LOVE it. Will be in my list.
    Thanks for posting.
    sue

• lovingmy4babies
    12 years ago

I LOVE those leaves! The flowers are gorgeous too- totally going on my want list. What type of conditions does this one prefer? Will it stay in the terrarium?

• dmichael619
    12 years ago

Quinn,congrats on getting a new baby to play with!!!! You'll like it it's a really neat hoya!

Cpawl,, that is a stunning photo of your H. elliptica.

The plant that i currently am growing came from Dischidia.com and is my second attempt at growing this hoya. I did pretty well with my first plant and even brought it into bloom but it went into a rapid decline shortly after and I lost the entire plant. This new one is growing in nothing but hydroton and seems to love it.

• quinnfyre
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I don't know if it will stay in the terrarium. It is there for now, while it roots. It depends on whether or not it is tricky to grow. The fussy ones tend to stay in the terrarium if they stay small enough. I'd have kept lambii in there too, but it is definitely not small enough!

On the negative side, linearis seems to have had enough of me. I've been keeping the room warmer this year because of electricity costs and because I don't like too sharp a contrast between outside and inside temps. Linearis hates to be warm. So, we'll see if it lasts through the summer or not. I did move it closer to the AC unit though.

• ima_digger
    12 years ago

Cindy, thanks for posting that beautiful picture. They remind be of dancing ballerinas. AWESOME!!!

• quinnfyre
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Cindy, I also love the pic of your flowers. I don't expect see them in person any time soon, but I will definitely be happy with more of those leaves. How big would you say your elliptica is, Cindy? I'm trying to figure out if it will be more of a compact grower, or if it will have to leave the terrarium in the future.

• cpawl
    12 years ago

Quinnfyre,I find that elliptica likes to grow a long vine and slowly fill in the leaves.Once yours starts to grow you will have to take to out of the terrarium depending on its size.I also find no matter how careful I am with touching the new vine it always has die back after trying to warp the vine.
    Here is a photo of how I grow one of my elliptica's and I am also trying to let one grow hanging to see if I can stop some of the die back.

• eye_love_begonias
    12 years ago

Thanks for sharing this one Quinnfrye! I have one coming from the Epiphytica order and I'm hoping that the clone I chose has such distinct vein markings as yours!

@cpawl, yours is so beautiful too!

• greedygh0st
    12 years ago

What a beautiful elliptica, Quinn. You are soooooo lucky! I am working on rooting my Liddle elliptica cutting and you have no idea how wretched it looks right now. Every other cutting is rooting like it's no big deal, but elliptica is so mean to me! One of my Aleya ellipticas rooted and is finally putting out some new growth, but it still seems very ... small and easy to lose. And although its green has intensified to a less yellow variety, it is NOT dark at all.

So, 3 cuttings now and they definitely never show up looking all dark green and glossy. Did Kelly send you a rooted plant?

• quinnfyre
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Well, rats. I wrote out a reply and then I lost my internet signal. So I had to restart my computer, and then I lost my reply. Oh well.

Cindy, thanks for the info about how your elliptica grows. It is good to keep in mind. Your plant is gorgeous, by the way!

My elliptica cutting seems to be doing alright. The lowest leaf is yellowing, and the baby leaf doesn't look like it made it, but that doesn't seem abnormal to me, as far as cuttings go. As long as the rest stays green, I'm happy. GG, Kelly sent me a cutting but she lives not too far from me, so it spent very little time traveling. Maybe that is the difference? Keeping my fingers crossed that all of yours make it.

• pirate_girl
    12 years ago

Hi folks,

Wow, that's one gorgeous Hoya -- I hadn't seen this one before, I'm a nut for patterned leaves & boy that sure fits the bill; beautiful flowers too.

I'm not able to do much mail order, but when I do, I'll know what to look for -- just stunning, thanks for the pix everybody, really quite something!!

• greedygh0st
    12 years ago

Interesting! Yes, I'd forgotten how close you live to each other and maybe that does account for it. But it really is still amazing the difference between your cutting and my cutting as we know the Liddle order wasn't in the mail long at all and as far as I've seen everyone's cuttings have looked fresh as a daisy.

But this, as you recall, is what MY elliptica looked like:

And it's the same thing I saw in my Aleya cutting - which looked 10x worse than any other cutting in that batch. The leaves turn yellow (or faint faint green if you're lucky) and transparent.

Well, as of now, I have 2 yellow leaves that haven't dropped and one pale green leaf. I think it will probably pull through, but it's just still such a shock to me to see how awesome your cutting is.

I hope I'm not the only person who finds elliptica a crazy cutting to buy.

• greedygh0st
    12 years ago

I realize I'm coming close to doing a bit of resurrecting here, but I've been obsessing about why Hoya elliptica cuttings are so fussy for a while now and I wanted to post an update.

Thanks to the benevolence of a super super super kind friend, I received some 'local' elliptica cuttings (e.g. from within the US), and look at the amazing difference between these cuttings and ones I've received from abroad, even though the travel time wasn't significantly less. I can't remember exactly how long that Liddle order took to get here, off the top of my head, but it was shockingly fast.

Either one or two days longer makes a huge difference to these cuttings or they don't like leaving the continent where they were born and bred. Or maybe they just don't like to fly? /ponder

Anyway, ignore the fact that I keep linking to my blog because I swear it is sheer laziness not the promotion of something that is still in its embarrassing stages. But, if you want to actually hear me discuss this at length (for some odd reason), my remarks are here.

• eileen44_gardener
    12 years ago

GG... I think I'll put that one on my growing wish list!... so pretty.. love the leaves... the blossoms!... did someone say, ballerinas? Absolutely!.. and btw... checked out your blog.. just for a minute.. will have to finally retire in order to see all that I so want to online!... best of luck... I'll be back there!.. esp for smoothie recipes!

• klyde
    12 years ago

Oh my, that is just so lovely! What a nice addition to your family. Mental note to remember this one...

• cpawl
    12 years ago

GG you must have been a very good girl.LOL Congratulation on getting this hoya.

Cindy

• quinnfyre
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Yay! Now YOU have your very own set of ironed turtles too. And I might add, you have more leaves than I do, so technically, you have a larger set of ironed turtles. Mine has been doing pretty well, I think. It may even be starting to grow. I'm glad you managed to get elliptica in good shape this time, hope it does well for you!

• puglvr1
    12 years ago

Congrats GG!! Best of luck with them!

Lol...LOVE the "Ironed Turtles" nickname...too cute!

• greedygh0st
    12 years ago

Thanks everyone! Cindy, I believe it had less to do with ME being a good girl and more to do with someone else's goodness. ^_~

So far so good! All turtles green.

Sponsored