Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tammypie

Hoya Serpens

tammypie
12 years ago

I have a Hoya Serpens that has been ravaged by aphids. It's still alive but I want to take cuttings and start a new plant from scratch.

There is a lot of dead branches, mixed with still living growth.

I've never taken cuttings from Serpens so can anyone here advise me how I should do this?

Thanks, Tammy

Comments (10)

• pirate_girl
    12 years ago

Hi Tammy, welcome back,

Just the same way one takes cutting of any other Hoya, which variety makes no difference at all. I'd just try to find the best & healthiest looking pieces among the dead growth, 2-3 node pieces would be good.

I once accidentally broke off a bit while unpacking one I'd just received, sent it off in a package w/ other cuttings to a former participant here & she grew it to full plants size & flowered from a little bit that was barely 3" long.

Just citing the above example to show you they can grow well from virtually any little bit, as long as it has at least 2 nodes.

• tammypie
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Pirate,

When you mention nodes, you mean the areas where the two leaves used to be?

• greedygh0st
    12 years ago

Yes, Tammy. That's what she means. Well, specifically, nodes are those little bumps where leaves and vines emerge from the vine.

As long as you have a single node, you have a viable cutting. Joni describes it as difficult to root, so you might want to start a number of small cuttings.

I've never rooted serpens, but I'm getting ready to try a bunch of little cuttings, so I'll let you know how it goes.

• pirate_girl
    12 years ago

Yes, nodes are where leaves will emerge, sorry I hadn't been back here since then.

For small leafed Hoyas or tricky to start Hoyas, I always try to have at least 2 nodes, also, if you lose the bottom one you've still got the top one to give a bit more chance.

Generally speaking, unless a person is quite experienced in Hoyas, I tend to suggest 2 node cuttings, seems to increase the odds.

I'd love to get some Serpens back, I don't currently know anyone growing it, nor do I ever see it for sale around here,bummer, it's one of my early favorites.

Some time back, I'd had a large pot for about a year & then lost it. I seem to recall reading this one likes cooler climates (not available at my house).

• tammypie
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I purchased a small terracotta pot from HD the other day, added new potting mix and took H. Serpens cutting with at least 2 nodes, dipped them in RootTone and let's see how things go. I'd hate to lose this hoya as she puts out the most prettiest flowers.

• pirate_girl
    12 years ago

She sure does!

Crossing my fingers for your cutting (tho' I might have gone w/ a plastic pot so as not to dry out too quickly).

• greedygh0st
    12 years ago

I have to second PG's vote for plastic there. I always found my serpens easy until I switched its medium around so it dried out faster. Now it's still growing fast but it drops leaves whenever it dries out.

Good luck, though and let us know how it goes. ^_^ I'm definitely curious about how hard/easy this one is to root.

• tammypie
    Original Author
    12 years ago

My Serpens cuttings are still looking good. I have the cuttings a little water today, seeing it was dry. Terracotta pots dry out sooner than plastic.

• golden_ca_2000
    12 years ago

Did you happen to put it in a plastic bag... I find that helps... (well I have an aquarium but a plastic bag works pretty good too.... just make sure you put a SMALL hole in the bag)

• tammypie
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I'll put my H. Serpens in a plastic bag with a tiny hole. It worked with "renovating" my AV's this spring.

Sponsored