Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
teisa_gw

Please Help Identify this Noid

teisa
9 years ago

This is the Noid that I got from SRQ Hoyas. She informed me it was a noid. It budded up before and blast. I was on vacation this week and it BLOOMED.

Can anyone identify it from these photos? The blooms look a little dried out so maybe thats why they didn't fully open....

Comments (12)

• teisa
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This is the half dead bloom, Im hoping someone can help me identify it. Im thinking it is H. Callistrophyllla.

This post was edited by teisa on Mon, Jul 21, 14 at 2:44

• Denise
    9 years ago

Could be callistrophylla or maybe sp. Nong Nooch (see the next post)...

Denise in Omaha

• Denise
    9 years ago

And here's Nong Nooch. The flowers look very close to the same, but Nong Nooch's are a little smaller.

Denise in Omaha

• teisa
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh thank you! I've never heard of Nong Nooch! I do believe that is what I have!! It's turning out to be a pretty good bloomer for me. It has 5 different peduncles growing at the moment! Thank you Denise!

• greedygh0st
    9 years ago

It looks more like Doug's clemensiorum although it might not be nearly that long (can't tell from the picture - how long is it Teisa?) It just doesn't reallllly look like Nong Nooch to me and definitely not callistophylla, which has much more washed out veining.

If it's a medium-large leaf, my vote is that it's one of the many collections of finlaysonii. But I don't think you can really identify it for sure from those photos. :(

• teisa
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here is a better picture of the Noid in Bloom again. Im thinking it is Nong Nooch. Next photo is of Leaves.

• teisa
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This is the Leaves. The are about 6-8" long. Does this seem like Nong Nooch?

This post was edited by teisa on Tue, Aug 19, 14 at 14:54

• Denise
    9 years ago

Looks right to me.

Denise in Omaha

• teisa
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well now I've got another question for those of you that grow this Hoya. It closed up after 24 hrs! What on earth is going on? I've never had a Hoya bloom for only 1 day. Anyone else seen this?

• Denise
    9 years ago

There are some Hoyas whose blooms do not last like others. I've had a hard time getting photos of certain Hoya's flowers because I didn't look at them on the day they bloomed. Just recently, my juanngoiana bloomed for the first time - two blooms - and though I did get a photo of it budding up, neither time did I get a chance to photograph the open flower. And I thought I was keeping a pretty close eye on it. Nong Nooch is another that I've never gotten a photo of the flowers for the same reason. That and the fact that it seems to want to flower down close to the base of the plant!

Denise in Omaha

• teisa
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Denise! I was just surprised when it bloomed and immediately closed the next day and fell off! On SRQ Hoya website it was Nong Nooch has a long bloom time!! Something's not right.

• greentoe357
    9 years ago

Teisa, many (most? all?) finlaysonii flowers are short-lived, they last a day or two, supposedly. So are finlaysonii hybrids like 'Jennifer'. My notes say Nong Nooch flowers are also short-lived. I must have taken that info from a source other than Joni.

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler