Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tammypie

Where is Everyone From?

tammypie
12 years ago

Just curious. Where is everyone from? Let's see how many people can respond.

Me, I live in Laguna Niguel, California (I'm a native Californian BTW)...

Comments (56)

• mitzicos
    12 years ago

Hi,

I'm from Brazil, I live in the city of Sao Paulo.

By the way who as facebook here? It should be a very good way to exchange pictures and information.

Mine is mitzi costa

Mitzi

• rennfl
    12 years ago

I'm originally from Pennsylvania, but now live in the panhandle of Florida, near Panamna City.

Renee

• Denise
    12 years ago

Mitzi,

Just sent you a "friend" request on FB. It would be fun to have more Hoya friends on my list. I'm listed as Denise Fredell-Evans on FB. (I don't need no stinking anonymity!)

Denise in Omaha

• tammypie
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Mitzi, I just sent you a facebook request.

TammyPie

• mitzicos
    12 years ago

Tammypie and Denise,

Very nice! I will accept the request at night, here in my work they blocked facebook - LOL!

Thanks for sending invitation

Mitzi

• ima_digger
    12 years ago

I live in Palm Bay, Florida, about 40 minutes south of where they launch the shuttles. Or I should say, where they used to launch shuttles. I was born in Brooklyn NY, moved to Long Beach and San Diego CA during WW2. My Dad was in the US Marines stationed on the USS New Orleans. After the war, we moved back to Brooklyn NY where I lived until 1988. Hubby and I moved to Florida and have loved ever minute of living here.

• pirate_girl
    12 years ago

Well I was born near NYC, grew up in Brazil, Rio de Janeiro, moved back here when I was 10 yrs. old. Studied University in Buffalo & Philadelphia. Moved back to NYC area after college, to NYC & then Brooklyn, been here ever since (3 blocks from the beach which I love).

• lovingmy4babies
    12 years ago

I'm a Georgia girl, born and raised. I used to want to move away, when I was a teen, but now I realize that I'll miss Georgia too much! lol

• marco
    12 years ago

Hi, I just joined this forum last week. I have been lurking for about one year.

I was born and raised in Boston MA and moved to the Tampa Bay area of Florida 6 years ago.

Last August, my neighbor, an 85 year old woman, gave me 4 cuttings of her mothers 'wax plant' that had come over with the family to America from Germany in the late 1800's. I am now watching it bloom for the first time on the new growth. I am a 'vine' person, so I have strung up my patio with twine and have 7 'runners' loaded with penduncles and 4 ready to bloom later this week. I am hooked !

I hope to be able to contribute here and make new friends along the way.

Poseidon24

• tingtingeling
    12 years ago

I`m from the northern part of Norway. Not the best place in the world to grow tropical plants

• mitzicos
    12 years ago

What about the facebook???

Mine is mitzi costa!

If anyone has facebook let's interact on there too.

Mitzi

• mdahms1979
    12 years ago

First of all to all the newcomers, Welcome to the Forum. :)

I have lived all my life in the Canadian province of Ontario. I was born in the most Southern county of the Bruce Peninsula which is at least an hour from the shores of the Great Lakes. When I was a teenager I moved to the Southern Ontario city of London and into the Carolinian Forest Zone which is only about two hours from my birthplace but surprisingly different as well.

Mike

Here is a link that might be useful: Bruce Peninsula info

• moonwolf_gw
    12 years ago

I live in beautiful Central Pennsylvania and have done so all of my life. I love it here. Beautiful forests and farmlands just full of wildlife. The winters can be pretty cold here but it's just as beautiful here in winter as the rest of the year. I can't grow my hoyas outside year round like most people but they do love the warm weather. It's nice and hot here today, but we do need the rain.

Excellent post, Tammypie!

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• debbie_ny
    12 years ago

I'm originally from Wilmington, Delaware...now living on Long Island in NY...totally over-rated. Living in NY is like one continuous headache...lol! But I have hoyas thriving here, so I shouldn't complain! LMAO!

• pirate_girl
    12 years ago

Welcome Everybody,

Hey Poseidon - hope when your blooms are about to open, you'll favor us w/ some pix, I'm sure we'd all like to see Hoyas which have come down through time from your neighbor's mother -- sounds exciting!! Also, sounds like it's going to be beautiful -- Good luck!!

• wrynsmom
    12 years ago

Well, I'm a displaced Texan (26 years), currently living in Roy, Utah (since March 2005), by way of Kaiserslautern, Germany (March 2002-March 2005). hahaha

Carolyn

• marco
    12 years ago

Thank you, pirate girl. I have a neighbor who is a photographer. I asked him if he would take some pics and he said yes. The second penduncle that is starting to bloom doesn't even have leaves formed around it yet.

I also asked my neighbor to take a pic of the original plant, sitting on my "adopted grandma's" patio, which bloomed thru out it's time indoors in Ohio but NEVER bloomed once on Florida for her. She has lived here for 50 years and not one bloom. This year, as a result of me and another neighboor taking cuttings, her plant bloomed twice.

I love inspecting them for new leaves and penduncles every morning.

Poseidon

• dmichael619
    12 years ago

I was born in Myrtle Beach, S.C. in June of 1967!! Lived there up until December of 1982 then we moved here to where I currently reside in Murrells Inlet which is about 20 minutes South of Myrtle Beach.

David

• golden_ca_2000
    12 years ago

I live in BEAUTIFUL B.C. (Canada) born and raised here... Beautiful Mountains, Rivers and Lakes... and has the best FISHING!! :0)

• Denise
    12 years ago

I have to say that I'm finding this post very interesting! I always wonder where people are from. Pug - I lived on Guam for 2 years with my USAF ex. California for a couple years, too. Kidsandcats - I understand! I was very excited to live outside the Midwest when my ex went into the USAF, but in the end, I couldn't wait to get back here, to the drastic season changes... P24, it would be so cool to know you have a plant that came from an interesting and traveled past! I look at my plants that I know started in Australia differently and with awe - maybe I'm weird! PG - I didn't know (or maybe I forgot...age sucks) that you grew up in Rio. And it's so great you live so close to the ocean... wow. It's only 1500 miles to either ocean for me (only 1000 to the gulf.) The only sand I ever see is on a playground, where neighborhood kitties come to poop! LOL!!

For those of you who live where you can't grow them outside year round and long to live in a warm climate... Yes, it would be cool. But once upon a time when I was expressing my jealousy to a C&S buddy who lived where he could grow them outside, he made a point that changed my attitude. He said, "For you to grow these plants in your extreme climate takes a lot of research, talent and perseverance. ANYone can grow them here!"

Denise in Omaha

• squidy
    12 years ago

I'm from western Washington, currently Kirkland. :)

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    12 years ago

Hello, everyone!

Northern California here, outside of Auburn in the foothills of the Sierra Nevada mountains.
    I've lived in California all my life, and couldn't imagine being anywhere else.

Josh

• tammypie
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi greenman28, No. California is beautiful!

TammyPie

• quinnfyre
    12 years ago

I'm from Chicago, but I have lived in central IL, Iowa, Alaska, and now Philadelphia. Hoping to move to Austin TX. And hopefully I won't be moving too much more. I think I'm getting closer to 'home'. I'd like to see what I think of New Mexico sometime. But Chicago will always be my hometown. Luckily, my family lives there, so I can see both them and my hometown too when I visit.

• ricfl
    12 years ago

I'm Ric I live in St. Petersburg Florida. Originally from the Azores, a group of nine islands in the middle of the Atlantic ocean. I lived in Boston where I went to school and moved to Florida 10 years ago.

• sorie6 zone 6b
    12 years ago

I live in Denver, Colo. I just found this forum! Great info here.

• marco
    12 years ago

Hi Ric, I'm in St.Pete, too. While living in Boston, I worked with many Portugese people from the Azores for over 25 years. Most lived in Peobody. Made many good friends there.

Poseidon24

• peanut01
    12 years ago

Denise: Very good perspective about growing plants out of zone. I like the way you and your friend think. I just know in my lifetime I want to create an amazing C&S outdoor garden somewhere. I also want to create a lush jungle garden somewhere in my lifetime too. A rocky alpine garden is also tempting too. Too much to do too little $$$ and time. lol

Thanks for making this post Tammy.

@Golden - I am jealous of your fishing and your locale. BC seems like it is a wonderful paradise in the Pacific Northwest. I would love to see some of the cougars and bears that live up there in person, and maybe even catch a sturgeon or two.

-David

12 years ago

Hello, Tammy!

Ric, my family (father's side, Carvalho) are from Terceira in the Azores.
    I've always wanted to visit and see all the islands for myself.

David, I just saw a massive black bear two weeks ago.
    It was easily 500 pounds, but long-legged and fast...just a young one.
    Been about two years since I've seen a mountain lion, though.

Josh

• greedygh0st
    12 years ago

I was born in Champaign-Urbana, Illinois.

Spent my childhood in Raleigh, North Carolina.

Spent late childhood and adolescent years in St. Paul, Minnesota.

Went to Winston-Salem, North Carolina for college.

Returned to Minneapolis, Minnesota for grad school.

And from there to here, Omaha, Nebraska, like Denise. I've had residence here for a year and I enjoy this spot. Minneapolis-St. Paul will always be my "hometown," though.

It's funny the way we can live our lives jumping around and still identify as being "from somewhere." It seems kind of random when I read these lists we're writing out, but I know from experience that the gut feeling is unmistakeable.

I totally agree that it's a fun challenge to grow tropical plants in non-tropical places. Plus, for me, it's like having my cake and eating it too. I would melt in a tropical climate, but I can't help wanting that vibrancy in my life in some form.

Isn't British Columbia where the "grolars" live? :3

• Harrison871
    12 years ago

hi everyone!

Im from Ft Lauderdale Florida,I lived in St Pete when I was in College. Now back in Ft Lauderdale ;P I'm a Florida girl through and through.

• pirate_girl
    12 years ago

Hey again folks,

Hey Josh, did you know that Canary Islands (& am guessing also the Azores) are the native home of Aeoniums? They're fellow Crassulacae, cousins of Jades, etc. I've always been curious to see how they grow in their place of origin.

Hiya Denise,

I too agree about that perspective on growing out of natural zone. I've often thought that about folks who can grow Crassula ovata here in the Northeast. I was able to in Philly, but not here; go figure.

12 years ago

Karen, I did not know that!
    I have one Aeonium...now I'll think of it differently ;-)

Josh

• lovingmy4babies
    12 years ago

This post IS really interesting- I love learning where everyone is from. I lived in Texas for a year as a kid, twice, and I can remember it so vividly. I kind of miss it now, but I didn't love it so much when I was there. lol I wonder if it's easier to grow Hoya there than it is here?

• cyclonenat
    12 years ago

hi mitzi does your profile on facebook have a photo?

• tammypie
    Original Author
    12 years ago

kidsandcats, what part of Texas are you from?

• tammypie
    Original Author
    12 years ago

My Facebook is Tamara Sammut and my email is: tamsammut55@gmail.com

• mitzicos
    12 years ago

@ cyclonenat,

Hi, yes it has a picture of me and my daughter, I cannot post the link here right now because FB is bloocked on my work!

Anyway my email for facebook is mitzicos@hotmail.com or mitzicos@gmail.com.... I think it is hotmail.

Mitzi

• lovingmy4babies
    12 years ago

Tammy- I'm not really *from* Texas(I'm a Georgia gal)- I lived out there twice as a kid, a year both times. The first was in Galveston(I believe) and the second was Fort Worth.

Mitzi- I *think* I sent you a friend request on FB- mine is Deborah White.

• ricfl
    12 years ago

Josh, small world! I was born in Terceira and lived there until I was twelve. My family name in Moreira and Pereira on my mothers side. Voce falha Portugues??

Poseidon, you must be near by...email me, maybe we can meet and talk hoyas.

12 years ago

Hey, that's awesome!
    I wish I could speak Portuguese, but a little Spanish is all I can muster.
    My grandmother was not allowed to speak Portuguese once her family was here,
    so we've lost out on a lot of family history. We do have a family farm in Fresno, however.
    Many Azoreans settled there.

Josh

• mel_10
    12 years ago

It's great to finally know where everyone is located! I'm a native to Montana, lived here all my life. Currently, the hubby and I are in North Central Montana....a few more miles and we'd be Canadian! :)

Mel

• mitzicos
    12 years ago

Hi Josh and ricfl,

I speak Portuguese!

Moreira and Pereira is a commom name here and my grandfather was Pereira!!! Small world!

Mitzi

• greedygh0st
    12 years ago

Ahh, Montana. That's where I'd go to live if I had no attachments, I think.

• quinnfyre
    12 years ago

I want to live in Montana but am totally spoiled by being in zone 7. I don't want to go back to zone 5. Or lower. Did you know Anchorage is actually zone 5? You'd think it would be lower but it isn't. I was surprised. That's pretty much what it is in Chicago, roughly. Although, you do get that 19 hrs of daylight thing going on during the summer. That makes it difficult to grow plants that get their cues from the hours of daylight it gets. But others don't care. I think tomatoes care, but potatoes don't. There was such a glorious selection of different kinds of potatoes available at the farmers' market. My favorite was a small potato with this odd almost papery skin that was easily scrubbed off and delicious roasted with salmon or trout. There was also this blue potato with an almost metallic looking skin, that was a deep dark blue all the way through, that retained its blueness even after boiling.

Ok, now I'm hungry again. :)

• bama_gardener
    12 years ago

What a fun thread! I am located in Mobile, Alabama (sunny, humid and hot). I have lived briefly in Mississippi, 7/8 years in Dallas, Texas (go Cowboys), 16 years in the San Francisco Bay area (loved it there) and am back "home" in Mobile with family. This is a great group of people and all of you make it feel like "home" as well. I have learned so much from all of you.
    Beverly

• Denise
    12 years ago

Mel,

Ah-ha! Montana - it's your great state that's causing the Missouri river flooding we're having. At least that's what they tell us. I hear you still have quite a bit of snow in the mountains. But really, I've heard it's beautiful country. I'd probably be happy as a clam up there, too!

Denise in Omaha

• banannas
    12 years ago

Dang take a little hiatus and look what you are all up to. I don't know if you need FB now or if this will be an adequate substitute.

Currently reside in sunny sandy eggo!

Grew-up in Northern California (Bootjack and Merced for those who have heard of them) Went to college in Turlock, CA

Moved to Minneapolis on a lark and stayed there off and on for 6 years while I traveled back and forth between it and mostly Nepal but other places as well (32 countries and counting)

Then wanted to move back to California and my brother and one sister where living in San Diego so I said what the heck and been here the past 5 years.

• klyde
    12 years ago

Hi everyone:

Haven't posted in a while, but I've been checking in here and there. So neat to read where everyone is from!

I'm a Western Canadian! Born, raised, and undergrad in Edmonton, Alberta. Graduate school and lived for a few years in Winnipeg, Manitoba. Worked, lived in Vancouver, British Columbia. Currently living and collecting hoyas in Victoria on Vancouver Island, BC.

Wow, what a widespread bunch we are...

Kelly in Victoria

• mel_10
    12 years ago

Denise ~ Yes, it is MT that is causing a lot of the flooding in the Missouri River. But don't worry, we are flooding ourselves out as well! :) It is absolutely beautiful here, and has a little something for everyone.

Quinn ~ I had to laugh at your post. DH and myself often talk about moving to Alaska. At the very least I would love to visit for a few weeks or months! If only to see blue potatoes.....The zoning does kind of stink, I am acutally zone 3 so it is very hard to grow much of anything outside with the short summers.

Mel

Sponsored