Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kellyknits

Hoya serpens

kellyknits
12 years ago

Woo Hoo! There was a time when I thought I might lose this plant. Ended up transferring it from the mix in came to hydroton and it's done much better.

Has a bit of a menthol scent - fairly strong in the evening.

Comments (23)

• puglvr1
    12 years ago

BEAUTIFUL Kelly!! Wow...Congrats! I don't know if I'll ever see any of those gorgeous blooms on my small serpens but I can dream...Thanks for posting!

• golden_ca_2000
    12 years ago

Yes... STUNNING! I LOVE the second shot! Serpens is one of my Favorites ... Cant wait to see those lovely flowers on mine!

• lovingmy4babies
    12 years ago

Wow- too pretty! I've been reluctant to try this one because I heard it was difficult.

• stevenwayne
    12 years ago

wow beautiful blooms i didnt know u lived so close im like 45 mins away from u

• mitzicos
    12 years ago

kellyknits,

Thanks for sharing your lovely hoyas.
    You said that you transfered to hydroton, is only hydroton? Nothing else?

Mitzi

• ima_digger
    12 years ago

Kelly, that's a pretty little plant, with georgeous blooms. I love it.

• kellyknits
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Mitzi,
    It's hydroton and perlite.

Stevenwayne,
    Let me know where you are!

Kidsandcats,
    This one did very well in the mix it came in for a couple of years, then went downhill. Think it was time for repotting - which wasn't easy because it's a bunch of rooted plants! Was actually easier to just start it over in the semi-hydro. It's doing well now! Don't be scared to try it - just make sure you're keeping it in a cool location.

Kelly

• golden_ca_2000
    12 years ago

What camera do you use... it takes nice close up shots?

• stevenwayne
    12 years ago

i live in pittsburgh

• cpawl
    12 years ago

Kelly that is a beautiful hoya.I hope I can grow it as nice as you.I am getting a small cutting this month.
    I have been having a hard time this spring and summer with killing so many so my fingers are crossed for this one.

Cindy

• squidy
    12 years ago

That
    is the second cutest fuzziest thing I have seen all day, right after this picture of a moth:
    http://30.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lhzbcgLvaz1qerv8ko1_500.jpg

Seriously a gorgeous plant, congrats~

• kellyknits
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Squidy,
    I LOVE the moth! How cute!

Cindy,
    This is a good one for a northern window. Hope you have luck with it- it's a cutey!

Stevenwayne,
    Shoot, I'm a little further away than I thought! I'm in the other WV pandhandle, closer to DC/Baltimore.

Kelly

• kellyknits
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Golden-
    The camera is a Canon Powershot A2000 IS. I also use a Canon Powershot SD780- it's a tiny little pocket camera. Both are great cameras! The SD780 is listed on Amazon for $268 and I found a refurbished one on eBay for $80. Will definitely go that route going forward when replacing cameras!

• suetran1
    12 years ago

Kelly, is the flowers keep the green color? So lovely. I put that one on my list.
    sue

• kellyknits
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Sue,
    The flowers look slightly darker green under the fluorescent lights. Not seeing any changes in the color though!

• mdahms1979
    12 years ago

Congratulations Kelly on blooming one of the Hoyas that tends to be a problem child for so many. I am pretty sure that there are a couple other peduncles visible in your photo so hopefully soon you will get to see even more blooms.

These blooms always remind me of some sort of green fuzzy creature. Do they make green teddy bears? LOL

Mike

• peanut01
    12 years ago

I love all the textures of this plant in bloom. Great shots Kelly!!! I cannot wait for my little serpens to grow up. The pace of my plants growth is 6 leaves appear then 2 die back, so eventually I'll have a large plant.

Aphids like serpens. I think it is almost like caviar to them. I am constantly smushing the little boogers, but haven't seen any for about 2 weeks and I'll keep my fingers crossed.

-David

• greedygh0st
    12 years ago

I'm with you, Mike, in being reminded of some of the modern stuffed animals they have out on the market these days. There is something about this one, especially as captured by Kelly's extraordinary photos, that reminds me of a baby blanket or similar plushy item. Like so:

Source: Yoshi Gizmo Photostream

Congratulations, Kelly! You are a force to behold!

• rennfl
    12 years ago

Kelly, those are beautiful pictures of a great plant. I too love my serpens.

Renee

• tammypie
    12 years ago

My H. Serpens blooms a couple of years ago. I love this hoya!

• tammypie
    12 years ago

Absolutely beautiful, Kelly! Your's is much more greener the vibrant than mine, what is your secret other than keeping her in hydroton?

TammyPie

• squidy
    12 years ago

Tammy, your plant is gorgeous too!
    I gotta confess, ever since seeing this thread serpens has been at the top of my list. I just want to be Thumbelina-sized and snuggle up amongst the blooms.

• tammypie
    12 years ago

Hi sqidy,

Yeah H. Serpens is one of my favorite hoyas, but not easiest to grow.