Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jan_sword

I've got some eye candy for you!

I've received Hoya australis "Mrs G" seeds from another forum on 7/12/08, 7/15/08 they've sprouted!!!!

I've sprinkled very little peat based soil today.

I'll try to keep you up to date on the progress. It is very exciting to me because I have never tried to grow Hoya from the seeds.

Jan

Comments (74)

• o7sugar
    15 years ago

Hi Jan!!! I just came across this thread today and really enjoyed being able to watch from first little sprout to now!!! It's truly cool to see!!!! How are those pachyclada babies coming along?? Any luck??? I wouldn't mind adopting one of those myself in the future! ;)
    Well anyway, can't wait for more pics to arrive!!!! See you around!
    -Nicole-

• PRO
    Jan Sword-Rossman Realty 239-470-6061
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I was able to transplant these seedlings 3 days ago, I've decided to pot 3 seedlings in 2" pots together due to not having enough room.

• shanna5
    15 years ago

Oh my goodness Jan, I can't wait to see what the leaf is going to look like when it gets bigger. Congrats!

shanna

• haxuan
    15 years ago

Wow, Jan, the seedlings are so cute! Looks like you're gonna have a lot of hoyas to care for. Please keep the pix coming so we can follow the progress. Thanks.

Xuan

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    15 years ago

Thanks for sharing the progress of your babies Jan, compared to some seedlings Hoyas look like they're pretty sturdy from the get go.

Annette

• treelover3
    15 years ago

Hi Jan,
    Wow, very cool! I've never seen hoya seedlings before.

Please be sure that you do NOT label any of the seedlings as Hoya australis 'Mrs G' since these are seedlings and will be different from the actual cultivar, 'Mrs G'.

If any of the seedlings turns out to be superior, I would give the plant its own cultivar name.

Please keep us updated on the progress of the seedlings.
    Thanks,
    Mike

• PRO
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Here is are the babies 3 months old. Quarter is in the pot to compare to the leaf size.
    Thanks everyone, it is more fun with these babies because I get to share the progress with my Hoya buddies LOL.
    Shanna, you can see some of the veins on the leaves.
    Xuan, I have too many seedlings. I am going to sell some and trade some when they get bigger.
    Annette, yes they are sturdier than my pachyclada seedlings( I have 1 pachyclada surviver).
    Mike, I am not sure if I can keep all of them to get big enough for them to flower because I have so many of them. I just hope nothing happens to them while I am away for 4 days. I just noticed the leaves are not pairing up together, I wonder if that will change as they get bigger? Hmmmm.

• gabro14
    15 years ago

What a wonderful seedling diary, Jan! You really did a great job growing these babies...congrats!

Keep the updates up!

Gabi

• hannabella75
    15 years ago

Jan, I was hoping the quarter in the pot was for the price! Darn! Let us all know when your babies are ready for sale, I am sure you will have no trouble finding homes for them.

• o7sugar
    15 years ago

These are just soooo stinkin cute!!!!!! I have to also agree that even though there cute they sure do look pretty rugged!!! Whomever gets these little babies, it should be a requirement they take pics when they bloom so we can see if they possibly differ in any way ;)
    Thanks again for posting and keeping us up to date!!
    -Nicole-

• shanna5
    15 years ago

Your doing a great job Jan. Keep up the good work.

shanna

• PRO
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Gabi, Hanna, Nicole, Shanna, thanks!
    I'll update time to time.
    Jan

• haxuan
    15 years ago

You did well, Jan. Mine seeds sprouted but then I went up to Dalat (intended to bring them along but forgot!) and they rotted because no one remembered to open the lid for ventilation!!!

Please keep the photos of your seedlings coming. Thanks.

Xuan

• PRO
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Update on seedlings. They are still in 2" pots.

• Mentha
    14 years ago

well, look at that! They look about the size they'll be eating you out of house & home soon :D congrats on keeping them alive for so long!

• treelover3
    14 years ago

Wow, thanks for the update! Very cool!
    Mike

• kellyknits
    14 years ago

Beautiful! Great job, Jan!

• puglvr1
    14 years ago

Jan, I should just send you my seedpod! You seem to have the magic touch...great job! Appreciate the update.

• gootziecat
    14 years ago

Some of us couldn't have done this. Pat yourself on the back for a job well done!!

Sande

• ladygreensleeves
    14 years ago

Wow...what a wonderful job you did. Nothing like taking a little seed and watching it mature into a beautiful plant. Job well done indeed.

Wish I could find some Hoya seed.

Regina

• johanna76
    14 years ago

I've been waiting and wondering! Thanks for the update!

• haxuan
    14 years ago

The seedlings look fantastic. Thanks for updating, Jan.

Xuan

• PRO
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks everyone. I was told by an expert H. australis Mrs G grow very compact compared to other australis.
    Nancy, you can send me the pod if you don't want to try.
    Ladygreen, where are you located? East coast?

• ladygreensleeves
    14 years ago

Jan1....located in the Palm Beach area....you?

• PRO
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I am in Cape Coral. West coast.

• ladygreensleeves
    14 years ago

Ahhhh....straight across the state from me.

I am guessing that the plants are now about 4-6 inches tall? All in one years time? Amazing results anyway you look at it! Did you use a heat/grow mat? Indoors/outdoors,greenhouse?

• PRO
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I started indoors without heat mat, brought them out to my lanai and slowly into part sunlight. They are still in my lanai.

• cena60
    14 years ago

Jan, how amazing is THAT!
    Thank you SO MUCH for the pictorial diary... I've missed this thread for an entire year, if you can imagine THAT!

I've got a kerrii seed pod ripening as we speak. It is from last year's flower season, for some reason most of hoya's pop pods in the middle of our West Coast winters or in Spring.

I tried starting seeds two years ago, but didn't have the forsight that you did with covering tightly and caterpillars found my booty. :(

Wanna trade pod for... whatever?
    I'll go slap panty hose on it this minute if you say Yes!

It is still growing, fat and barely four inches long. I would say another week or so of heat and it should ripen. But I've misjudged 'that' day before, hence the hose toe treatment!

Let me know, my email thing through here hasn't worked for years. But I will calendar mark to check back here.

I need to post some kitty pictures.

I've had a fun techno year... Camera problems, computer problems, DS problems with doing bizarre things to my computer!

Thanks for the fantastic show!

• PRO
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi Cena, thanks for your offer but I have a pachyclada seed pods currently so I have to pass on trading. Once seedlings get bigger I wouldn't have room for all of them. Seeds are only viable for a short periods so you need to sow right away.

• ladygreensleeves
    14 years ago

Jan when will your babies be ready to adopt out? Would love to have one for a trade or ?

Someday maybe one of my plants will give me a seed pod so that I can try growing some babies of my own. Or find someone who will do a trade for a pod....lol.

Regina

• golden_ca_2000
    14 years ago

Thanks so much for sharing your WHOLE process from seed to lovely little plants - very interesting! And they look really healthy!

• puglvr1
    14 years ago

Regina, I have a Pubicalyx Pink Silver Seed Pod(not quite ready yet...would love to trade you. I am not very good at growing seeds, so let me know of you're interested...Sent you an email. Let me know if you don't get it.

• angolita
    12 years ago

Hi Jan1_2007,hope you'll see this post.You did an excellent job on growing your hoya seeds.Can you possibly send me your instructions on how to start Hoya from seed?
    My email address is dior2versace@yahoo.com.

Thanks,Angela :)

• trevor05
    12 years ago

Hi there! :) I am also very much interested on ways how to make my hoyas produce seedpods.. With your kind indulgence, can u share with us the procedure? Thanks. :) My email add: trevorpascual@yahoo.com.ph

• mdahms1979
    12 years ago

I would reccomend using the search function on the forum because we have had several very good threads on this topic.
    Search for Hoya seeds as well as Hoya pollination and you should get quite a lot of information.

Hoyas are epiphytes that have seeds much like their relatives the Milkweeds in the genus Asclepias. If you are fortunate to get the fresh seeds with the seed floss attached then just press them onto the top of the potting mix and keep them moist (mini greenhouse) and in bright light. If the seeds have been cleaned of the floss you follow the same procedure.

Mike

• greentoe357
    10 years ago

I wonder how these plants are now doing, Jan. Have any flowered?

Generally, how much time passes between sowing a seed to a flowering plant. I understand it will be different for different species and culture, but at least a rough guideline would be interesting. The reason I am asking is because next time a seed opportunity comes up, I want to know if I should bother.

Great job on these! What was the mix for seed germination?

• pirate_girl
    10 years ago

Hi Eugene,

It's me, hello there. Still kinda busy, that' why I'm not posting much. I did wish to share that the key thing w/ Hoya seeds seems to be freshness. They're supposed to be planted ASAP & are said not to hold well.

In your reading here if you searched for discussions abt growing Hoyas from seeds, you may have seen a thread of mine abt seeds from Ltran (I forgot which Hoya it was). They did well, lasted abt a year & I don't recall what happened, they probably dried out.

But she sent me fresh seeds & I planted them ASAP, had good germination results I recall.

So if in future, you can get seed from here or a swap or someone sort of in person, that'd be preferable over sending away for/buying seeds, abt which folks could say anything they wanted abt freshness & one would never know differently.

Denise, are you around? Have you grown many Hoyas from seed? I don't seem to recall hearing you talk abt it. TIA & regards,

(PG) Karen

• greentoe357
    10 years ago

>> you may have seen a thread of mine abt seeds from Ltran (I forgot which Hoya it was). They did well, lasted abt a year & I don't recall what happened, they probably dried out.

Yes, I saw that thread! There was a bunch of people who got those seeds, and results were very different. It was interesting to see. I do not know if I have the patience for growing hoya from seed though. I wonder how long it takes to flowering.

• tlbean2004
    8 years ago

What ever happened to the seedlings?

• PRO
    Original Author
    8 years ago

This is one of the seedling, looks just like mother plant but little more husky. It has been flowering for about 3-4 years now. The other seedlings I sold them because I couldn't keep them all.

• laticauda
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Lol, wow Jan!

so the cuttings you send out are from a seed-grown plant?

• PRO
    Original Author
    8 years ago

laticauda, No. From mother plant.

• laticauda
    8 years ago

I thought about that after posting. It wouldn't be called Mrs. G if it came from that seed plant.

• ima_digger
    8 years ago

WOW, Jan. I lost track of your post because of the changes on Gardenweb. Was happy to see you had success. How are the flowers comparing to mama plant? Are they similar, or better. Most hoya flowers are so similiar, it's hard to distinguish them one from another. Have four or five publcalyx varieties and sometimes when they flower, I really don't see much of a difference. I just love that when they flower, they fill the air with beautiful fragrance.

• PRO
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Ima, how are you? Mama & baby flowers about the same. I am pretty sure it was selfed.

• ima_digger
    8 years ago

I'm doing good for an 80 year old. Do not spend much time on garden web since the changes. I'm into African Violets now. I have two shelf units-5 shelves each. I do the RRs for leaves and have about 50 now. My hoya are outside on the patio under the roof. Get some rain when the wind blows. I've sore of neglected them. I love when they bloom though. We sit outside in the evening and the fragrance is beautiful. I wished they bloomed more often than once a year. I may bring some inside and put some of the smaller leaved ones on a shelf instead of the violets. I am on Facebook more than here on Gardenweb. I can't get used to all the changes. It was easier before because i had tabs for the hoya forum, african violet forum, and the cactus forum. Now I just go to African violets and only when we are active in a RR, which is now. Most of the violet people went to facebook. Such is the times, changing, changing. Good to see you are still with the hoya. Keep up the great work.

• laticauda
    8 years ago

What is an RR?

• PRO
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Round Robin for trading.

• ima_digger
    8 years ago

I belong to a few african violet forums, and we usually have the round robins in the spring and then again in the fall. It's a great way to increase your collection. there is one going on now here in GW. I was in the spring one, and it was so confusing because the posts were not just about the round robin. It was hard to follow where the box was, and when you could expect it. This fall RR is a lot easier. I can't find the link for it, I just get an email when someone posts to it. Very difficult process for me. LOL

Sponsored
Industry Leading General Contractors in Pickerington
More Discussions