Return to the Hoya Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I've got some eye candy for you!

Posted by jan1_2007 10 (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 15, 08 at 7:38

I've received Hoya australis "Mrs G" seeds from another forum on 7/12/08, 7/15/08 they've sprouted!!!!
I've sprinkled very little peat based soil today.
I'll try to keep you up to date on the progress. It is very exciting to me because I have never tried to grow Hoya from the seeds.
Jan
Mrs G seedlings

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I've got some eye candy for you!

Wow- now that's exciting! The little seedlings look so delicate- how will you transplant them?

Kelly

o

How cool is that, Jan?! I've never sprouted hoya seeds before. You can consider them original plants when they get bigger.

TammyPie

o

Kelly, I am going to keep adding more soil as time goes on. I am going to wait for the seedlings get the true leaves before I transplant them.
Tammypie, it's first for me.
Jan

o

That's pretty cool Jan. Keep us posted and I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. I've never even seen Hoya seeds before. Very interesting...

o

Day 9.
Australis Mrs G day10

o

Wow!! Look at all those tiny little leaves, that's really cool Jan...Keep us in the loop!

o

I guess it's actually 6 days old since sprouted, 9days since I started. Amazing how fast they are growing!!!
Fun sharing this experience with you all.
I am going to add some more soil as time goes by.
Jan

o

Fun to see Jan, good for you. I envy your having Hoya seed to work from.

A couple of yrs ago I was given Lacunosa seed & they were adorable like yours. Unfortuantely, I accidentally let them dry out (weren't wrapped like yours) & that was the end of them, sadly. Your young crop of seedlings sparks a lovely memory of them (in transparent egg carton).

Keep a close eye & best of luck w/ them!

o

awwww, those are so cute. I can't wait to see what they turn out to be.

o

7/28/08 13 days old, you can actualy see the true leaves emerging on some of the seedlings.

o

Way to go, Jan. AWESOME seedlings!!! Do you know where you are going to keep them? I hope you have a greenhouse. You are gonna have to have lots of room. LOL

o

Thanks for the update Jan. Those are really cool. Ima's right you are going to have a lot of plants(growing big) in no time...

o

I don't know yet where I am going to put them all, maybe sell some trade some and keep some. LOL
Jan

o
RE: I've got some eye candy for you!!

I have a pachyclada seed pod too so I am going to have lots of baby hoyas. Hoya seeds are only viable short period of time I was told.
Jan

o

Jan, these look so good! I sowed some H. acuta seeds about 5 days ago and so far no action. Yes, hoya seeds are only good for a very short time, I can't remember exactly how long, but a few days may be all for some varieties. The one time I got seed pods on a pubicalyx, I didn't know that, I just popped them in an envelope for later! It would have been a Pink Silver/varigated carnosa cross, which I am sure the world has plenty of, but it still would have been exciting to sow some myself.

These look SO fresh and healthy....but what is australis "Mrs G"? Never heard of it, is there another name for it?

One part of seedlings I hate is having to thin them out when it comes time to transplant, you don't want to have to sacrifice any, and I am talking about when only growing your average impatiens or begonia seedlings...I can imagine how much I would want to save each and every hoya seedling!

o

ines, here is information on MRS G curtesy of Hawwaii grower.
Hoya cv. Mrs. G

This cultivar is a suspected seedling of H. australis subsp. keysii out of a nursery in Oregon. As H. australis subsp. keysii was the only hoya in bloom at the time, suspicions are rather certain.

H. cv. Mrs. G's leaves have the same slight pubesence on the very dark green upper side as the suspected parent. The bottoms of the leaves are more pubescent, a lighter green, a prominent costa and slightly recurved margins. The leaves are elliptic with a cuspidate tip 100mm long x 60 wide/80mm long x 45mm wide

Flowers are as H. australis subsp. keysii flowers are in shape, form and color and the fragrance is strong. The cultivar blooms often with many long lasting flowers, and tends to bloom earlier than H. australis subsp. keysii.

This cultivar has been in circulation for a number of years as Hoya 'Mrs. G' and prior to this writing, has not been published.

Herbarium specimen Noel #007 is being deposited at the US Herbarium, Smithsonian Institution.

o

8/04/08 20 days old, I've been adding soil(now about 1 ") little at a time. Some of the true leaves are getting bigger now.

o

How wonderful! You're doing a great job, Jan!

Kelly

o

Wow! I'd be one proud hoya mama if that was my booty! Way to go, Jan!

o

Kelley& Imatallum, thanks! it's very exciting to the seedlings grow.
Jan

o

These babies are 6 weeks old.
Mrs G 82908

o

WOW!!!Look at those itty, bitty babies. They are so cute!!
Jan, you must be one proud Mama. ^_^

o

Jan, I am sooo jealous, please keep posting pics so we can follow your progress. I really enjoy this thread!

o

Ima, yes I am a very proud mama.
Hanna, I'll update once in a while.
I am going to attempt to transplant these babies next month unless they are still too small, they will stay in that container for awhile.
Jan

o

Hi Jan!!! I just came across this thread today and really enjoyed being able to watch from first little sprout to now!!! It's truly cool to see!!!! How are those pachyclada babies coming along?? Any luck??? I wouldn't mind adopting one of those myself in the future! ;)
Well anyway, can't wait for more pics to arrive!!!! See you around!
-Nicole-

o

I was able to transplant these seedlings 3 days ago, I've decided to pot 3 seedlings in 2" pots together due to not having enough room.
mrs g 90508
mrs g90508

o

• Posted by shanna5 Zone 6, Missouri (My Page) on
    Fri, Sep 5, 08 at 16:16

Oh my goodness Jan, I can't wait to see what the leaf is going to look like when it gets bigger. Congrats!

shanna

o

Wow, Jan, the seedlings are so cute! Looks like you're gonna have a lot of hoyas to care for. Please keep the pix coming so we can follow the progress. Thanks.

Xuan

o

Thanks for sharing the progress of your babies Jan, compared to some seedlings Hoyas look like they're pretty sturdy from the get go.

Annette

o

Hi Jan,
Wow, very cool! I've never seen hoya seedlings before.

Please be sure that you do NOT label any of the seedlings as Hoya australis 'Mrs G' since these are seedlings and will be different from the actual cultivar, 'Mrs G'.

If any of the seedlings turns out to be superior, I would give the plant its own cultivar name.

Please keep us updated on the progress of the seedlings.
Thanks,
Mike

o

Here is are the babies 3 months old. Quarter is in the pot to compare to the leaf size.
Thanks everyone, it is more fun with these babies because I get to share the progress with my Hoya buddies LOL.
Shanna, you can see some of the veins on the leaves.
Xuan, I have too many seedlings. I am going to sell some and trade some when they get bigger.
Annette, yes they are sturdier than my pachyclada seedlings( I have 1 pachyclada surviver).
Mike, I am not sure if I can keep all of them to get big enough for them to flower because I have so many of them. I just hope nothing happens to them while I am away for 4 days. I just noticed the leaves are not pairing up together, I wonder if that will change as they get bigger? Hmmmm.
mrs g 10/17/06

o

What a wonderful seedling diary, Jan! You really did a great job growing these babies...congrats!

Keep the updates up!

Gabi

o

Jan, I was hoping the quarter in the pot was for the price! Darn! Let us all know when your babies are ready for sale, I am sure you will have no trouble finding homes for them.

o

These are just soooo stinkin cute!!!!!! I have to also agree that even though there cute they sure do look pretty rugged!!! Whomever gets these little babies, it should be a requirement they take pics when they bloom so we can see if they possibly differ in any way ;)
Thanks again for posting and keeping us up to date!!
-Nicole-

o

• Posted by shanna5 Zone 6, Missouri (My Page) on
    Mon, Oct 20, 08 at 11:28

Your doing a great job Jan. Keep up the good work.

shanna

o

Gabi, Hanna, Nicole, Shanna, thanks!
I'll update time to time.
Jan

o

You did well, Jan. Mine seeds sprouted but then I went up to Dalat (intended to bring them along but forgot!) and they rotted because no one remembered to open the lid for ventilation!!!

Please keep the photos of your seedlings coming. Thanks.

Xuan

o

Update on seedlings. They are still in 2" pots.
mrs g 72109

o

well, look at that! They look about the size they'll be eating you out of house & home soon :D congrats on keeping them alive for so long!

o

Wow, thanks for the update! Very cool!
Mike

o

Beautiful! Great job, Jan!

o

Jan, I should just send you my seedpod! You seem to have the magic touch...great job! Appreciate the update.

o

Some of us couldn't have done this. Pat yourself on the back for a job well done!!

Sande

o

Wow...what a wonderful job you did. Nothing like taking a little seed and watching it mature into a beautiful plant. Job well done indeed.

Wish I could find some Hoya seed.

Regina

o

I've been waiting and wondering! Thanks for the update!

o

The seedlings look fantastic. Thanks for updating, Jan.

Xuan

o

Thanks everyone. I was told by an expert H. australis Mrs G grow very compact compared to other australis.
Nancy, you can send me the pod if you don't want to try.
Ladygreen, where are you located? East coast?

o

Jan1....located in the Palm Beach area....you?

o

I am in Cape Coral. West coast.

o

Ahhhh....straight across the state from me.

I am guessing that the plants are now about 4-6 inches tall? All in one years time? Amazing results anyway you look at it! Did you use a heat/grow mat? Indoors/outdoors,greenhouse?

o

I started indoors without heat mat, brought them out to my lanai and slowly into part sunlight. They are still in my lanai.

o

Jan, how amazing is THAT!
Thank you SO MUCH for the pictorial diary... I've missed this thread for an entire year, if you can imagine THAT!

I've got a kerrii seed pod ripening as we speak. It is from last year's flower season, for some reason most of hoya's pop pods in the middle of our West Coast winters or in Spring.

I tried starting seeds two years ago, but didn't have the forsight that you did with covering tightly and caterpillars found my booty. :(

Wanna trade pod for... whatever?
I'll go slap panty hose on it this minute if you say Yes!

It is still growing, fat and barely four inches long. I would say another week or so of heat and it should ripen. But I've misjudged 'that' day before, hence the hose toe treatment!

Let me know, my email thing through here hasn't worked for years. But I will calendar mark to check back here.

I need to post some kitty pictures.

I've had a fun techno year... Camera problems, computer problems, DS problems with doing bizarre things to my computer!

Thanks for the fantastic show!

o

Hi Cena, thanks for your offer but I have a pachyclada seed pods currently so I have to pass on trading. Once seedlings get bigger I wouldn't have room for all of them. Seeds are only viable for a short periods so you need to sow right away.

o

Jan when will your babies be ready to adopt out? Would love to have one for a trade or ?

Someday maybe one of my plants will give me a seed pod so that I can try growing some babies of my own. Or find someone who will do a trade for a pod....lol.

Regina

o

Thanks so much for sharing your WHOLE process from seed to lovely little plants - very interesting! And they look really healthy!

o

Regina, I have a Pubicalyx Pink Silver Seed Pod(not quite ready yet...would love to trade you. I am not very good at growing seeds, so let me know of you're interested...Sent you an email. Let me know if you don't get it.

o

Hi Jan1_2007,hope you'll see this post.You did an excellent job on growing your hoya seeds.Can you possibly send me your instructions on how to start Hoya from seed?
My email address is dior2versace@yahoo.com.

Thanks,Angela :)

o

Hi there! :) I am also very much interested on ways how to make my hoyas produce seedpods.. With your kind indulgence, can u share with us the procedure? Thanks. :) My email add: trevorpascual@yahoo.com.ph

o

I would reccomend using the search function on the forum because we have had several very good threads on this topic.
Search for Hoya seeds as well as Hoya pollination and you should get quite a lot of information.

Hoyas are epiphytes that have seeds much like their relatives the Milkweeds in the genus Asclepias. If you are fortunate to get the fresh seeds with the seed floss attached then just press them onto the top of the potting mix and keep them moist (mini greenhouse) and in bright light. If the seeds have been cleaned of the floss you follow the same procedure.

Mike

o

I wonder how these plants are now doing, Jan. Have any flowered?

Generally, how much time passes between sowing a seed to a flowering plant. I understand it will be different for different species and culture, but at least a rough guideline would be interesting. The reason I am asking is because next time a seed opportunity comes up, I want to know if I should bother.

Great job on these! What was the mix for seed germination?

o

Hi Eugene,

It's me, hello there. Still kinda busy, that' why I'm not posting much. I did wish to share that the key thing w/ Hoya seeds seems to be freshness. They're supposed to be planted ASAP & are said not to hold well.

In your reading here if you searched for discussions abt growing Hoyas from seeds, you may have seen a thread of mine abt seeds from Ltran (I forgot which Hoya it was). They did well, lasted abt a year & I don't recall what happened, they probably dried out.

But she sent me fresh seeds & I planted them ASAP, had good germination results I recall.

So if in future, you can get seed from here or a swap or someone sort of in person, that'd be preferable over sending away for/buying seeds, abt which folks could say anything they wanted abt freshness & one would never know differently.

Denise, are you around? Have you grown many Hoyas from seed? I don't seem to recall hearing you talk abt it. TIA & regards,

(PG) Karen

o

>> you may have seen a thread of mine abt seeds from Ltran (I forgot which Hoya it was). They did well, lasted abt a year & I don't recall what happened, they probably dried out.

Yes, I saw that thread! There was a bunch of people who got those seeds, and results were very different. It was interesting to see. I do not know if I have the patience for growing hoya from seed though. I wonder how long it takes to flowering.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hoya Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here